Re: [Mongolia_2003] M-17

  • Christopher Thompson
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2006
      hey there.  how is the preparation going?  i am from Minneapolis, MN. i studied at college to be a teacher, though i hadn't taught before i came here.  and after teaching my first year here in mongolia, i realize i love it-- though i dont think  that i could teach in the states.  did you get enough info to make you feel a little bit of comfort about going to mongolia?

      chris

      Stacey Wedlake <m.m.goodsoup@...> wrote:
      Chris,

      Personally, things are well state-side. I am finishing up work this week (yay), and I going to try and focus on everything I need to do. Was coming home this Xmas your first time back in the states since you left?

      I am from Colorado, but I went to school from 2001 -- 2005 in San Antonio, Texas. I am going back to Texas in a week to see family and some friends.

      PC seemed interesting to me off and on through college, but I didn't see how I fit in. I was a COM major and thought I was headed into production. Well, I love COM, but I am much more of a media studies nerd. Senior year I got involved in re-starting a feminist group on campus which lead to considering a career in non-profits. I didn't take the chance to live aboard while in school and was looking into options post-grad. And then that led to PC.

      As to my expectations...I am trying my best to walk in with none. Well, except for being really cold. Also, I travelled in Korea and Taiwan last fall and I got a taste of the "fishbowl effect," I expect that to multiplied ten-fold. Oh, wait, I thought of another one, I'm expecting the food to be really bland. ;)

      Where are you from? Did you teach English in the states?

      stacey

      On Apr 26, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Christopher Thompson wrote:

      Hey Stacey...

      how are things state-side?  what state are you from?  what sparked your interest in the peace corps?  what are your expectations?

      well, after 2 years of peace corps in an ed dept, i decided that i wanted to teach (for real) again.  i was lucky enough to get a job with the International School of Ulaanbaatar.  i now teach English Lit to 9th and 10th grades, though next year i will teach lit all the way through 12.  it's fun, and i really like the school.  i will most likely be here for another 2 years.

      if you have any more questions, feel free to drop me a line.

      Stacey Wedlake <m.m.goodsoup@...> wrote:
      Chris,

      Thanks very much for the helpful response.

      So, you are still Mongolia? What are you doing there now?

      stacey

      On Apr 25, 2006, at 8:07 PM, Christopher Thompson wrote:

      stacey...

      after being here in mongolia for almost 3 years, i have found that the REI medium weight long underwear worked very well, and was more than thick enough for the aimag centers.  as a health volunteer, odds are you will be in a province center. i was in the US over xmas, and the medium weights tend to run about $30 per piece (either tops or bottoms).  however, it wouldn't hurt to buy a set of heavy weights as well... you never know when you will take a trip into the deep country side.

      i hope this was helpful

      chris thompson,
      M - 14

      Peace dollars Peace silver dollar Marine corps
      Inner peace Peace Peace sign

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS