Re: [ModelersCad] Re: 3D printing - advice needed

  • Bill Bedford
    Message 1 of 39 , Apr 24, 2012
      On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:01:23 -0700 (PDT), D Wells wrote:
      > Shapeways may be using the replacement to the HR, but they are not
      > utilizing it to its fullest (high resolution) potential. I got very
      > good quality prints from PAP with little or no clean up, and none of
      > the orientation, or striation issues currently experienced by users
      > of Shapeways FUD marterial.

      I had exactly the same issues with these machines when I had print done
      by a bureau that was part of the 3D Systems franchise. *Nothing* I've
      seen or heard about these machines has convinced me that the quality of
      print varies between bureau. The only difference between Shapeways and
      other bureau is that there are many vocal people on the Shapeways
      forums who have *no* experience of RP/3D printing, or even dealing with
      physical models, and have totally unrealistic expectations of what the
      machine can or can't do.

      --
      Bill Bedford

      "Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun"

      -- Clifford Geertz
    • Bill Bedford
      Message 39 of 39 , Apr 24, 2012
        On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:19:09 -0700 (PDT), D Wells wrote:
        > Hi Bill,
        >
        > Is there a way to optimize one's part/.stl file for Shapeways, that
        > will print with accepable resolution using FUD material, regardless
        > of print orientation?

        The resolution is 375 x 375 x 790 (x y z)DPI for FD and 750 x 750 x
        890 DPI for FUD

        > Also, how do you, or how would you compensate
        > for the areas of that part's various surfaces that come in contact
        > with support material?

        Like all similar machines there are surface artefacts that need to be
        removed by sanding or scraping. This is how one of my customers tackled
        the process <http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6919>. I
        saw the finished model at the weekend and the surface finish is
        indistinguishable from an injection moulding.