PCV M16 MOM

  • lodeveca
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2005
      My daughter is scheduled for the June 3rd staging in LA. I am so proud
      of her as I am sure all parent must be of any PCV.

      I am looking for as much information as I can regarding the weather
      when she arrives and how much time before the bitter winter begins. We
      are true Floridians and never have experienced a real winter.

      Does anyone know if you will have access to the internet? Telephones?
      Electricity? Is a lap top a good idea? or a Palm better? Cell phones?

      I just don't want to her to overpack or underpack. She will be too far
      away for me to look after. I guess at 27, it's time to see if those
      wings truely do work.

      Thanks,
      Liz, Neurotic Mom
    • unlisted@salientpoint.net
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2005
        I will be in Washington sailing from May 11th till May 19th and unable to check email. I should be back in Emailland on the 20th and will respond to emails then.

        Yours,
        -s.
      • Nikita Desai
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11, 2005
          Hi,

          Its nice to see a parent write a message on this board.  My parents were just as concerned.  DO NOT PACK any heavy winter coats, THE KEY THING is to bring one pair of midweight and one or two pairs of heavyweigh long underweard.  You'll have plenty of time to ship your daughter gloves or whatever else she finds she needs that she cant find in MOngolia.  THe camel wool here is really warm and i bought most of all my winter wear in country.

          Most sites have electricity atleast part of the time.  The dust factor is not too huge to not bring a laptop.  I have my laptop here and its been the best thing! SO thus digital cameras are also pretty popular with pcv's.  Dont bring too many clothes.  You'll notice that mongolians wear the same clothes over and over again and you can too....If i had to repack, I'd bring 4 shirts, and three pants and four pairs of underwear.  Maybe some wet wipes for those days you feel too lazy to heat up water in your house.

          Phone acess is mostly reliable.  If she needs anything, she'll be able to call and ask you for it.  They have toilet paper here, so dont bring that.  I dont know what else to tell you.  Dont worry.  When she gets here this summer, all she'll need is a light jacket and a few summer shirts....Its a beautiful time and she'll figure everything out once she gets here.  Mail has been very reliable at my site and i've gotten all packages my parents and friends sent...

          you can email me personally if you have any questions....I'm actually returning home and flying into LAX on June 3rd...maybe i can even meet her....

          COS-ing PCV

          Niki

          Message 4 of 6 , May 11, 2005
            I will be in Washington sailing from May 11th till May 19th and unable to check email. I should be back in Emailland on the 20th and will respond to emails then.

            Yours,
            -s.
          • Jennifer Cassell
            Message 5 of 6 , May 11, 2005
              Hi Liz,
              I am so excited to hear that another Floridian is
              coming to Mongolia! Right now, there are two
              Floridians here and we both will be leaving in June. I
              am from St. Augustine. What part of the state are you
              and your daughter from?
              I will agree with Niki about the packing suggestions.
              I can assure you I arrived in Mongolia without a
              winter jacket and by the beginning of October started
              getting a little panicky. But, I was easily able to
              pick up a Columbia jacket at the market for less than
              $30 which lasted me through both of my winters here. I
              highly recommend good pairs of long underwear. I had a
              couple of pairs of lightweight and also pairs of
              military long underwear that I bought online very
              inexpensively before I came. They are hands down the
              best things I brought. Also as a true Floridian, I am
              not too ashamed to tell you that I wore my lightweight
              underwear at times during the Mongolian summer. I am
              sure you can understand that we don't have to be used
              to many days under 50 degrees. I will make one more
              recommendation regarding the packing. The shoes I
              brought for winter wear did not cut it after mid
              November of my first year. For me, it was worth the
              expense to buy some really nice Columbia winter boots
              and have them shipped here. I usually say that is the
              best thing that I had sent here and they have held up
              amazingly well. Many volunteers will get Mongolian
              winter boots made here so...it's up to your daughter
              which fashion she wishes to sport the majority of the
              year. Don't bother with the instant hand and foot
              warmers (the ones you break and are good for about six
              hours). I had some and never used them... even when
              travelling and thinking that the situation would
              arise.
              When I interviewed for Peace Corps and they asked if
              there was anywhere I would not want to go...I gave the
              very Floridian response of saying "I don't want to go
              anywhere cold." Well... my first winter here was very
              difficult for me. And even after two years, waking up
              to snow in the morning was a shock. The only advice I
              can give to your daughter is... you will get used to
              it and it will get easier to the point that you don't
              think too much about it anymore.
              You daughter will have access to internet while in the
              country. It may not been in the town where she is but
              I am sure she will travel to larger towns for other
              reasons and there will be internet access there.
              Telephone access will be available to, whether she
              ends up purchasing a cell phone or using her town post
              office will depend on where she is. It will not be too
              difficult for her to keep in touch with friends and
              family at home regardless of where she ends up living
              in the country. Electricity is not ever too much of an
              issue. I live in the capital so I have consistent
              access but even when it goes out...it isn't all that
              big of a deal to me. Finally...bring the laptop. It
              will provides hours of entertainment. All your music
              can be put on it and eliminate bringing CD's, you can
              buy cheap DVD's from China to watch movies, it's great
              for work, indispensible for digital photos, and to
              write emails to save and send later. Disks do not work
              well in Mongolia at all. So, I would recommend
              bringing a USB jump drive to use instead. I also
              brought a converter/surge protector with me but as a
              side note... have not had grounded electricity since I
              have been here regardless of where I plugged my
              computer in. I have not had any problems with my
              computer. Regarding software, don't buy anything
              special to bring here... software can be bought for
              almost any program you can think of for just a couple
              of dollars. However, any hardware costs about the same
              as it does in America so there aren't any deals there.
              Finally, there is an authorized Dell service center in
              the capital so if you have any major problems...no
              worries.
              Assorted items that were good for my time here and I
              am glad I brought... a really good can opener with
              bottle opener, hand sanitizer, and a nice vegetable
              peeler. Please have her contact me at my email address
              if she is interested in having these...I will get them
              passed off to her when she gets here and it will save
              some packing.
              I'll be more than happy to answer any more questions
              you have about winter or life in Mongolia in general.
              If you would like me to meet you and tell you a little
              bit about Mongolia when I arrive back in Florida, I
              would love to do so!

              Jenny :)
              jmcfro@...

              --- lodeveca <lodeveca@...> wrote:
              > My daughter is scheduled for the June 3rd staging in
              > LA. I am so proud
              > of her as I am sure all parent must be of any PCV.
              >
              > I am looking for as much information as I can
              > regarding the weather
              > when she arrives and how much time before the bitter
              > winter begins. We
              > are true Floridians and never have experienced a
              > real winter.
              >
              > Does anyone know if you will have access to the
              > internet? Telephones?
              > Electricity? Is a lap top a good idea? or a Palm
              > better? Cell phones?
              >
              > I just don't want to her to overpack or underpack.
              > She will be too far
              > away for me to look after. I guess at 27, it's time
              > to see if those
              > wings truely do work.
              >

              > Thanks,
              > Liz, Neurotic Mom