Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

4261Re: [ModelersCad] A very different way of photo etching

Expand Messages
  • daniel caso
    Oct 24, 2012
                I am not sure if it is exactly the same but the process you mean looks as what I've seen being applied by graphic artists to make stamps for getting 3D impressions on paper. They borrowed the method from  the process being used by then -early '80s- for making stamps that were those days replacing the old rubber ones.
               They said, indeed, it was a kind of etching process.
               They did also show me a way of making a mould for castings by pressing a special stuff, used by dentists to get impressions of our teeth, warmed in hot water upon a pattern.
              Thank you for reminding me all that. It is certainly a try worth.

      Van: Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@...>
      Aan: Creamcitytraction@yahoogroups.com; ModelersCad@yahoogroups.com; traintools@yahoogroups.com
      Verzonden: zondag 21 oktober 0:09 2012
      Onderwerp: [ModelersCad] A very different way of photo etching
      This is a forward of a casting group post of some days ago and I'll add to it, below.

      These folks use a product/method where you print a mask from your computer and then photo-develop a two level casting master that can be a master part for sand-casting or a master part for repeated RTV molding/casting.

      Have a look at the video and see if you agree that the stuff looks to be a low tech way of doing two level casting/molding masters.

      i suspect it is just that........ A variation of photo-etching in a different material.

      Mike Bauers


      Hi Folks

      A couple weeks ago, I made this YouTube video to
      show one method we use to make a sand casting pattern.

      Please excuse the poor capture of my computer screen
      that shows the design process.


      Your comments are welcome.




      And below is a follow-up Rod sent to me today... mb
      prices of the stuff, here...


      --- In casting@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@...> wrote:

      This is fantastic and new to me.

      What is this photo-curing resin Rod used? It seems that that stage of the process can also be used for various model building.

      Mike Bauers
      Sent from my iPhone

      The material is Ideal iHP photopolymer and is available 
      from Trodat USA or you can get smaller, more easy to handle
      quantities from <http://www.granthams.com/Pattern/>

      Photopolymer is commonly available in three durometers or
      hardness. The 40 and 50 durometer are soft and flexible
      about the hardness of a pencil eraser. It is used primarily
      for flexo printing and "rubber" stamps. The 95 durometer is
      stiff and hard, about the hardness of a car tire. 

      My main occupation was a printer and these materials were
      a quicker and safer than zinc and magnesium photoengravings
      and a good substitute for many printing operations. These
      are what I made and used until about 30 years ago when
      photopolymers came on the scene.

      Hope this wasn't too long winded an answer.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic