Re: Re: [Mongolia_2003] PCV M16 MOM

  • unlisted@salientpoint.net
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2005
      I will be in Washington sailing from May 11th till May 19th and unable to check email. I should be back in Emailland on the 20th and will respond to emails then.

      Yours,
      -s.
    • Jennifer Cassell
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2005
        Hi Liz,
        I am so excited to hear that another Floridian is
        coming to Mongolia! Right now, there are two
        Floridians here and we both will be leaving in June. I
        am from St. Augustine. What part of the state are you
        and your daughter from?
        I will agree with Niki about the packing suggestions.
        I can assure you I arrived in Mongolia without a
        winter jacket and by the beginning of October started
        getting a little panicky. But, I was easily able to
        pick up a Columbia jacket at the market for less than
        $30 which lasted me through both of my winters here. I
        highly recommend good pairs of long underwear. I had a
        couple of pairs of lightweight and also pairs of
        military long underwear that I bought online very
        inexpensively before I came. They are hands down the
        best things I brought. Also as a true Floridian, I am
        not too ashamed to tell you that I wore my lightweight
        underwear at times during the Mongolian summer. I am
        sure you can understand that we don't have to be used
        to many days under 50 degrees. I will make one more
        recommendation regarding the packing. The shoes I
        brought for winter wear did not cut it after mid
        November of my first year. For me, it was worth the
        expense to buy some really nice Columbia winter boots
        and have them shipped here. I usually say that is the
        best thing that I had sent here and they have held up
        amazingly well. Many volunteers will get Mongolian
        winter boots made here so...it's up to your daughter
        which fashion she wishes to sport the majority of the
        year. Don't bother with the instant hand and foot
        warmers (the ones you break and are good for about six
        hours). I had some and never used them... even when
        travelling and thinking that the situation would
        arise.
        When I interviewed for Peace Corps and they asked if
        there was anywhere I would not want to go...I gave the
        very Floridian response of saying "I don't want to go
        anywhere cold." Well... my first winter here was very
        difficult for me. And even after two years, waking up
        to snow in the morning was a shock. The only advice I
        can give to your daughter is... you will get used to
        it and it will get easier to the point that you don't
        think too much about it anymore.
        You daughter will have access to internet while in the
        country. It may not been in the town where she is but
        I am sure she will travel to larger towns for other
        reasons and there will be internet access there.
        Telephone access will be available to, whether she
        ends up purchasing a cell phone or using her town post
        office will depend on where she is. It will not be too
        difficult for her to keep in touch with friends and
        family at home regardless of where she ends up living
        in the country. Electricity is not ever too much of an
        issue. I live in the capital so I have consistent
        access but even when it goes out...it isn't all that
        big of a deal to me. Finally...bring the laptop. It
        will provides hours of entertainment. All your music
        can be put on it and eliminate bringing CD's, you can
        buy cheap DVD's from China to watch movies, it's great
        for work, indispensible for digital photos, and to
        write emails to save and send later. Disks do not work
        well in Mongolia at all. So, I would recommend
        bringing a USB jump drive to use instead. I also
        brought a converter/surge protector with me but as a
        side note... have not had grounded electricity since I
        have been here regardless of where I plugged my
        computer in. I have not had any problems with my
        computer. Regarding software, don't buy anything
        special to bring here... software can be bought for
        almost any program you can think of for just a couple
        of dollars. However, any hardware costs about the same
        as it does in America so there aren't any deals there.
        Finally, there is an authorized Dell service center in
        the capital so if you have any major problems...no
        worries.
        Assorted items that were good for my time here and I
        am glad I brought... a really good can opener with
        bottle opener, hand sanitizer, and a nice vegetable
        peeler. Please have her contact me at my email address
        if she is interested in having these...I will get them
        passed off to her when she gets here and it will save
        some packing.
        I'll be more than happy to answer any more questions
        you have about winter or life in Mongolia in general.
        If you would like me to meet you and tell you a little
        bit about Mongolia when I arrive back in Florida, I
        would love to do so!

        Jenny :)
        jmcfro@...

        --- lodeveca <lodeveca@...> wrote:
        > My daughter is scheduled for the June 3rd staging in
        > LA. I am so proud
        > of her as I am sure all parent must be of any PCV.
        >
        > I am looking for as much information as I can
        > regarding the weather
        > when she arrives and how much time before the bitter
        > winter begins. We
        > are true Floridians and never have experienced a
        > real winter.
        >
        > Does anyone know if you will have access to the
        > internet? Telephones?
        > Electricity? Is a lap top a good idea? or a Palm
        > better? Cell phones?
        >
        > I just don't want to her to overpack or underpack.
        > She will be too far
        > away for me to look after. I guess at 27, it's time
        > to see if those
        > wings truely do work.
        >

        > Thanks,
        > Liz, Neurotic Mom