California people?

  • shelagh16
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8 4:52 PM
      hey all,
      I was just wondering if any of you are currently in California, more
      specifically, Northern/Coastal California. I'll be heading back down
      from Seattle next week to Santa Cruz/Bay Area and thought it might be
      neat to connect with anyone who might also be in that area. Of
      course, I could just be patient like the rest of you...

      Anyway, all this talk of packing makes me feel very unprepared. At
      the same time, I feel like I'm being a little over-enthusiastic with
      what I have so far decided will accompany me:
      my laptop
      music and discman
      shortwave radio
      digital and manual cameras (I'm a picture junkie)
      my sleeping bag - much smaller and lighter but still rated 0 degrees
      some techy underlayers

      As for the rest, I'm pretty sold on the idea of bringing some spices
      (someone mentioned packing these as seeds but I don't know how
      feasible growing herbs would be - any suggestions?) and some teaching
      supplies but I'm thinking I might ship those separately, since I
      likely won't be needing them until the end of August (right?). And an
      ultimate frisbee and (probably) hackey sack will certainly be an
      important part of my whole chaotic mess.

      The article was interesting but the talk of Coca-cola's insidious
      invasion into even the most remote places also depresses me. I
      suppose it's inevitable. And I suppose that my declaring my
      depression over said globalization and cultural expansion is a tad
      hypocritical given my upcoming assignment. ah, well...
      I'm actually in the middle of that book, Fast Food Nation, and would
      also highly recommend it. It's extremely interesting and
      phenomenally well-written.

      But if I don't sign off now, I'm going to write myself a book. I
      can't wait to meet all of you and get to Mongolia.

      -Shelagh
    • daphne bundros
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8 6:54 PM

        Hi Shelagh,

        My name is daphne and I'm currently living in california.... but the southern end... los Angeles to be exact. I'll be accepting my assignment to Mongolia this week.... feeling very excited about it. I am also feeling very overwhelmed by the whole packing process..... I went on a mad buying spree last week and have avoided the whole thing since then. One thing that I find questionable is if women are supposed to dress professionally in a "dree" or "skirt", how are we supposed to keep warm? Anyhow looking forward to meeting you and let me know if you are in the L.A area, and I'd be happy to meet, ect.

        Daphne

         shelagh16 <shelagh16@...> wrote:

[...]

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • bethers5
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9 11:13 AM
          Hey!
          Grow your own herbs? Sounds like a great idea! Just make sure what
          the growing tolerance of your herb is (sunlight, soil, growing
          season). I have read that there are greenhouses in different areas
          of Mongolia, so you might be able to grow them there. Also, I would
          make sure if you will be allowed to BRING seeds and such- alot of
          places do not want introduced species.
          peace,
          Beth

          --- In Mongolia_2003@yahoogroups.com, "shelagh16" <shelagh16@y...>

        • Shelagh Baird
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 14 8:46 AM
            Daphne,
            on keeping warm in dresses: maybe wool tights? I have
            a pair I bought for the somewhat chilly Seattle
            winters and the absolutely chilly Alaskan winters and
            they kept me nominally warm. It's an idea, though
            they tend to be ridiculously expensive.
            -shelagh

            --- daphne bundros <daphnebun@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > ultimate frisbee and (probably) hackey sack will
            > certainly be an
            > important part of my whole chaotic mess.
            >
            > The article was interesting but the talk of
            > Coca-cola's insidious
            > invasion into even the most remote places also
            > depresses me. I
            > suppose it's inevitable. And I suppose that my
            > declaring my
            > depression over said globalization and cultural
            > expansion is a tad
            > hypocritical given my upcoming assignment. ah,
            > well...
            > I'm actually in the middle of that book, Fast Food
            > Nation, and would
            > also highly recommend it. It's extremely
            > interesting and
            > phenomenally well-written.
            >
            > But if I don't sign off now, I'm going to write
            > myself a book. I
            > can't wait to meet all of you and get to Mongolia.

            http://tax.yahoo.com
          • daphne
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 14 3:06 PM
              Thanks for the advice Shelag! I'll look into a pair.

              --- In Mongolia_2003@yahoogroups.com, Shelagh Baird <shelagh16@y...>