Modern Mongolia

  • inkyrain
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2005
      Hi folks,

      I am a M16 scheduled to go to Monogolia in June. Just want to let
      everyone in the NY Metropolitian area know that there will be a
      lecture on Modern Mongolia by Professor Morris Rossabi at the China
      Institute this Friday evening from 6:30 to 8PM (see below for more
      details).

      Btw, should anyone wants to meet up to study Mongolian, please let
      me know. Also if anyone know the exact date my group will be flying
      out to Mongolia, please pass that info along. Thanks!

      Best,
      Lier

      Modern Mongolia: From Khans to Commissars to Capitalists

      This lecture explores the effects of the withdrawal of Soviet
      assistance to Mongolia in 1990, the role of international financial
      agencies in supporting a pure market economy, the way that new
      policies have led to somewhat greater political freedom but also to
      numerous social problems, and Mongolia's relationship with Inner
      Mongolia and China. Lecture followed by a book-signing.

      Morris Rossabi is Professor of History at City University of New York
      and Adjunct Professor of East and Inner Asian History at Columbia
      University. He is the author of Modern Mongolia: From Khans to
      Commissars to Capitalists, Khubilai Khan: His Life and Times, and
      China and Inner Asia from 1368 to the Present Day.

      Friday, April 29, 6:30–8 PM
      $10 member / $12 non-member
      China Institute
      125 East 65th Street
      212 744 8181
    • unlisted
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27, 2005
        Hey Lier,

        I'm in San Francisco so I won't be able to make the lecture. I am
        already reading his book, though. Started it last week, in fact.
        Makes for an interesting read. I've been discussing with some friends
        here the revolution in Mongolia in the early 90s and comparing that to
        what's going on in Nepal currently (a friend of mine here was PC
        Nepal).

        Unfortunate that I won't be able to make the lecture. I'm glad to
        hear, though, that others in the group are doing their homework. Let
        me know how the lecture goes.

        -s.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 27, 2005

          > Btw, should anyone wants to meet up to study Mongolian, please let
          > me know. Also if anyone know the exact date my group will be flying
          > out to Mongolia, please pass that info along.  Thanks!

          Staging starts June 3rd in Los Angeles. Should last till Sunday, I
          imagine. Departure is probably June 5/6th.

          -s.