Welcome To Mothers for Liberty

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 24, 2005
      Are you concerned about our dwindling liberties and how our children
      may not enjoy the freedoms we have known in our lifetime? Are you
      actively working to raise libertarian children? If so, how are you
      going about it - through homeschooling, activism, membership in the
      Libertarian Party, etc? Are you watching and influencing legislation
      (state and national) that would directly affect the precious liberty
      of our children's future.

      If you are in the process of raising libertarian children or have
      already sucessfully raised some free thinking, liberty-loving
      individuals, share your thoughts and experiences with others here.

      Jan
    • darleneloyd
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 26, 2005
        Hi Jan and Mothers for Liberty

        Information about your group was forwarded to me by a very active
        Libertarian male and I am interested in your forming group. I am
        concerned about the future of my children. I do homeschool. I am not
        sure if I am a "Libertarian" by the political standards of your
        forming group though. The friend who forwarded this to me swears that
        my beliefs make me "hard core" Libertarian but I have yet to confirm
        his evalution of me. How would you define "a Libertarian Mother"? I
        look forward to hearing from you.

        Darlene
      • Jan
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 26, 2005
          --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, "darleneloyd"
          <greenfire22@e...> wrote:

          How would you define "a Libertarian Mother"?

          What a great question and what a good beginning you already have by
          being a homeschooling mom. Taking the responsibility of raising and
          teaching our children is a vital part of the definition. Reclaiming
          the right AND the responsibility to educate our children as we see
          fit is perhaps paramount in our quest for Liberty. Teaching them to
          be responsible for their actions, to understand there is no such
          thing as a free lunch - nor should there be, to think "outside the
          box" and to be grounded in the knowledge of our Founding Documents -
          the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution - are all things
          consistent with Libertarian Mothering.

          In less lofty terms, here's what I did as a Libertarian Mother. I let
          my boys explore, debate, question, disagree, complain, challenge and
          teach ME a thing of two.

          I involved them with our family's business endeavors so they would
          see free enterprise at work first hand. I wrote articles and letters
          to the editor so they would know the importance of a free press. I
          took on causes, explained my actions and stood by them as they fought
          their own fights.

          We talked politics, tried to live our principles and loved them thru
          thick and thin.

          Now for a quick definition of a Libertarian: An individual who is
          fiscally conservative, socially tolerant and constitutionally proper.

          Hope that helps, Darlene, and glad you joined the group. If anyone
          has anything they'd like to add to this, please feel free to chime
          in.

          ~ Jan
        • the5thconcerto
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2005
            --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, "Jan" <libertyjan@s...>
            wrote:

            > --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, "darleneloyd"
            > <greenfire22@e...> wrote:
            > >

            > How would you define "a Libertarian Mother"?
            >
            > What a great question and what a good beginning you already have by
            > being a homeschooling mom. Taking the responsibility of raising and
            > teaching our children is a vital part of the definition. Reclaiming
            > the right AND the responsibility to educate our children as we see
            > fit is perhaps paramount in our quest for Liberty. Teaching them
            > be responsible for their actions, to understand there is no such
            > thing as a free lunch - nor should there be, to think "outside the
            > box" and to be grounded in the knowledge of our Founding Documents -

            > the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution - are all things
            > consistent with Libertarian Mothering.
            >
            > In less lofty terms, here's what I did as a Libertarian Mother. I
            let
            > my boys explore, debate, question, disagree, complain, challenge
            and
            > teach ME a thing of two.
            >
            > I involved them with our family's business endeavors so they would
            > see free enterprise at work first hand. I wrote articles and
            letters
            > to the editor so they would know the importance of a free press. I
            > took on causes, explained my actions and stood by them as they
            fought
            > their own fights.
            >
            > We talked politics, tried to live our principles and loved them
            thru
            > thick and thin.
            >
            > Now for a quick definition of a Libertarian: An individual who is
            > fiscally conservative, socially tolerant and constitutionally
            proper.

            > Hope that helps, Darlene, and glad you joined the group. If anyone
            > has anything they'd like to add to this, please feel free to chime
            > in.
            >
            > ~ Jan

            Hi Jan and Darlene,
            My name is Alan. Jan invited me from the Free State Project Forum to
            talk about Dr. Mary Ruwart's book "Healing Our World - The Other
            Piece of the Puzzle", which deals with aggression in our lives; in
            our personal lives, business lives, dealings with government, and
            just about every aspect of our lives. It is an excellent book, well
            developed, easy to read. She talks of how aggression is a like a
            pyramid, with levels reaching from a wide base, building in intensity
            as we climb higher in the pyramid, with aggression begetting
            agression. Tyring to solve problems with aggression, as she points
            out, only makes the problem worse.
            What does she mean by aggression? Forcing others to live as WE want
            them to. Taxation is another form of aggression. Seem a little
            extreme? I promise you, if you read her book with an open mind, you
            will not think so.
            Her book is available online at: http://ruwart.com
          • Jan
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 28, 2005
              --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, "the5thconcerto"
              <grumio@e...> wrote:

              My name is Alan. Jan invited me from the Free State Project Forum to
              talk about Dr. Mary Ruwart's book "Healing Our World - The Other
              Piece of the Puzzle" ... Her book is available online at:
              http://ruwart.com

              Thanks Alan. I had downloaded her book quite some time ago (btw all,
              the download is free) and you've inspired me to pull out my copy and
              get back to reading.

              Wanted to include the book's dedication here as it seems appropriate
              for Mothers of Liberty, reminding us of the beautiful role we as
              mothers may play in the lives of their children.

              To my mother,
              Jean Mary Choiniere Ruwart,
              who in living taught me how to love others
              and in dying taught me the importance of loving myself.
            • greenfire22@ecomail.org
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 28, 2005
                Hi Jan and Alan

                Thank for the definitions - good starting place for me. I have 2 boys as well
                and it is refreshing to hear from another mother who speaks honestly with her
                children. I encourage my boys to question, debate and think for themselves as
                well.

                Alan - you wrote the5thconcerto in the subject area of your message and I am
                reading "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand right now - I am to the part where Dagney
                is building the John Galt line - was your reference related to this book?

                Jan - you wrote a Libertarian could be defined as fiscally conservative,
                socially tolerant and constitutionally proper. I get the socially tolerant part
                but the other two need further definition for me. By fiscally conservative do
                you mean "practical" with money? If so, I am more of a risk taker financially
                and view money with a formula that looks like this: Money = Energy (How you
                handle your energy = How you handle money) The constitutionally proper part is
                hard for me to understand. I feel the constitution was fatally flawed from the
                beginning because when it was written it only applied to white male landowners.
                I know much has been amended since but as a background charter for our current
                society I feel we need to revamp the whole thing. I also feel that because of
                antics in the White House over the last 100 years our constitution has been
                tossed in a way. So I am totally open to hearing what Libertarian ideas are
                around how to uphold a constitution that is barely alive.

                I am going to check out the book recommendation Alan - thank you! I look
                forward to more connection...

                Be Well
                Be Free
                Darlene

                Quoting the5thconcerto <grumio@...>:

> [...]
                >

                > Hi Jan and Darlene,
                >
                > My name is Alan. Jan invited me from the Free State Project Forum to
                >
                > talk about Dr. Mary Ruwart's book "Healing Our World - The Other
                >
                > Piece of the Puzzle", which deals with aggression in our lives; in
                >
                > our personal lives, business lives, dealings with government, and
                >
                > just about every aspect of our lives. It is an excellent book, well
                >
                > developed, easy to read. She talks of how aggression is a like a
                >
                > pyramid, with levels reaching from a wide base, building in intensity
                >
                > as we climb higher in the pyramid, with aggression begetting
                >
                > agression. Tyring to solve problems with aggression, as she points
                >
                > out, only makes the problem worse.
                >
                > What does she mean by aggression? Forcing others to live as WE want
                >
                > them to. Taxation is another form of aggression. Seem a little
                >
                > extreme? I promise you, if you read her book with an open mind, you

                <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
                This email comes to you via EcoMail!
                Swim over to http://www.ecocity.com and sign up for your *FREE* account
              • Jan
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1, 2005
                  --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, greenfire22@e... wrote:
                  Thank for the definitions - good starting place for me. Jan - you
                  wrote a Libertarian could be defined as fiscally conservative,
                  socially tolerant and constitutionally proper. I get the socially
                  tolerant part but the other two need further definition for me.

                  Darlene,
                  Fiscally Conservative in its simplest form means don't spend money
                  you do not have and don't waste the money you do. Fiscal
                  conservatives in government would work to spend OUR money prudently,
                  carefully and wisely. How many times have you heard a businessman
                  say, "If I ran my business like the federal government I would have
                  been out of business a long time ago"!?! WE have to balance our
                  personal checkbooks and live within the confines of our income - a
                  fiscally responsible government would have to the same.
                  Another definition (found in the "Contract with America")
                  states a fiscal conservative is a person who believes in reduced
                  government spending and a reduced tax burden on the citizenry, which
                  would eventually lead to balanced budgets.

                  greenfire22@e... wrote:
                  The constitutionally proper part is hard for me to understand. I
                  feel the constitution was fatally flawed from the beginning because
                  when it was written it only applied to white male landowners.

                  The constitution sets limitations on our government. Any amendment,
                  bill or law that steps outside the bounds of these specified
                  limitations would not be "constitutionally proper". Years
                  ago, I remember reading something Barry Goldwater had said when he
                  was asked as a new senator what he planned to do for his
                  constituents. His response was that before he could do anything for
                  them he would first have to see if what they wanted done was
                  constitutional. He also commented that he was going to Washington
                  not to pass NEW laws, but to repeal the existing ones that were
                  unconstitutional. Before that time, I suppose I had always assumed
                  (rather naively) that our representatives would feel duty bound to
                  work within the guidelines of the constitution. I am not so naive
                  these days.
                  While our founding document is not perfect, for a better
                  understanding of its worth and more information on what is and is not
                  constitutionally proper (i.e. constitutional limitations)you might
                  want to pick up a copy of 2004 Libertarian Presidential Candidate
                  Michael Badnarik's book "Good to be King: The Foundation of our
                  Constitutional Freedom" or take his class "Introduction to
                  the Constitution".
                  visit: http://www.constitutionpreservation.org/).

                  Its great that you are asking such specific questions. It gives me
                  the opportunity to better formulate my own positions in writing and I
                  hope I have been able to offer some clarity on the subject matter.

                  Jan
                • Jan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2005
                    --- In MothersForLiberty@yahoogroups.com, "darleneloyd"
                    <greenfire22@e... wrote: I do homeschool.

                    Darlene,

                    Heather and I have been talking about our reasons for
                    homeschooling ... and the benefits. Do you have anything you'd like
                    to add from your own personal experiences? Also, are you using a
                    specific curriculum?

                    Jan
                  • Jan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                      "darleneloyd" <greenfire22@e...> wrote: I am not sure if I am
                      a "Libertarian" by the political standards ... the friend swears that
                      my beliefs make me "hard core" Libertarian, but I have yet to confirm
                      his evalution of me. Darlene

                      Darlene,

                      I wanted to pass along this link (www.libertarianism.com )for you to
                      peruse at your leisure. I think it will help clarify some of your
                      questions/thoughts on Libertarianism. The link discusses Libertarian
                      stands on important political issues, books on Libertarianism,
                      definitions of Libertarianism, leading Libertarian links and more.

                      Note: Libertarianism.com is a project of the Advocates for Self-
                      Government. The Advocates for Self-Government is a nonprofit
                      educational organization dedicated to helping individuals encounter,
                      evaluate and embrace the ideas of liberty. This Web site is just one
                      of many, many Advocates projects designed to inform people about
                      libertarian ideas, empower liberty activists, and help bring about a
                      freer world.

                      Jan
                    • Jan
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 7, 2005
                        darlene wrote: I am not sure if I am a "Libertarian" by the political
                        standards of your forming group ... the friend who forwarded this to
                        me swears that my beliefs make me "hard core" Libertarian but I have
                        yet to confirm his evalution of me.

                        ----

                        Darlene,

                        Just wondering if you have ever taken the "World's Smallest Political
                        Quiz" to help you discover where you fit on the political map!
                        According to USA Today, the Quiz stands ready to help you determine
                        your political identity.

                        Thought you (and others) might enjoy checking this out at:
                        http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html

                        Its quick, easy and has been a real eye opener for many!

                        ~ Jan
                      • Jan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 12, 2008
                          Jan wrote: Are you concerned about our dwindling liberties and how
                          our children may not enjoy the freedoms we have known in our
                          lifetime? Are you actively working to raise libertarian children? If
                          so, how are you going about it - through homeschooling, activism,
                          membership in the Libertarian Party, etc? Are you watching and
                          influencing legislation (state and national) that would directly
                          affect the precious liberty of our children's future.

                          If you are in the process of raising libertarian children or have
                          already sucessfully raised some free thinking, liberty-loving
                          individuals, share your thoughts and experiences with others here.
                          -------------------------------

                          All,

                          Above is the introductory post I made when I began this group ...
                          with an idea and a hope that there were indeed many liberty-minded
                          moms who wanted their children's future to hold the promise of peace
                          prosperity and freedom ... with individual liberty, personal
                          responsibility and limited government as the underpinning for such a
                          future.

                          Looking back on our group's start date - February 24, 2005 - its hard
                          to believe we are closing in on 3 years of Mothers for Liberty
                          conversations. While the group has had its peaks and valleys in
                          regards to input and dialogue - not unlike every other group - it
                          has been and continues to be a source of information and inspiration.

                          I just wanted to take a minute to thank each of you and hope we will
                          have many more conversations in the future!

                          Jan
                        • Jan
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 26, 2008
                            Well ladies, 2 days ago our MfL yahoo groups passed its three year
                            mark .. and in a month my Libertarian Moms group will celebrate its
                            one year anniversary.

                            I am glad to see that dialogue has picked up here again ... and hope
                            we will continue communicating with each other frequently.

                            In an effort to keep in touch with each other a bit more (should some
                            or all of us care to do so), I would like to invite each of you to
                            post your personal/professional websites and/or blog addresses you
                            may care to share here ... so we can enjoy each other's company and
                            endeavors on a variety of levels via a variety of venues!

                            To get us started, my website is www.themothersinstitute.org
                            and my new blog is "Radical Responsible Mothering" at:
                            http://mothersinstitute.blogspot.com/

                            I look forward to visiting your sites and blogs ... and hearing from
                            you via mine as well!

                            Jan