Yet another packing question

  • the_sun_at_cal
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24 3:04 PM
      Only 9 days left until staging... feeling the time crunch.

      1. For women: dress shoes? What did you bring? Do you wear them? How
      do you keep your feet warm?

      2. Battery charger: Should I wait and buy a charger in country for
      rechargeble batteries?

      3. Did you have enough time to have a coat made in country before it
      got too cold? I'm bringing high tech fleece and thermals, but no
      coat I think. Same question for scarves, hats and gloves. I'm a CA
      girl.. I don't currently own hardly any cold weather stuff.

      4. Did you pack books and such in your original bags?

      5. Did anyone bring a surge protector for their laptop? How do you
      take care of that risk?

      Thanks for all your help!

      Sunaree, M-16
    • Jennifer Cassell
      Message 2 of 3 , May 24 7:44 PM
        Hi Sunaree,
        Some quick answers:
        1) I brought some heels but have only worn them a
        couple of times. I generally wear dress leather boots.
        I often see people wear one pair of shoes to a place
        and then change them for special occasions after
        arriving. This is useful in the winter when it is
        cold.
        2)I would recommend bringing a battery charger with
        you.
        3)You should have time to buy or get a coat made
        before it gets too cold. Hats, scarves, and gloves can
        be easily bought here.
        4)I didn't really pack books in my original luggage
        beyond the Lonely Planet Mongolia and Phrasebook. If
        you are already a big reader, you might want to bring
        a couple with you. There are plenty of books for
        recreational reading in the Peace Corps office. For
        anyone that is religious, I would recommend bringing
        your own Bible, devotionals, etc with you.
        5) I brought a surge protector/converter with
        me...but, you can pick up one pretty easily here as
        well in the form of a power strip. I worried a lot
        about my laptop in the beginning. Now, I realize that
        computers are exceedingly more durable than we ever
        give them credit for in the U.S.
        Happy packing and enjoy your last few days! Eat lots
        of good food and spend lots of time with your family
        and friends! See you on June 6th in Ulaanbaatar,
        MONGOLIA!
        Jenny

        --- the_sun_at_cal <sunaree@...> wrote:
        > Only 9 days left until staging... feeling the time
        > crunch.
        >
        > 1. For women: dress shoes? What did you bring? Do
        > you wear them? How
        > do you keep your feet warm?
        >
        > 2. Battery charger: Should I wait and buy a charger
        > in country for
        > rechargeble batteries?
        >
        > 3. Did you have enough time to have a coat made in
        > country before it
        > got too cold? I'm bringing high tech fleece and
        > thermals, but no
        > coat I think. Same question for scarves, hats and
        > gloves. I'm a CA
        > girl.. I don't currently own hardly any cold weather
        > stuff.
        >
        > 4. Did you pack books and such in your original
        > bags?
        >
        > 5. Did anyone bring a surge protector for their
        > laptop? How do you
        > take care of that risk?
        >
        > Thanks for all your help!
        >
        > Sunaree, M-16

      • Sunaree Marshall
        Message 3 of 3 , May 24 9:32 PM
          Jennifer, you've been great! Thanks for all of your help!

          ...to Mongolia and beyond!...