4245Re: [ModelersCad] Re: 3D printing - advice needed

  • Bill Bedford
    Apr 24, 2012
      On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:19:09 -0700 (PDT), D Wells wrote:
      > Hi Bill,
      >
      > Is there a way to optimize one's part/.stl file for Shapeways, that
      > will print with accepable resolution using FUD material, regardless
      > of print orientation?

      The resolution is 375 x 375 x 790 (x y z)DPI for FD and 750 x 750 x
      890 DPI for FUD

      > Also, how do you, or how would you compensate
      > for the areas of that part's various surfaces that come in contact
      > with support material?

      Like all similar machines there are surface artefacts that need to be
      removed by sanding or scraping. This is how one of my customers tackled
      the process <http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6919>. I
      saw the finished model at the weekend and the surface finish is
      indistinguishable from an injection moulding.

      --
      Bill Bedford

      "Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun"

      -- Clifford Geertz
    • Show all 39 messages in this topic