Re: [Mongolia_2003] Digest Number 115

  • Dan LaMarche
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2005
      A book I heartily recommend is "In the Empire of Genghis Khan" by Stanley
      Stewart from the Lyons Press. It is a travelogue of a gentleman who
      retraced some early European missionary's travels to Mongolia. Stewart
      crossed Mongolia substantially all by horseback from Olgii to Dadal,
      Chingiis' birthplace. He is uncannily accurate in his observation of
      Mongolians in his somewhat brief trip across Mongolia. His observations are
      often humorous but surprisingly dead-on for one who didn't live in Mongolia
      for a sustained time. I often felt he described the Mongolian nomad psyche
      and traditions more plainly than I could after serving 2 years in the PC.
      Good luck on your travels. I have no doubt you will have a successful yet
      perhaps challenging adventure. Best, Karsh (M-14)