Re: [Mongolia_2003] Digest Number 142

  • lier
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2006
      Hi Maureen,

      Congratuation on your acceptance to PC/Mongolia!
      Regarding professional clothes, I definitely felt pressure from my
      school's teachers to dress nicely (it's probably because i'm female...
      they let the men get away with most things). The teachers dress mainly in
      business casual (by the way, i'm in an aimag center - not exactly the city
      nor the countryside)... even in winter, you can see the ladies in high
      heels. If i wear casual clothes i.e. t-shirt, sneakers they would make
      comments. They don't comment on my jeans though. They wear nice clothes
      but its the same nice outfit all week long. So i would recommend bringing
      a few nice dress shirts, 2 pants, and a skirt or dress. They will come
      handy during practice teaching and when you meet important people.
      In the case of electronics, bring them. Most places have regular
      electricity.

      Best of luck!
      Lier Chen

      Yahoo! Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 7p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com
    • maureen.scanlin
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2006
        Thanks! That is helpful. Looking forward to meeting you!
        Maureen

        --- In Mongolia_2003@yahoogroups.com, lier <inkyrain@...> wrote:

        > Hi Maureen,
        >
        > Congratuation on your acceptance to PC/Mongolia!
        > Regarding professional clothes, I definitely felt pressure from my
        > school's teachers to dress nicely (it's probably because i'm
        female...
        > they let the men get away with most things). The teachers dress
        mainly in
        > business casual (by the way, i'm in an aimag center - not exactly
        the city
        > nor the countryside)... even in winter, you can see the ladies in
        high
        > heels. If i wear casual clothes i.e. t-shirt, sneakers they would
        make
        > comments. They don't comment on my jeans though. They wear nice
        clothes
        > but its the same nice outfit all week long. So i would recommend
        bringing
        > a few nice dress shirts, 2 pants, and a skirt or dress. They will
        come
        > handy during practice teaching and when you meet important people.
        > In the case of electronics, bring them. Most places have regular
        > electricity.
        >
        > Best of luck!
        > Lier Chen
        >

        > --- Mongolia_2003@yahoogroups.com wrote: