Anyone out there?

  • taichimumsy
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 23, 2007
      Howdy.
      I was just organizing some messages and realized I hadn't seen
      anything come through from this group for a couple months - is it
      still active?
      I'm still unschooling a couple young'uns in rural Skamania county, WA,
      and enjoying watching my college age daughters embark upon making
      their ways in the world.
      -Lori
    • MJ
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 24, 2007
        Well, I am still here but the group hasn't had much going on lately.  I guess I wondered the same myself.

        Monica Fellhoelter
      • Kelly Halldorson
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 24, 2007
          I'm still here.

          Kelly Halldorson

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 24, 2007
            Hi MJ and Kelly -

            Well, there's at least 3 of us!
            I guess the dearth of conversation proves that libertarian minded ladies
            are busy people.

            One of the things I've been involved with lately is helping to start up
            a new grocery co-op. While there are 3 co-op groceries across the
            Columbia in Portland (OR), there has never been one in Vancouver (WA).
            Although I live 30 miles from the target area for the new store, one of
            my daughters lives, works and goes to school right in the downtown
            Vancouver area, and I get into Vancouver/Portland at least weekly. If I
            want to buy organic or natural foods now, I have to drive into Vancouver
            or Portland to do it anyway.
            I have learned a lot by being a part of this process. We are currently
            gearing up for serious fund raising - seeking grants, preparing to start
            selling co-op shares, etc.

            Since I have a 6 y.o. son and 9 y.o. daughter at home, I'm still very
            active in homeschooling, and by default am active in whatever my kids
            are into - this has recently included participating in community theater
            productions, and the youth programs at our local community radio station.

            What are you ladies up to?
            -Lori

            I'm still here.

            Kelly Halldorson

            MJ wrote:

            > Well, I am still here but the group hasn't had much going on lately.
            > I guess I wondered the same myself.
            > Monica Fellhoelter

          • Erin
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 25, 2007
              Hi I'm new, just joined today. Saw this group a while back with no
              activity so I'm glad to see some new posts. Lori, that is
              wonderful. I would love to get something like that going in my area.

              Lately, I can't shake the feelings I have to put my beliefs into
              action. I'm not exactly sure how to go about it and I really wish I
              could connect with more people with Libertarian views. I don't know
              a single mother IRL who feels the way I do.

              ~Erin

              --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, Lori Loranger <lori@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi MJ and Kelly -
              >
              > Well, there's at least 3 of us!
              > I guess the dearth of conversation proves that libertarian minded
              ladies
              > are busy people.
              >
              > One of the things I've been involved with lately is helping to
              start up
              > a new grocery co-op. While there are 3 co-op groceries across the
              > Columbia in Portland (OR), there has never been one in Vancouver
              (WA).
              > Although I live 30 miles from the target area for the new store,
              one of
              > my daughters lives, works and goes to school right in the downtown
              > Vancouver area, and I get into Vancouver/Portland at least weekly.
              If I
              > want to buy organic or natural foods now, I have to drive into
              Vancouver
              > or Portland to do it anyway.
              > I have learned a lot by being a part of this process. We are
              currently
              > gearing up for serious fund raising - seeking grants, preparing to
              start
              > selling co-op shares, etc.
              >
              > Since I have a 6 y.o. son and 9 y.o. daughter at home, I'm still
              very
              > active in homeschooling, and by default am active in whatever my
              kids
              > are into - this has recently included participating in community
              theater
              > productions, and the youth programs at our local community radio
              station.

              > What are you ladies up to?
              > -Lori
              >
              > I'm still here.
              >
              > Kelly Halldorson
              >
              > MJ wrote:
              > >
              > > Well, I am still here but the group hasn't had much going on
              lately.
              > > I guess I wondered the same myself.
              > > Monica Fellhoelter

            • Jean Alexander
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 26, 2007
                At times this group has been active. Perhaps we can come up with
                some ideas that could be pursued as a group or locally. I wonder if
                we can revive the idea of a women's libertarian conference - small l!

                Jean

              • Molly Paryani
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 26, 2007
                  I don't remember if I introduced myself when I joined.  My name is Molly and I have three children, ds7, dd4, ds1 and am married to a .... well, he USED to call himself Republican, but he calls himself independent libertarian now.  I guess all our political talks where I held my ground influenced him more than I suspected at the time, ;)  We also homeschool.  Oh, we are in Northern Michigan.

                  I have the winter blues currently.  I feel so uninspired and bored.  Hubby's schedule is all over the place, so I haven't been able to volunteer at my local co-op for a while now, that was really fun.  And I keep getting chest infections because I'm asthmatic.

                  I was thinking about putting out a zine recently, but I don't know if I am prepared for the work involved right now.  Mostly I am just waiting to get all our W2s in so we can file for our refund.  I want to place a giant amazon order.   I want to get a book on lapbooking, I think that would be fun to do with the kids.  My son wants to learn more about cryptozoology.

                  Have any of you done lapbooking?  Have any of you read any good libertarian-themed books?  I have the book Of Human Action - it is huge, I haven't even cracked it open.  I think I need something more like Libertarian economics Lite.

                  What do you guys do to shake off the winter duldroms?

                  ~Molly
                • Lori Loranger
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 26, 2007
                    Hi Erin
                    Welcome!
                    Back when my older daughters were little, I was heavily involved in
                    state and local LP stuff. It was nice to hang out with like-minded
                    people, and get a good grasp of Libertarian principles and how to/not to
                    share them, but I find involvement in the community more fulfilling. I
                    also feel that I've given more people a better impression of
                    libertarianism through my community involvement than I ever could
                    through party activities.
                    I find that when people already know me in some other capacity
                    (homeschooling mom, co-op board member or whatever) they are much more
                    receptive to hearing me express non-mainstream ideas. For instance,
                    when our local homeschool email discussion group was discussing a
                    library bond issue, the messages were pretty much divided into the
                    religious faction, who wouldn't support the bond because they felt there
                    was not enough censorship of the internet at the library, and the more
                    liberal minded, who supported the bond because they supported access to
                    information free from censorship. I popped up as the lone voice
                    questioning the issue of taxation, and expressing that I was "for"
                    libraries but against new taxes. Because many of these people know me
                    at one level or another, the weird idea I was proposing was not
                    instantly dismissed. My arguments also gained some validity due to my
                    involvement with the friends of the library; not only do I SAY I support
                    libraries, but I DO something to support them - something that directly
                    funds library activities without taxes.
                    Getting involved in non-partisan type community projects gives me the
                    chance to put my beliefs into action and connect with people who I
                    already share at least one common belief with. After that connection,
                    many of those people become more libertarian minded ;^) or become more
                    willing to think of their political beliefs as "libertarian".
                    There is a lot of experience available to draw from in this group.
                    Whatever sort of project would put your beliefs into action, there's
                    bound to be someone here who can offer some advice to get it going!
                    -Lori

                    Erin wrote:

                    > Hi I'm new, just joined today. Saw this group a while back with no
                    > activity so I'm glad to see some new posts. Lori, that is
                    > wonderful. I would love to get something like that going in my area.
                    >
                    > Lately, I can't shake the feelings I have to put my beliefs into
                    > action. I'm not exactly sure how to go about it and I really wish I
                    > could connect with more people with Libertarian views. I don't know
                    > a single mother IRL who feels the way I do.
                    >
                    > ~Erin
                    >
                    > --

                  • Bonnie
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 26, 2007
                      On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 07:24:50AM -0000, Erin wrote:
                      > I really wish I
                      > could connect with more people with Libertarian views.

                      Recently, I checked out the online personals section of
                      the local "tabloid"-style newspaper. The profiles are
                      searchable and include a "politics" section. I found
                      the folks with "Libertarian" in their profile and have
                      made contact with two of them so far.

                      In the past, I had been thinking about having the party
                      place classified or personal ads, looking for other
                      libertarians. They are out there, feeling the same
                      way, I'm sure!

                      Bonnie
                      in chilly Burlington, VT
                    • Lori Loranger
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 28, 2007
                        Hi Janet
                        Way back 10 or 12 years ago, we had a regular local LP chapter going.
                        While we did official stuff, like send a rep to the state party
                        meetings, etc., and did political stuff, like run candidates, invite
                        speakers, etc., our "meetings" were largely social gatherings. We met
                        at a local pizza place, so my kids always called them "pizza meetings".
                        Along with several single guys, we had several families with children
                        who attended regularly. For years, we did get together socially with
                        the other families with kids, although I don't see any of them now, and
                        the kids in question are all in their late teens/twenties.

                        Having two grown daughters who had the double whammy of being raised
                        Libertarian and being unschooled, I can tell you something about what
                        our experience has been. We definitely did experience being a minority
                        among the minority. Most homeschoolers at the time were definitely
                        Christian homeschoolers, whose homeschooling involved a lot of
                        structure, and most support groups were groups of Christian
                        homeschoolers who attended the same church. Even the "open" groups were
                        not very friendly to people who did not go to their church and/or agree
                        with their religious views.
                        This is what caused us (me and a couple other moms) to start a
                        homeschool support group of our own. This group is still going, and is
                        still the only group in our area that is strictly about homeschool
                        support and not about religion. We have a high percentage of
                        unschoolers - people who are big on freedom and not big on rules.
                        By creating a group that welcomes all those families who don't fit in
                        the usual homeschool mold, we have ended up with a perpetual group of
                        diverse, interesting, reasonable and open minded people. While it
                        certainly isn't a "libertarian" group, we have attracted a group of
                        people who definitely have libertarian tendencies, and already believe
                        in a lot of libertarian ideas. My kids and I have both made lasting
                        friendships because of this group.

                        When my daughters started school for the first time at 12 and 14, they
                        entered a public "magnet" school for the arts. They liked it there,
                        because everyone was "weird" ;^) and they made a lot of good and lasting
                        friends among those weird kids.
                        So, I guess my point is that yes, my grown kids are outside the
                        mainstream, but no, they are not in the least isolated, and have had no
                        trouble finding friends and mates who are also outside the mainstream,
                        whether they are "libertarian" or not. Maybe it's just because I'm
                        exposed to a lot of "weird" young adults, but most of them do not
                        identify with any political philosophy, except maybe the punk
                        philosophy. They're all smart enough to have figured out that the
                        political status quo in this country has failed - and has definitely
                        failed them.
                        There are a lot of kindred spirits out there, most of whom will never
                        call themselves "libertarian".

                        That said, when someone comes up with a way to get libertarian families
                        together, I'm in! Meanwhile, you might try putting something together
                        locally/regionally, and organizing it to be family friendly rather than
                        a place for technologically minded men to dance on the head of a pin
                        together.

                        peace to you!
                        -Lori

                        Janet Deacon wrote:
                        > Like Lori, I find my friends gradually adopting some of my libertarian
                        > beliefs...almost as if they had wanted to believe such and such but
                        > hadn't had the courage to go against the party line of religious
                        > Republican or politically correct Democrat.
                        >
                        > But I agree with you Erin that it would be nice to find other
                        > like-minded friends. I don't really need them though. My biggest
                        > desire is to find other like-minded /families /and to find a way for
                        > our kids to become friends...because I think our poor kids are the
                        > ones that will feel isolated the older they get. I would wager that
                        > most libertarians (of the age that are now Mommies) started out as
                        > Republicans or Democrats and so grew up thinking that, atleast
                        > politically, they were like roughly half of the country. But our kids
                        > won't have that same comfort zone when finding friends and mates. I'm
                        > at a loss for how to bring our types together though...we're so spread
                        > out in the country and seem to have no centralized communication hub
                        > except the political one of the Libertarian party (and since a lot of
                        > libertarians aren't political, this doesn't suffice.) Plus, being
                        > libertarian-types, we are not all alike /at all/! That's the beauty
                        > of our beliefs, that we can all tolerate each other, but it also makes
                        > it hard to find actual kindred spirits within the major diversity of
                        > our minority group!
                        >
                        > Does anyone have any ideas regarding how to set up something to bring
                        > libertarian-type families together, physically, once every year or two
                        > and then keep the bonds made at these meetings alive and well?
                        >
                        > Janet

                      • Kelly Halldorson
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 28, 2007
                          I have some thoughts but I'm curious...

                          Where is everyone from?? I'm in the seacoast New Hampshire area.

                          Kelly Halldorson

                          Janet Deacon wrote:
                          > Like Lori, I find my friends gradually adopting some of my libertarian
                          > beliefs...almost as if they had wanted to believe such and such but
                          > hadn't had the courage to go against the party line of religious
                          > Republican or politically correct Democrat.
                          >
                          > But I agree with you Erin that it would be nice to find other
                          > like-minded friends. I don't really need them though. My biggest
                          > desire is to find other like-minded /families /and to find a way for
                          > our kids to become friends...because I think our poor kids are the
                          > ones that will feel isolated the older they get. I would wager that
                          > most libertarians (of the age that are now Mommies) started out as
                          > Republicans or Democrats and so grew up thinking that, atleast
                          > politically, they were like roughly half of the country. But our kids
                          > won't have that same comfort zone when finding friends and mates. I'm
                          > at a loss for how to bring our types together though...we' re so spread
                          > out in the country and seem to have no centralized communication hub
                          > except the political one of the Libertarian party (and since a lot of
                          > libertarians aren't political, this doesn't suffice.) Plus, being
                          > libertarian- types, we are not all alike /at all/! That's the beauty
                          > of our beliefs, that we can all tolerate each other, but it also makes
                          > it hard to find actual kindred spirits within the major diversity of
                          > our minority group!
                          >
                          > Does anyone have any ideas regarding how to set up something to bring
                          > libertarian- type families together, physically, once every year or two
                          > and then keep the bonds made at these meetings alive and well?
                          >
                          > Janet

                        • Jean Alexander
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 28, 2007
                            I'm in Grantham NH, near Lebanon/Hanover.

                            Jean Alexander

                            On Jan 28, 2007, at 1:32 PM, Kelly Halldorson wrote:

                            > I have some thoughts but I'm curious...
                            >
                            > Where is everyone from?? I'm in the seacoast New Hampshire area.
                            >
                            > Kelly Halldorson

                          • Lori Loranger
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 28, 2007
                              I'm in the Columbia River Gorge, just a bit east of Vancouver,
                              Washington, looking across the river to Portland, Oregon.
                              -Lori

                              Kelly Halldorson wrote:

                              > I have some thoughts but I'm curious...
                              >
                              > Where is everyone from?? I'm in the seacoast New Hampshire area.
                              >
                              > Kelly Halldorson

                            • Danielle
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 29, 2007
                                I'm still here and I'm in Albuquerque, NM. We recently moved from
                                Omaha, NE.

                                Danielle

                                --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly Halldorson"
                                <kelly@...> wrote:

                                > I have some thoughts but I'm curious...
                                >
                                > Where is everyone from?? I'm in the seacoast New Hampshire area.
                                >
                                > Kelly Halldorson

                              • Kelly Halldorson
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 29, 2007
                                  I've been thinking of putting out a magazine for years. I need some writers though and it would have to be so underground/low budget that I wouldn't be able to pay anyone at the start. It is one of my dreams though.

                                  I want it to be a sort of pop culture magazine with a libertarian slant. The covers would all be libertarian (or leaning) celebrities.

                                  Anyone interested in helping? The magazine would be called Autarky...I even have a logo. ;)

                                  Kelly Halldorson

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 30, 2007
                                    I'm still here, although I haven't been very active.  I love reading the messages when there are any!
                                    Sigh, always with the "busy" excuses...  I really should get more involved.
                                    Kelsey
                                    Canyon, TX

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 30, 2007
                                      Hi Molly
                                      Do you have any full spectrum bulbs? I like to put one above my desk,
                                      so I get a little "sunshine" while I pay bills, etc. Helps to brighten
                                      those grey pacific northwest days, and avoid the malady SAD, which I'm
                                      convinced stands for "suicidal about darkness".
                                      I also do taiji, which keeps me going through the cold and dark months.
                                      For chest and sinus congestion, try a steam inhalation with rosemary in
                                      the water.

                                      My daughters always go to our local annual zine symposium, and take
                                      along a zine or two they've made. I love zines and have some in my own
                                      head to put together one of these days.
                                      For "economics lite" try Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? - I think
                                      it's by Richard Maybury. His "Uncle Eric" series of books are great -
                                      the best book on WWII I ever read was in that series. Whenever I want
                                      to tackle a difficult subject, I start with children's books.

                                      So what are cryptozoology and lapbooking?
                                      My 6 1/2 y.o. son is into science, computers, robots. My young'uns (6
                                      and 9) have finally reached the stage where they are largely
                                      independent, and my time is freed up for more of my own pursuits. You
                                      must have your hands pretty full with a 7 y.o., 4 y.o. and 1 y.o.!
                                      The sun is shining through my windows right now, making me dream of
                                      spring - but one step outside and the gorge wind slaps you in the face.
                                      Still winter.
                                      peace to you
                                      -Lori

                                      Molly Paryani wrote:
                                      > I don't remember if I introduced myself when I joined. My name is
                                      > Molly and I have three children, ds7, dd4, ds1 and am married to a
                                      > .... well, he USED to call himself Republican, but he calls himself
                                      > independent libertarian now. I guess all our political talks where I
                                      > held my ground influenced him more than I suspected at the time, ;)
                                      > We also homeschool. Oh, we are in Northern Michigan.
                                      >
                                      > I have the winter blues currently. I feel so uninspired and bored.
                                      > Hubby's schedule is all over the place, so I haven't been able to
                                      > volunteer at my local co-op for a while now, that was really fun. And
                                      > I keep getting chest infections because I'm asthmatic.
                                      >
                                      > I was thinking about putting out a zine recently, but I don't know if
                                      > I am prepared for the work involved right now. Mostly I am just
                                      > waiting to get all our W2s in so we can file for our refund. I want
                                      > to place a giant amazon order. I want to get a book on lapbooking, I
                                      > think that would be fun to do with the kids. My son wants to learn
                                      > more about cryptozoology.
                                      >
                                      > Have any of you done lapbooking? Have any of you read any good
                                      > libertarian-themed books? I have the book Of Human Action - it is
                                      > huge, I haven't even cracked it open. I think I need something more
                                      > like Libertarian economics Lite.
                                      >
                                      > What do you guys do to shake off the winter duldroms?
                                      >
                                      > ~Molly

                                    • Lori Loranger
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 31, 2007
                                        Hi Kelly
                                        I am not exactly in the loop of popular culture (we don't get tv) but
                                        would be happy to do proofreading/editing and whatever else I could to
                                        help. Sounds like a worthwhile project! Why "Autarky"?
                                        -Lori

                                        Kelly Halldorson wrote:
                                        > I've been thinking of putting out a magazine for years. I need some
                                        > writers though and it would have to be so underground/low budget that
                                        > I wouldn't be able to pay anyone at the start. It is one of my dreams
                                        > though.
                                        >
                                        > I want it to be a sort of pop culture magazine with a libertarian
                                        > slant. The covers would all be libertarian (or leaning) celebrities.
                                        >
                                        > Anyone interested in helping? The magazine would be called Autarky...I
                                        > even have a logo. ;)
                                        >
                                        > Kelly Halldorson

                                      • Erin
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 1, 2007
                                          Lori and Bonnie - thank you for the ideas. I have found them helpful.

                                          wrote:

> [...]
                                          > willing to think of their political beliefs as "libertarian".
                                          > There is a lot of experience available to draw from in this group.
                                          > Whatever sort of project would put your beliefs into action,
                                          there's
                                          > bound to be someone here who can offer some advice to get it going!
                                          > -Lori
                                          >
                                          > Erin wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Hi I'm new, just joined today. Saw this group a while back with no
                                          > > activity so I'm glad to see some new posts. Lori, that is
                                          > > wonderful. I would love to get something like that going in my
                                          area.

                                          > > Lately, I can't shake the feelings I have to put my beliefs into
                                          > > action. I'm not exactly sure how to go about it and I really wish
                                          > > could connect with more people with Libertarian views. I don't
                                          know
                                          > > a single mother IRL who feels the way I do.

                                        • Erin
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 1, 2007
                                            Good points Janet. I have enjoyed connecting with other like minded
                                            families in my local AP/NL group and really the joy that has brought
                                            me has just made my desire to connect with other Libertarians
                                            stronger. My younger sister recently moved back to the area and we
                                            share similar political views and talking to her is wonderful, but
                                            she does not have children and won't for some time. She just doesn't
                                            have interest in discussing issues surrounding children/motherhood
                                            which are the ones most important to me.

                                            ~Erin

                                            --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, Janet Deacon
                                            <sbtwinmom@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                            > currently
                                            > > gearing up for serious fund raising - seeking grants, preparing
                                            > start
                                            > > selling co-op shares, etc.
                                            > >
                                            > > Since I have a 6 y.o. son and 9 y.o. daughter at home, I'm still
                                            > very
                                            > > active in homeschooling, and by default am active in whatever my
                                            > kids
                                            > > are into - this has recently included participating in community
                                            > theater
                                            > > productions, and the youth programs at our local community radio
                                            > station.
                                            > >
                                            > > What are you ladies up to?
                                            > > -Lori
                                            > >
                                            > > I'm still here.
                                            > >
                                            > > Kelly Halldorson
                                            > >
                                            > > MJ wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Well, I am still here but the group hasn't had much going on

                                          • Erin
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Feb 1, 2007
                                              I'm on the VA coast.

                                              ~Erin

                                              <kelly@...> wrote:

                                              > I have some thoughts but I'm curious...
                                              >
                                              > Where is everyone from?? I'm in the seacoast New Hampshire area.
                                              >
                                              > Kelly Halldorson

                                            • Erin
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Feb 1, 2007
                                                Kelly, if you need any art/design assistance I would be happy to help
                                                out in that area. I currently do freelance design for several
                                                magazines and scrapbook product manufacturers. I'm actually going to
                                                start scaling back so that I have more time to devote to my children,
                                                but I would definitely make room for some volunteer work like this.

                                                ~Erin

                                                <kelly@...> wrote:

                                                > I've been thinking of putting out a magazine for years. I need some
                                                writers though and it would have to be so underground/low budget that
                                                I wouldn't be able to pay anyone at the start. It is one of my dreams
                                                though.

                                                > I want it to be a sort of pop culture magazine with a libertarian
                                                slant. The covers would all be libertarian (or leaning) celebrities.

                                                > Anyone interested in helping? The magazine would be called
                                                Autarky...I even have a logo. ;)

                                                > Kelly Halldorson

                                              • Jan
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Feb 7, 2007
                                                  All,

                                                  As founder of this yahoo group, I apologize for my absence and not
                                                  keeping up-to-date with timely posts and responses.

                                                  In Mid-November, my mother, Hazel Jones, was diagnosed with stomach
                                                  cancer. I spent the last several months with her as she fought the
                                                  illness using a variety of unconventional and conventional
                                                  treatments. While we were not able to beat the cancer, the
                                                  homeopathic remedies we used provided Mom with a great deal of
                                                  comfort and helped her avoid much of the pain and nausea often
                                                  associated with stomach cancer. My husband, brother and I were with
                                                  her throughout the entire process and Mom was at my home when she
                                                  passed away on January 29 at age 89. Both of my sons, were also able
                                                  to be with her the weekend before she passed.

                                                  For those of you who did not know my mother, I would like to share
                                                  the following few lines with you...

                                                  In 2000, Mom was inducted into the Senior Hall of Fame with the
                                                  following bio serving as her introduction:

                                                  Ms. Jones, the honoree in the Labor Force Category, has dedicated her
                                                  life to influencing her community both economically and socially. She
                                                  has actively participated in the Vandalia labor force for more than
                                                  65 years. She and her late husband, Don, operated the Don Jones
                                                  Studio, portrait and commercial photography for five decades,
                                                  photographing generations of families and gaining not only lifelong
                                                  patrons but lifelong friends. With innate business sense and vision,
                                                  they expanded to sell jewelry, gifts and even gourmet and health
                                                  foods, which eventually became a separate business named the Sunshine
                                                  House Health Food Store. Upon her husband's death, Jones and her
                                                  daughter co-founded and produced a regional magazine geared to
                                                  seniors citizens named "The Senior Review." Hazel also enjoyed
                                                  participating as a radio talk show co-host on Vandalia's WPMB radio
                                                  station. She continues to dedicate her time to service organizations
                                                  and church work. Her nomination states, "Hazel Jones remains a vital
                                                  aspect in Vandalia's workforce and is a shining example of
                                                  dedication, ingenuity and integrity."

                                                  Mom was also a member of this group and had posted her thoughts on a
                                                  few occasions (Message #63, Message #152, etc ...)

                                                  She was wise, kind, tough, creative and we should all be so lucky to
                                                  live such a productive, joyful life. I was so very fortunate to have
                                                  her for my mother.

                                                  Lastly, before closing, I would also like to take this opportunity to
                                                  welcome all of our new members and I look forward to future
                                                  conversations with each of you.

                                                  In Liberty,

                                                  Jan
                                                • Jan
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Feb 9, 2007
                                                    Kelly, Lori, Dianna, Erin, Molly, Janet, Jean and all,

                                                    Reading all the recent exchanges about your creative ways to
                                                    spread/share the general concepts of libertarian living and
                                                    everyone's willingness to pitch in to assist with future projects is
                                                    exciting ... and what I think many of us here hoped would happen when
                                                    this group first originated.

                                                    Magazines, radio programs, women/mothers networking (and I believe
                                                    Jean even mentioned the idea several of us batted back and forth some
                                                    time ago about a libertarian woman's conference) are all valuable
                                                    approaches when it comes to getting our message of individual freedom
                                                    and personal responsibility out there. And as Kelly mentioned,
                                                    our "Autarky" message of "self sufficiency" (Kelly, I did a little
                                                    reading up on the term and would be interested in knowing if self
                                                    sufficiency would be the thrust of the magazine and/or would you be
                                                    planning to introduce the more political concept of economic
                                                    independence from other nations?)

                                                    Anyway, with all the ideas being shared here, I wanted to mention the
                                                    venture I am currently working on and would love to get some feedback
                                                    from the group.

                                                    When our Mothers for Liberty Yahoo Group first started and interest
                                                    grew, I had envisioned the group progressing into a national
                                                    organization with state chapters, having its own website, etc ....
                                                    then after communicating with the moms/members here, being very
                                                    involved in my own state LP, listening to homeschoolers (for those
                                                    new to the group, I was a homeschooling mom for about 9-10 years), I
                                                    have come to the conclusion that there is even a larger
                                                    message/course of action I would like to see implemented .... a
                                                    bigger umbrella, so to speak, which would incorporate "Mothers for
                                                    Liberty", but not limited itself to that title/topic alone.

                                                    So .... I am in the early stages of researching/organizing a non-
                                                    profit organization I want to call "The Mothers Institute" (actually
                                                    I think my husband came up with the name after hearing me go on and
                                                    one about what I wanted to offer/accomplish, what WE as libertarian
                                                    moms want our children to learn and live - and the kind of nation we
                                                    hope our children will know in the future).

                                                    I'm in the process of preparing a business plan, writing a mission
                                                    statement, selecting board members, (i.e. incorporating), building a
                                                    website and would love any and all input/volunteer assistance! While
                                                    my mother was still living, we had a chance to discuss this and she
                                                    thought it was the right step with real possibilities ... her opinion
                                                    and business sense has stood us/me in good stead over the years and I
                                                    am happy to have had her input on yet another venture.

                                                    Looking forward to some feedback/suggestions....

                                                    Thanks much,

                                                    Jan
                                                  • Jean Alexander
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Feb 9, 2007
                                                      Jan,

                                                      My deepest sympathies on your loss. I lost my mother in 2003 and it
                                                      was probably the hardest thing I've been through in my life. Even
                                                      now I occasionally catch myself thinking I can just pick up the phone
                                                      and talk to her. I guess I continue to have internal dialog with her.

                                                      The hand that rocks the cradle ... so many aspects to that phrase.
                                                      We as mothers, we as children, etc. A very powerful relationship.

                                                      My sympathies . . .

                                                      Jean

                                                    • Erin
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Feb 15, 2007
                                                        Oh Jan, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and
                                                        your family. Thank you for sharing more about her with us.

                                                        I am definitely willing to volunteer in any way that I can.

                                                        ~Erin

                                                        --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, "Jan" <libertyjan@...>
                                                        wrote:

                                                        > All,
                                                        >
                                                        > As founder of this yahoo group, I apologize for my absence and not
                                                        > keeping up-to-date with timely posts and responses.
                                                        >
                                                        > In Mid-November, my mother, Hazel Jones, was diagnosed with stomach
                                                        > cancer. I spent the last several months with her as she fought the
                                                        > illness using a variety of unconventional and conventional
                                                        > treatments. While we were not able to beat the cancer, the
                                                        > homeopathic remedies we used provided Mom with a great deal of
                                                        > comfort and helped her avoid much of the pain and nausea often
                                                        > associated with stomach cancer. My husband, brother and I were
                                                        with
                                                        > her throughout the entire process and Mom was at my home when she
                                                        > passed away on January 29 at age 89. Both of my sons, were also
                                                        able
                                                        > to be with her the weekend before she passed.
                                                        >
                                                        > For those of you who did not know my mother, I would like to share
                                                        > the following few lines with you...
                                                        >
                                                        > In 2000, Mom was inducted into the Senior Hall of Fame with the
                                                        > following bio serving as her introduction:
                                                        >
                                                        > Ms. Jones, the honoree in the Labor Force Category, has dedicated
                                                        her
                                                        > life to influencing her community both economically and socially.
                                                        She
                                                        > has actively participated in the Vandalia labor force for more than
                                                        > 65 years. She and her late husband, Don, operated the Don Jones
                                                        > Studio, portrait and commercial photography for five decades,
                                                        > photographing generations of families and gaining not only lifelong
                                                        > patrons but lifelong friends. With innate business sense and
                                                        vision,
                                                        > they expanded to sell jewelry, gifts and even gourmet and health
                                                        > foods, which eventually became a separate business named the
                                                        Sunshine
                                                        > House Health Food Store. Upon her husband's death, Jones and her
                                                        > daughter co-founded and produced a regional magazine geared to
                                                        > seniors citizens named "The Senior Review." Hazel also enjoyed
                                                        > participating as a radio talk show co-host on Vandalia's WPMB radio
                                                        > station. She continues to dedicate her time to service
                                                        organizations
                                                        > and church work. Her nomination states, "Hazel Jones remains a
                                                        vital
                                                        > aspect in Vandalia's workforce and is a shining example of
                                                        > dedication, ingenuity and integrity."
                                                        >
                                                        > Mom was also a member of this group and had posted her thoughts on
                                                        > few occasions (Message #63, Message #152, etc ...)
                                                        >
                                                        > She was wise, kind, tough, creative and we should all be so lucky
                                                        > live such a productive, joyful life. I was so very fortunate to
                                                        have
                                                        > her for my mother.
                                                        >
                                                        > Lastly, before closing, I would also like to take this opportunity
                                                        > welcome all of our new members and I look forward to future
                                                        > conversations with each of you.
                                                        >
                                                        > In Liberty,
                                                        >
                                                        > Jan

                                                      • Jan
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Feb 16, 2007
                                                          Erin wrote: ... Thank you for sharing more about your mother with us.

                                                          I am definitely willing to volunteer in any way that I can.
                                                          ------

                                                          Erin,

                                                          I was pleased to have the opportunity to share a bit about my mother
                                                          with the group and as I lay awake in bed last night thinking about
                                                          her, our Mothers for Liberty group and the plan to go ahead with The
                                                          Mothers Institute, your comments stayed with me ... and gave me an
                                                          idea.

                                                          Several years ago, my mom and I had written a 36 page soft cover book
                                                          together. It was a compilation of some of the personal stories we had
                                                          written for our magazine, The Senior Review, while we served as co-
                                                          editors. It was intended to be the first book in a series of 4, but
                                                          due to time constraints and health reasons at the time (mine more
                                                          than Moms) we were only able to complete the first book. We sold a
                                                          good number of them, mostly to friends and readers of the now-defunct
                                                          magazine, but still have a enough left to do something special with.

                                                          I thought to myself, that since you appreciated knowing more about
                                                          Mom, perhaps others Mothers for Liberty members AND future Mothers
                                                          Institute members (who might join the organization once I get the 501
                                                          (3)c non-profit paperwork completed and become "official") may also
                                                          want to know more about Mom's life, loves, talents, beliefs,
                                                          experiences ... in her own words. (After all she did raise 2
                                                          libertarian children ... and I followed suit by raising 2 libertarian
                                                          children as well :-)

                                                          Perhaps we could use the book as a fundraiser of sorts to jump start
                                                          The Mothers Institute's finances. I think Mom would be proud if we
                                                          used the book in such a fashion. Make sense to you?

                                                          Anyway, just wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your
                                                          thoughts ... and your offer to volunteer as well. I'm currently
                                                          working on the nuts and bolts of a volunteer program and would
                                                          appreciated your suggestions.

                                                          Thanks again Erin,

                                                          Jan
                                                        • Erin
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Feb 17, 2007
                                                            Using the book as a fundraiser makes perfect sense. I love the idea!!