Re: [ModelersCad] Re: 3D printing - advice needed

  • D Wells
    Message 1 of 39 , Apr 24 12:01 PM
      Shapeways may be using the replacement to the HR, but they are not utilizing it to its fullest (high resolution) potential. I got very good quality prints from PAP with little or no clean up, and none of the orientation, or striation issues currently experienced by users of Shapeways FUD marterial.

      Donnell

      Romans 10:9-10
    • Bill Bedford
      Message 39 of 39 , Apr 24 1:48 PM
        On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:19:09 -0700 (PDT), D Wells wrote:
        > Hi Bill,
        >
        > Is there a way to optimize one's part/.stl file for Shapeways, that
        > will print with accepable resolution using FUD material, regardless
        > of print orientation?

        The resolution is 375 x 375 x 790 (x y z)DPI for FD and 750 x 750 x
        890 DPI for FUD

        > Also, how do you, or how would you compensate
        > for the areas of that part's various surfaces that come in contact
        > with support material?

        Like all similar machines there are surface artefacts that need to be
        removed by sanding or scraping. This is how one of my customers tackled
        the process <http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6919>. I
        saw the finished model at the weekend and the surface finish is
        indistinguishable from an injection moulding.

        --
        Bill Bedford

        "Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun"

        -- Clifford Geertz