4255Re: Two pier halves in search of a printer

  • Mike
    Sep 15, 2012
      What media did you have Shapeways print your model in? It can make quite a difference.

      Could you please post an image of what they sent you and include a coin in the picture?

      I have an idea or two about this project.

      Mike Bauers, on his phone

      --- In ModelersCad@yahoogroups.com, "teu6500" <oldmancat@...> wrote:
      > The prospect of making cool model railroad object using 3D CAD and 3D printing was too much to resist. I loaded a couple of photos of the first decent 3D project I've completed.
      > The first photo shows a pier that supports an Pennsylvania Railroad (Norfolk Southern) viaduct in northern Maryland. The second photo is my 3D model. The idea is that the two halves will fit around a strip wood that actually supports the track. I'm working on drawings for the spans, too, but that's a story for another time.
      > Now I need a printer. Shapeways canceled my order - the walls were too thin, they said. I made them 0.1" thick to save on material- that's roughly the thickness of an HO car shell.
      > I can't say I was all that broken up when I was rejected by Shapeways - the first samples I got from them were sadly lacking in detail. That leaves me looking for another printer who can do them at an affordable price.
      > Anybody have a suggestion?
      > Bob Edmonson
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic