Formula questions

  • peggycardone
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hey everyone,
      I was wondering - for those of you who have been using formula -
      How long does premixed fromula last at room temperature? I know you
      have to discard it within an hour after they start drinking it, but can
      you mix it and keep it at room temp for a few hours?
      What do most of you do when you are going out for a while? Mix it
      ahead of time or bring powder and water?
      I have weaned Charlotte from breastfeeding and am wondering what the
      best strategy is for going to Children's Hospital for the morning
      tomorrow.. and future outings, too.
      Thanks - miss you all!
      Peggy
    • Danielle Hatem
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008
        Hi Peggy,

        Sorry this is late, but when we go to Children's or an outing, we bring the water separate from the powder and make the formula when she needs it.  We bring a couple of bottles with us so we don't have to constantly wash one bottle while out.  It seems to work well... there was one time that we were in a mtg with the doctor for almost 3 hours and we had to give her "old" formula, she survived, we didn't do it again.

        Hope this helps.

        Danielle and Rebecca

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008
          Hi Peggy,

          When were using formula I would hake the powder in a container and
          a bottle of water. I wasn't sure if it could be left out premixed at
          room temp so I played it safe and mixed when I needed it.

          Goodluck at children's.

          Crystal
          --- In MomsStJosephs@yahoogroups.com, "peggycardone"
          <peggy.cardone@...> wrote:

          > Hey everyone,
          > I was wondering - for those of you who have been using formula -
          > How long does premixed fromula last at room temperature? I know
          you
          > have to discard it within an hour after they start drinking it, but
          can
          > you mix it and keep it at room temp for a few hours?
          > What do most of you do when you are going out for a while? Mix it
          > ahead of time or bring powder and water?
          > I have weaned Charlotte from breastfeeding and am wondering what
          the
          > best strategy is for going to Children's Hospital for the morning
          > tomorrow.. and future outings, too.
          > Thanks - miss you all!
          > Peggy

        • Karen Butler
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008
            Hi Peggy,
            I do the same as Danielle and Crystal. If I know Ryan will be eating within an hour of making the formula I will do it ahead of time. Babies R Us sells a plastic container that is broken into three sections for formula. It comes with a lid and you slide it to the section you want and can dumped it into the bottle.

            I hope everything went well at Children's,
            Karen

          • peggy.cardone@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2008
              Thanks Karen, Danielle and Crystal!  That is what we ended up doing and it worked fine - I think I just need to get one of those containers, because the plastic bags we used were a little messy!  :-)

              From: Karen Butler <karenbutler8@...>

              Hi Peggy,