Re: [Mongolia_2003] PCV M16 MOM

  • Jennifer Cassell
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11 8:19 PM
      Hi Liz,
      I am so excited to hear that another Floridian is
      coming to Mongolia! Right now, there are two
      Floridians here and we both will be leaving in June. I
      am from St. Augustine. What part of the state are you
      and your daughter from?
      I will agree with Niki about the packing suggestions.
      I can assure you I arrived in Mongolia without a
      winter jacket and by the beginning of October started
      getting a little panicky. But, I was easily able to
      pick up a Columbia jacket at the market for less than
      $30 which lasted me through both of my winters here. I
      highly recommend good pairs of long underwear. I had a
      couple of pairs of lightweight and also pairs of
      military long underwear that I bought online very
      inexpensively before I came. They are hands down the
      best things I brought. Also as a true Floridian, I am
      not too ashamed to tell you that I wore my lightweight
      underwear at times during the Mongolian summer. I am
      sure you can understand that we don't have to be used
      to many days under 50 degrees. I will make one more
      recommendation regarding the packing. The shoes I
      brought for winter wear did not cut it after mid
      November of my first year. For me, it was worth the
      expense to buy some really nice Columbia winter boots
      and have them shipped here. I usually say that is the
      best thing that I had sent here and they have held up
      amazingly well. Many volunteers will get Mongolian
      winter boots made here so...it's up to your daughter
      which fashion she wishes to sport the majority of the
      year. Don't bother with the instant hand and foot
      warmers (the ones you break and are good for about six
      hours). I had some and never used them... even when
      travelling and thinking that the situation would
      arise.
      When I interviewed for Peace Corps and they asked if
      there was anywhere I would not want to go...I gave the
      very Floridian response of saying "I don't want to go
      anywhere cold." Well... my first winter here was very
      difficult for me. And even after two years, waking up
      to snow in the morning was a shock. The only advice I
      can give to your daughter is... you will get used to
      it and it will get easier to the point that you don't
      think too much about it anymore.
      You daughter will have access to internet while in the
      country. It may not been in the town where she is but
      I am sure she will travel to larger towns for other
      reasons and there will be internet access there.
      Telephone access will be available to, whether she
      ends up purchasing a cell phone or using her town post
      office will depend on where she is. It will not be too
      difficult for her to keep in touch with friends and
      family at home regardless of where she ends up living
      in the country. Electricity is not ever too much of an
      issue. I live in the capital so I have consistent
      access but even when it goes out...it isn't all that
      big of a deal to me. Finally...bring the laptop. It
      will provides hours of entertainment. All your music
      can be put on it and eliminate bringing CD's, you can
      buy cheap DVD's from China to watch movies, it's great
      for work, indispensible for digital photos, and to
      write emails to save and send later. Disks do not work
      well in Mongolia at all. So, I would recommend
      bringing a USB jump drive to use instead. I also
      brought a converter/surge protector with me but as a
      side note... have not had grounded electricity since I
      have been here regardless of where I plugged my
      computer in. I have not had any problems with my
      computer. Regarding software, don't buy anything
      special to bring here... software can be bought for
      almost any program you can think of for just a couple
      of dollars. However, any hardware costs about the same
      as it does in America so there aren't any deals there.
      Finally, there is an authorized Dell service center in
      the capital so if you have any major problems...no
      worries.
      Assorted items that were good for my time here and I
      am glad I brought... a really good can opener with
      bottle opener, hand sanitizer, and a nice vegetable
      peeler. Please have her contact me at my email address
      if she is interested in having these...I will get them
      passed off to her when she gets here and it will save
      some packing.
      I'll be more than happy to answer any more questions
      you have about winter or life in Mongolia in general.
      If you would like me to meet you and tell you a little
      bit about Mongolia when I arrive back in Florida, I
      would love to do so!

      Jenny :)
      jmcfro@...

      --- lodeveca <lodeveca@...> wrote:
      > My daughter is scheduled for the June 3rd staging in
      > LA. I am so proud
      > of her as I am sure all parent must be of any PCV.
      >
      > I am looking for as much information as I can
      > regarding the weather
      > when she arrives and how much time before the bitter
      > winter begins. We
      > are true Floridians and never have experienced a
      > real winter.
      >
      > Does anyone know if you will have access to the
      > internet? Telephones?
      > Electricity? Is a lap top a good idea? or a Palm
      > better? Cell phones?
      >
      > I just don't want to her to overpack or underpack.
      > She will be too far
      > away for me to look after. I guess at 27, it's time
      > to see if those
      > wings truely do work.
      >

      > Thanks,
      > Liz, Neurotic Mom

      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
    • unlisted@salientpoint.net
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11 8:19 PM
        I will be in Washington sailing from May 11th till May 19th and unable to check email. I should be back in Emailland on the 20th and will respond to emails then.

        Yours,
        -s.