Re: LP Presidential /VP Ticket

  • Sharon Presley
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 8, 2008
      Evonne

      What you have observed about Barr is truly appalling. The LP has truly
      sold out for someone with a "name." What happened to principle?

      I have also heard from reliable people that Root started a smear
      campaign against Mary Ruwart of all people. I was sickened by what I
      heard. According to my sources, they started a rumor that she approved
      of pedophiles. This smear is sick. No one has worked harder for the
      libertarian cause than Mary.

      There is NO WAY I will ever vote for such people. It will only
      encourage the LP to continue to sell out. I am so disgusted that I am
      considering re-registering as an Independent instead of Libertarian. I
      am embarrassed to be in the same party with such unprincipled
      non-libertarians. Maybe we need a counter-campaign to denounce them!
      They will only make libertarians look BAD and hypocritical. Imagine
      what the press will do with their inconsistencies!

      I have never been a member of the LP because I have always had
      reservations about this route. Now my worst fears are justified.

      Sharon Presley

      --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, "Evonne Bennett"
      <evonnebennett@...> wrote:

      > I have no intention of voting for Barr because when they had the
      debates on
      > Television he said that he would work to make sure the Defensive
      Marriage
      > act got overturned, and then after he was nominated he went on CNN
      and said
      > he had no problem with the defensive marriage act. For those who do not
      > know he is the one who authored that bill. Also when he announced
      he was
      > running full force he said he wanted to end the drug war, then on
      Glenn Beck
      > (don't quote me I think that's the right show) he said he would jail
      > cocaine, and heroine users. That's not someone who is very
      Libertarian to
      > me.
      >

      > Evonne
      >

      > _____

    • Evonne Bennett
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 8, 2008

        I have talked to several friends who went to the convention and have come back to tell that Bob Barr was selling his votes for food, help with hotel costs and other things.  I do think we have lost sight of the principal and have a difficult time voting for him but we here need to gain our ballot access back so we have no choice if we want to help the party itself. I intend in no way shape or form to help bob barr financially or voluntarily but will vote for him only to help get our ballot access back. What was seen at the convention is not what people really feel many of our delagates could not come due to funds and the rising gas prices. I had no intention of voting for him but have since come to realize our state needs my vote to get our ballot access back. What I said was in no way intended to turn away potential libertarians. I still believe we have good and true libertarians out there and that we must find them and we must work to gain our party back and to fight for the principles.  I hope that you will not leave this party based on what I have told you.

        <evonnebennett@ ...> wrote:

        > I have no intention of voting for Barr because when they had the
        debates on
        > Television he said that he would work to make sure the Defensive
        Marriage
        > act got overturned, and then after he was nominated he went on CNN
        and said
        > he had no problem with the defensive marriage act. For those who do not
        > know he is the one who authored that bill. Also when he announced
        he was
        > running full force he said he wanted to end the drug war, then on
        Glenn Beck
        > (don't quote me I think that's the right show) he said he would jail
        > cocaine, and heroine users. That's not someone who is very
        Libertarian to
        > me.
        >

        > Evonne
        >

        > _____

      • Angela Thornton Canny
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 8, 2008
          I was also disappointed to hear Barr's comments on social security.  If course, I think government retirement benefits are bad, but I lean towards the Ron Paul stance that we have to honor the commitments we've made. Barr sounded like he wants to change the rules.

          Also, the war is a deal breaker for me, and Root's old blog has some comments I find absolutely appalling. You should read the whole entry for context, of course, but this doesn't sound like the sam war stance he has now.

          http://www.millionairerepublican.com/blog/index.php?m=07&y=07&entry=entry070723-081824

          If America had never interfered in the affairs of any Arab country the Islamic extremists would still be trying to destroy us.
          They hate us because we're not Islamic.
          They hate us because we're a Democracy.
          They hate us because we allow dissent.
          They hate us because we treat our women like human beings and equals.
          They hate us because we let young girls go to school.
          They hate us because we believe in progress.
          They hate us because we celebrate music, art, dance, literature, and sexuality.
          They hate us because we believe in equality of races.
          They hate us desperately because we actually allow Jews to survive and thrive in our society.
          They hate us because we don't murder gays in the street for the 'crime' of being gay.

          There is no room for questions or dissent in Islamic extremism. There is only belief in one religion and one set of rules. Any minor departure from this is enough to incite death, torture and destruction.

          And I do not believe that. I believe that North America has had a Muslim population for longer than the USA has existed, and we have managed not to live in a perpetual state of war.   To think they've had some mass awakening and now feel they must randomly obliterate us is ludicrous

          I'm probably going to vote for Barr, but I'm not fooling myself into thinking he's anything special.

          Angela in Chicagoland (soon to be a Michigander.).

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 28, 2008
            Angela wrote: I'm probably going to vote for Barr, but I'm not
            fooling myself into thinking he's anything special.
            --------------------

            After my initial disappointment with the Barr/Root ticket wore off a
            bit, this is now basically my thought on the subject as well.

            Plus after recently volunteering as a petition coordinator here in
            Illinois and seeing first hand the time, effort and MONEY it takes to
            get our LP candidates on the ballot ... I see a vote for Barr as a
            vote for LP ballot access if nothing else.

            I do wonder tho if the delegates at the Convention who supported
            Barr/Root, might have sold the Ron Paul Revolution and Dr. Paul's
            supporters a bit short. I think the Paulites/Paulettes' dedication
            and enthusiasm would have followed a libertarian activist ticket
            (such as a Kubby/Ruwart ticket) to the polls in a heart beat ... and
            I see many of those same people wincing a bit at the Barr/Root team.

            I guess time will tell if the delegates got it right ... in the mean
            time, we'll keep working for Liberty on a number of fronts!

            Jan
          • Angela Thornton Canny
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 28, 2008
              I hear ya. I am campaign treasurer (volunteering!) for Allan Stevo, an
              independent running against Mark Kirk in Chicago's 10th district.
              (Kirk is the Republican who just introduced a ban on semi-automatic
              weapons !!!) We're facing all of the same obstacles.

              My vote for Barr is a vote for who I want to win, out of the 3 .

              I know a lot of the Paul supporters were big fans of Ruwart and Kubby,
              but I'm not sure that ticket would get even the meager publicity that
              Barr is getting. It's a trade-off, I guess.

              Angela

              On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Jan <libertyjan@...> wrote:
              > Angela wrote: I'm probably going to vote for Barr, but I'm not
              >
              > fooling myself into thinking he's anything special.
              > --------------------
              >
              > After my initial disappointment with the Barr/Root ticket wore off a
              > bit, this is now basically my thought on the subject as well.
              >
              > Plus after recently volunteering as a petition coordinator here in
              > Illinois and seeing first hand the time, effort and MONEY it takes to
              > get our LP candidates on the ballot ... I see a vote for Barr as a
              > vote for LP ballot access if nothing else.
              >
              > I do wonder tho if the delegates at the Convention who supported
              > Barr/Root, might have sold the Ron Paul Revolution and Dr. Paul's
              > supporters a bit short. I think the Paulites/Paulettes' dedication
              > and enthusiasm would have followed a libertarian activist ticket
              > (such as a Kubby/Ruwart ticket) to the polls in a heart beat ... and
              > I see many of those same people wincing a bit at the Barr/Root team.
              >
              > I guess time will tell if the delegates got it right ... in the mean
              > time, we'll keep working for Liberty on a number of fronts!
              >
              > Jan

            • sharon presley
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 28, 2008
                Is the "meager publicity" really worth the price of selling out? Or is it selling our birthright for a mess of pottage? (if you'll pardon the biblical reference) This ticket is not libertarian and will only stain the word. What good will that do?  Is publicity the goal here? Selling out does not further any goals. It will just make libertarians look like any other groups of politicos. Does that further libertarian goals?  I'm not sure ballot access is worth it.  And I 'm not even sure that this pathetic ticket will get more coverage than Kubby/Ruwart. Kubby's marijuana position would get him some attention and Ruwart being female would be worth a tiny bit.

                Good luck in talking around this ticket. I hope it doesn't embarrass the LP as much as I fear it will.

                I hear ya. I am campaign treasurer (volunteering!) for Allan Stevo, an
                independent running against Mark Kirk in Chicago's 10th district.
                (Kirk is the Republican who just introduced a ban on semi-automatic
                weapons !!!) We're facing all of the same obstacles.

                My vote for Barr is a vote for who I want to win, out of the 3 .

                I know a lot of the Paul supporters were big fans of Ruwart and Kubby,
                but I'm not sure that ticket would get even the meager publicity that
                Barr is getting. It's a trade-off, I guess.

                Angela

                On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Jan <libertyjan@...> wrote:
                > Angela wrote: I'm probably going to vote for Barr, but I'm not
                >
                > fooling myself into thinking he's anything special.
                > --------------------
                >
                > After my initial disappointment with the Barr/Root ticket wore off a
                > bit, this is now basically my thought on the subject as well.
                >
                > Plus after recently volunteering as a petition coordinator here in
                > Illinois and seeing first hand the time, effort and MONEY it takes to
                > get our LP candidates on the ballot ... I see a vote for Barr as a
                > vote for LP ballot access if nothing else.
                >
                > I do wonder tho if the delegates at the Convention who supported
                > Barr/Root, might have sold the Ron Paul Revolution and Dr. Paul's
                > supporters a bit short. I think the Paulites/Paulettes' dedication
                > and enthusiasm would have followed a libertarian activist ticket
                > (such as a Kubby/Ruwart ticket) to the polls in a heart beat ... and
                > I see many of those same people wincing a bit at the Barr/Root team.
                >
                > I guess time will tell if the delegates got it right ... in the mean
                > time, we'll keep working for Liberty on a number of fronts!
                >
                > Jan

                <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:MothersForLiberty-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:MothersForLiberty-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Jan
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 29, 2008
                  Sharon wrote: Is the "meager publicity" really worth the price of
                  selling out? Or is it selling our birthright for a mess of pottage?
                  (if you'll pardon the biblical reference) This ticket is not
                  libertarian and will only stain the word. What good will that do?  Is
                  publicity the goal here? Selling out does not further any goals. It
                  will just make libertarians look like any other groups of politicos.
                  Does that further libertarian goals?  I'm not sure ballot access is
                  worth it.  And I 'm not even sure that this pathetic ticket will get
                  more coverage than Kubby/Ruwart. Kubby's marijuana position would get
                  him some attention and Ruwart being female would be worth a tiny bit.

                  Good luck in talking around this ticket. I hope it doesn't embarrass
                  the LP as much as I fear it will.
                  --------------------

                  Sharon,

                  I asked many of these same questions as I watched the LP Convention
                  and the Barr nomination unfold via C-SPAN. I was amazed as I
                  listened to the State Chairs announce the vote totals for their
                  delegations on the first ballot and discover Barr was in the lead. I
                  was amazed how quickly Steve Kubby was knocked out of the race (and
                  how long Mike Gravel stayed in.)

                  I was amazed that Michael Jingozian was vying for the LP Presidential
                  nomination while at the same time seeking the Green Party
                  nomination ... how does that dual philosophy exist?

                  I was disappointed that Steve Kubby was not nominated as our VP
                  candidate to offer the ticket a sense of validity/believability ...
                  and at the same time I was pleased that Mary Ruwart's principles
                  governed her choice to view a bid for VP as a non-option.

                  The current ticket is, indeed, a hard sell ... one example that
                  expresses this sentiment involves members of my Libertarian Moms
                  Group. Many of the women in the group are new to libertarianism and
                  the LP. Through research and dialogue they have discovered and
                  embraced the philosophy and Party ... in essence, finding their
                  political home. After the nomination, several posed the question ...
                  How can a Party we've come to know and trust, nominate a candidate we
                  don't?

                  That's where the idea of ballot access comes into play ... at least
                  its an issue to hang my/our hat on.

                  Is it enough? Should it be enough? I'm not sure it is, should be, or
                  will be enough to overcome what ails us as a Party. But individually,
                  the Libertarians I know are principled people and individually we
                  continue to make a difference ... whether it be via a political
                  agenda, a personal life-style - or both.

                  Jan
                • Angela Thornton Canny
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 29, 2008
                    I agree with Jan. I wasn't thrilled about Barr because I do not trust
                    that he has changed as much as he claims to have changed. But I would
                    certainly have preferred Kubby to Root on the ticket.

                    And politics are politics. The Libertarian Party is a political party,
                    and that's just that. The Libertarians were as divided over this
                    nomination as the Republicans and Democrats were over their
                    nominations. Although I don't see much difference between Obama and
                    Clinton, I certainly understand the disdain for McCain.

                    If I believed that Barr had actually changed his mind about his stance
                    on big government and empire building, I think he could be a decent
                    candidate. His voting record can't be used against him by the
                    Republicans, that's for sure. But as I said before, I just don't trust
                    him.

                    Angela

                  • David Macko
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 22 8:46 PM
                      I was a delegate to the Libertarian national convention and voted for Mary Ruwart all six times. Then I voted for Jim Burns and Steve Kubby for vice president. However, I support Bob Barr fully and will continue to do so unless he does or says something which is contrary to L/libertarian principles.

                      Bob Barr for president. Vote Libertarian.
                      For Life and Liberty,
                      David Macko

                      On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Jan <libertyjan@sbcgloba l.net> wrote:
                      > Angela wrote: I'm probably going to vote for Barr, but I'm not
                      >
                      > fooling myself into thinking he's anything special.
                      > ------------ --------
                      >
                      > After my initial disappointment with the Barr/Root ticket wore off a
                      > bit, this is now basically my thought on the subject as well.
                      >
                      > Plus after recently volunteering as a petition coordinator here in
                      > Illinois and seeing first hand the time, effort and MONEY it takes to
                      > get our LP candidates on the ballot ... I see a vote for Barr as a
                      > vote for LP ballot access if nothing else.
                      >
                      > I do wonder tho if the delegates at the Convention who supported
                      > Barr/Root, might have sold the Ron Paul Revolution and Dr. Paul's
                      > supporters a bit short. I think the Paulites/Paulettes' dedication
                      > and enthusiasm would have followed a libertarian activist ticket
                      > (such as a Kubby/Ruwart ticket) to the polls in a heart beat ... and
                      > I see many of those same people wincing a bit at the Barr/Root team.
                      >
                      > I guess time will tell if the delegates got it right ... in the mean
                      > time, we'll keep working for Liberty on a number of fronts!
                      >
                      > Jan

                    • Evonne
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 22 11:07 PM

                        I take it you thought his eulogy for Jesse Helms who died who just so happens to be a racist saying what a great US Senator that guy was is LIBERTARIAN? It is not that he wrote a eulogy for this gentleman it is the fact that he overgratified this Jesse Helms guy who was openly a racist.  I’m sorry I  happen to be married to a black guy and as I don’t support racism and am sure most of us don’t and I don’t think that his hugely public eulogy was appropriate at all.  Also other things that I have knowledge of are as follows:

                        I Know people who Attended this National Convention who and from more than one person told me that votes were Being bought by the Barr Campaign. For Example "you vote for Barr and we will pay for your taxi Ride or your meals or help with your hotel costs. At least 3 people from our State's votes were bought this way.  All that aside I will not financially support Bob Barr or Wayne Root nor will I help any other way with this campaign as for Other things My husband has talked to me about Barr.  I have an issue with supporting a person who one minute tells you what you want to hear and the next pretends as if they had never said that.  He flip flopped on the marriage thing and went on CNN the very next day after the convention he said he didn’t see anything wrong with this. He says the government should bail out fanny may and Freddie Mac(mortgage finance companies). You can look on independent political report for this proof.  If you want to support this guy go ahead me I will Never support him I cant vote for him either. It seems as if more and more things just keep on coming out about Barr.

                        Evonne

                        I hear ya. I am campaign treasurer (volunteering! ) for Allan Stevo, an
                        independent running against Mark Kirk in Chicago 's 10th district.
                        (Kirk is the Republican who just introduced a ban on semi-automatic
                        weapons !!!) We're facing all of the same obstacles.

                        My vote for Barr is a vote for who I want to win, out of the 3 .

                        I know a lot of the Paul supporters were big fans of Ruwart and Kubby,
                        but I'm not sure that ticket would get even the meager publicity that
                        Barr is getting. It's a trade-off, I guess.

                        Angela

                        On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Jan <libertyjan@sbcgloba l.net> wrote:
                        > Angela wrote: I'm probably going to vote for Barr, but I'm not
                        >
                        > fooling myself into thinking he's anything special.
                        > ------------ --------
                        >
                        > After my initial disappointment with the Barr/Root ticket wore off a
                        > bit, this is now basically my thought on the subject as well.
                        >
                        > Plus after recently volunteering as a petition coordinator here in
                        > Illinois and seeing first hand the time, effort and MONEY it takes to
                        > get our LP candidates on the ballot ... I see a vote for Barr as a
                        > vote for LP ballot access if nothing else.
                        >
                        > I do wonder tho if the delegates at the Convention who supported
                        > Barr/Root, might have sold the Ron Paul Revolution and Dr. Paul's
                        > supporters a bit short. I think the Paulites/Paulettes' dedication
                        > and enthusiasm would have followed a libertarian activist ticket
                        > (such as a Kubby/Ruwart ticket) to the polls in a heart beat ... and
                        > I see many of those same people wincing a bit at the Barr/Root team.
                        >
                        > I guess time will tell if the delegates got it right ... in the mean
                        > time, we'll keep working for Liberty on a number of fronts!
                        >
                        > Jan

                      • Rhonda
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 23 10:42 AM
                          <<For Example "you vote for Barr and we will pay for your taxi Ride or your meals
                          or help with your hotel costs. At least 3 people from our State's votes were
                          bought this way.>>
                          Sadly, I suspect this kind of thing happens often in presidential conventions. While I would like to believe most Libertarians are above this kind of behavior--Libertarians like anyone else have character faults and can make bad judgements.

                          <<All that aside I will not financially support Bob Barr or
                          Wayne Root nor will I help any other way with this campaign as for Other
                          things My husband has talked to me about Barr. I have an issue with
                          supporting a person who one minute tells you what you want to hear and the
                          next pretends as if they had never said that>>

                          I agree with what you are saying about Barr's flip-flopping. I've been thinking about what Jan said about supporting Barr, because she supports the Libertarian platform. My enthusiasm for Baldwin is tampered because I am in disagreement with more of their platform, then I am with the Libertarian platform. But I think about the Democrat & Republican platforms, and how little the elected candidates actually follow their party platforms. I'd like to think Libertarians are different...but their candidates fall pray to the same foibles of any human. So I'd rather vote for a candidate that I trust (regardless of their party platform) than a candidate that has a good platform, but one that I don't trust.

                          I've ordered bumper stickers to support C Baldwin. I felt a little bit guilty, not supporting the Libertarian party. While I've let my actual party membership lapse, I've supported Libertarian candidates since the mid-90's. But I can't support Barr, regardless of his saying the "right" things now, he hasn't earned my trust.

                          Rhonda