490Re: [Mongolia_2003] Calling M-16 volunteers to Mongolia

  • Tim Grenier
    Mar 31, 2005
      Hello.  I am a M14 here now.  The winters are cold here but they are tollerable.  I come from Nothern Wisconsin and the weather is about the same here as it was there.  Where I live here there isn't much snow or rain.  Long underwear I would buy in the States.  A cheap place to get it is at Seirratradingpost.com.  It is where I got most of my stuff.  It is usually cheaper than camping store.  They sell discontinued stuff or stuff with small defects.  Though I have not noticed any in mine.  The worst part of the winter is traveling.  It is usually in a russian jeep and the heaters aren't that good.  Your feet also tend to get really cold.  I usually put mine on an empty waterbottle and that seems to help. People are really friendly here.  But it also depends on you too.  I have a lot of friends at my site and get along with everyone.  But on the other side.  My friend who is in another site has no friends.  I just depends on you.  Make yourself avalible to them and they will like you.  I have some great students and a lot of bad students.  English is a required class for them and in the countryside alot of the students do not want to learn.  They don't see the point since they will more than likely just be herding cattle for the rest of their lifes.  Can't blame them.  The good students will make the job worth it though.
      Hope this helps.
      Good luck and don't let all the paperwork get you down
      Tim
      jemacole6 <jennycoleut@...> wrote:

      Hello past, present and future Peace Corps volunteers. Last month I accepted
      an invitation to teach English in Mongolia with the Peace Corps. After nearly a
      month of carrying on with my life, avoiding the the thought of preparing for this
      huge endeavor, I have finally decided it's time to begin. A current PCV told me
      about this chat room. It seems that it has faded out -- though the old messages
      are helpful. But if any M-16s do stumble on this site, I'd love to chat with you
      about your preparations and all that good stuff.

      For anyone over there now, or who has been over there, I"m curious how
      everyone deals with the winters. Some say they don't notice it. Others say it's
      horrible. I'm trying to mentally prepare for both, but it definitely helps to hear
      other's experiences.

      Also, how social are the communities? How easy/hard is it to become a part of
      the community and bond with the people and students?

      Hope to hear from someone soon.
      -Jenny

      Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding - Albert Einstein

      Do you Yahoo!?