M-17

  • m_m_goodsoup
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 25 11:50 AM
      I realize that this group is mostly a haven for spam, but I thought I'd say hello. My name is
      Stacey, and I going to Mongolia in June has a Health Volunteer. I recognize some of names
      here as very nice RPCVs that I have spoken to via the Internets.

      I did have a question that I'd love to be addressed by multiple people. What kind/brand etc of
      long underwear do you recommend? There is quite a large price range of many different
      types, and I am at total loss.

      Thanks!

      stacey

      Also, if any other M-17ers see this, drop me a line!
    • Christopher Thompson
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25 7:07 PM
        stacey...

        after being here in mongolia for almost 3 years, i have found that the REI medium weight long underwear worked very well, and was more than thick enough for the aimag centers.  as a health volunteer, odds are you will be in a province center. i was in the US over xmas, and the medium weights tend to run about $30 per piece (either tops or bottoms).  however, it wouldn't hurt to buy a set of heavy weights as well... you never know when you will take a trip into the deep country side.

        i hope this was helpful

        chris thompson,
        M - 14

      • Tim Grenier
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25 7:30 PM
          the brand doesn't matter.  one that wicks away moisture is best.  i would bring a variety.  Midweight and heavy weight.  A good place to get them is Sierra Trading Post.  They have a website.  They are usually pretty cheap as they deal in discontinued styles or ones with small defects.  good luck on finding those defects.  the ones i bought from there have kept me nice and toasty through 3 mongolia winters.  good luck and hope you enjoy your stay in mongolia
          tim
          m14

          m_m_goodsoup <m.m.goodsoup@...> wrote:
          I realize that this group is mostly a haven for spam, but I thought I'd say hello. My  name is
          Stacey, and I going to Mongolia in June has a Health Volunteer. I recognize some of names
          here as very nice RPCVs that I have spoken to via the Internets.

          I did have a question that I'd love to be addressed by multiple people. What kind/brand etc of
          long underwear do you recommend? There is quite a large price range of many different
          types, and I am at total loss.

          Thanks!

          stacey

          Also, if any other M-17ers see this, drop me a line!

          Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding - Albert Einstein

        • Stacey Wedlake
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 26 8:41 AM
            Chris,

            Thanks very much for the helpful response.

            So, you are still Mongolia? What are you doing there now?

            stacey

            On Apr 25, 2006, at 8:07 PM, Christopher Thompson wrote:

            stacey...

            after being here in mongolia for almost 3 years, i have found that the REI medium weight long underwear worked very well, and was more than thick enough for the aimag centers.  as a health volunteer, odds are you will be in a province center. i was in the US over xmas, and the medium weights tend to run about $30 per piece (either tops or bottoms).  however, it wouldn't hurt to buy a set of heavy weights as well... you never know when you will take a trip into the deep country side.

            i hope this was helpful

            chris thompson,
            M - 14

            Peace dollars Peace silver dollar Marine corps
            Inner peace Peace Peace sign

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Stacey Wedlake
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 26 8:44 AM
              Tim,

              Thanks for responding. I have discovered the little gem that is Sierra Trading Post, and it is nice to know that their products are as good as they seem. Do you know what kind of material the ones you have are made of?

              You said three Mongolia winters...so, you are still there? What are you doing now?

              Thanks again!

              stacey

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 26 4:01 PM
                Hey Stacey...

                how are things state-side?  what state are you from?  what sparked your interest in the peace corps?  what are your expectations?

                well, after 2 years of peace corps in an ed dept, i decided that i wanted to teach (for real) again.  i was lucky enough to get a job with the International School of Ulaanbaatar.  i now teach English Lit to 9th and 10th grades, though next year i will teach lit all the way through 12.  it's fun, and i really like the school.  i will most likely be here for another 2 years.

                if you have any more questions, feel free to drop me a line.

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 26 6:41 PM
                  Chris,

                  Personally, things are well state-side. I am finishing up work this week (yay), and I going to try and focus on everything I need to do. Was coming home this Xmas your first time back in the states since you left?

                  I am from Colorado, but I went to school from 2001 -- 2005 in San Antonio, Texas. I am going back to Texas in a week to see family and some friends.

                  PC seemed interesting to me off and on through college, but I didn't see how I fit in. I was a COM major and thought I was headed into production. Well, I love COM, but I am much more of a media studies nerd. Senior year I got involved in re-starting a feminist group on campus which lead to considering a career in non-profits. I didn't take the chance to live aboard while in school and was looking into options post-grad. And then that led to PC.

                  As to my expectations...I am trying my best to walk in with none. Well, except for being really cold. Also, I travelled in Korea and Taiwan last fall and I got a taste of the "fishbowl effect," I expect that to multiplied ten-fold. Oh, wait, I thought of another one, I'm expecting the food to be really bland. ;)

                  Where are you from? Did you teach English in the states?

                  stacey