Re: [MothersForLiberty] Banned Books Week - September 23-30, 2006

  • Mellony Burlison
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
      I have never posted to the group, but read the posts.  As far as that list of banned books, I am not doubting what you say, but many of those books my kids have checked out at the school library and my daughter even had to read How To Eat Fried Worms for a class assignment.  I wonder where thay got that list?

      Mellony B.

      If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is no recourse left but in the exertion of the original right of self-defense which is paramount to all forms of positive government.
      -- Alexander Hamilton.

      Visit my blog!!!

      Fri, September 22, 2006

      "Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not
      love breathing." —Harper Lee, "To Kill a Mockingbird"

      Compelling as they are, some folks would rather you didn't read the
      words above. The quote comes from a Pulitzer Prize-winning book
      that's been denounced for so-called racial slurs and profanity, and
      banished from school library shelves.

      Irony never ceases, nor does the impulse toward censorship. But now
      is a perfect time to celebrate books such as Lee's
      masterpiece, "Ulysses," and "Heart of Darkness." Banned Books Week is
      here and thumb-nosing librarians and freedom-loving bookstore owners
      are celebrating the 25th anniversary of reading verboten material.

      The American Library Association keeps an accounting of objectionable
      reads. We curled up with a good computer to check which forbidden
      pages still beckon readers and searchers.

      "Harry Potter" (Series) (J.K. Rowling)
      "To Kill a Mockingbird" (Harper Lee)
      "The Color Purple" (Alice Walker)
      "The Outsiders" (S.E. Hinton)
      "Lord of the Flies" (William Golding)
      "Of Mice and Men" (John Steinbeck)
      "Goosebumps" (Series) (R.L. Stine)
      "How to Eat Fried Worms" (Thomas Rockwell)
      "The Catcher in the Rye" (J.D. Salinger)
      "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" (Mark Twain)
      "The Giver" (Lois Lowry)
      "Brave New World" (Aldous Huxley)
      "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" (Mark Twain)
      "Captain Underpants" (Dav Pilkey)
      "The Anarchist Cookbook" (William Powell)
      "Carrie" (Stephen King)
      "Flowers for Algernon" (Daniel Keyes)
      "The Dead Zone" (Stephen King)
      "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" (Maya Angelou)
      "Go Ask Alice" (anonymous)
      "American Psycho" (Bret Easton Ellis)
      "The Chocolate War" (Robert Cormier)
      "James and the Giant Peach" (Roald Dahl)
      "The Pigman" (Paul Zindel)
      "A Wrinkle in Time" (Madeleine L'Engle)

    • Jan
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
        Mellony wrote: ... many of those books my kids have checked out at
        the school library and my daughter even had to read How To Eat Fried
        Worms for a class assignment. I wonder where they got that list?
        ---------

        Mellony,

        The librarian who spoke at our Libertarian Chapter meeting last year
        said the list comes from a combination of sources such as reports
        made by individuals/groups directly to the American Library
        Association, newspaper sources, etc... the ALA then documents these
        bannings. Also, to be considered a banned book - a book does not have
        to be universally banned - it can simply be banned in one
        location/institution.

        Another question often asked is "Who bans these books?" The answer -
        libraries, schools, colleges, communities, governments ... every year
        there are hundreds of attempts to remove books from libraries and
        schools as well as pressure put on retail bookstores NOT to stock
        certain titles.

        In addition, there is also a list of frequently Challenged Books and
        Challenged Authors. A challenge is an attempt to remove or restrict a
        book and/or materials, based upon the objections of a person or
        group. A banning is the actual REMOVAL of said book/materials.

        Challenges are more than a person simply expressing a point of view;
        but an attempt to remove material from a curriculum or library, etc
        and restricting access to it.

        Jan
      • Monica Fellhoelter
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
          I didn't see Irwin Schiff's book that the U.S. government has forbidden him to continue to publish or sell!!

          Monica Fellhoelter
        • Jan
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
            Monica wrote: I didn't see Irwin Schiff's book that the U.S.
            government has forbidden him to continue to publish or sell!!
            -------

            Monica,

            The list of books I posted only contained those which had been
            recently dubbed the "25 Hottest Banned Books". Also, here's the ALA's
            list of the top 100 most frequently challenged books:
            http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/100mostfrequently.
            htm

            That said, thanks for bringing up Irvin Schiff's book - I was unaware
            of this and have done a bit of surfing the web in an attempt to learn
            more. Below are some links I came across.

            For more info on Irvin Schiff:
            http://www.paynoincometax.com/
            http://www.rcfp.org/news/2004/0812united.html

            Could you comment some more on this?

            Thanks much!

            Jan
          • Monica
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
              --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, "Jan" <libertyjan@...>
              wrote:

              > Monica wrote: I didn't see Irwin Schiff's book that the U.S.
              > government has forbidden him to continue to publish or sell!!
              > -------
              >
              > Monica,
              >
              > The list of books I posted only contained those which had been
              > recently dubbed the "25 Hottest Banned Books". Also, here's the
              ALA's

              > Could you comment some more on this?
              >
              > Thanks much!
              >
              > Jan

              It really was just a quip. I realize you were discussing the
              libraries list that they were "celebrating" this month. Whether
              Irwin is an idiot or a genius, it just seems wrong that the
              government would decide for everyone (I guess the US citizens are
              the idiots) that Schiff's "Federal Mafia" can't be sold. This is a
              bit different than banned books but still a free speech issue. And
              the government knowing once again what is "best" for us.