Re: [Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California] How Do You Organize Your Bottled Hobby Paints?

  • Darryl Huffman
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 4 1:13 PM
      Bob,

      Rather than have 87 colors to organize, I keep only about 10 to 12 colors.

      I use only Testor's paints.  Usually the ones in the little bottles.

      So all my paints fit easily into a cigar box.

      Darryl Huffman
      451 N Evelyn Way
      Star, ID 83669
      darrylhuffman@...

      Looking for information on old sawmills?
      http://ghosttownmodels.com/catalog.html

      .
      How do you organize your bottled hobby paints?

      ,_._,___

    • george hohon3
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 4 1:52 PM
        First by type, second by color and third by "freshness".  Nothing fancy, but at arm's length from the spray booth.  I store mine in the drawers under the booth, with each group being placed in an old Athearn box.  About once a quarter minimum (and more frequently when I'm doing a lot of painting) the entire box is turned upside down into another box so the paint doesn't settle out too bad.

        George
        in SLO, CA

        To: Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com
        From: thecitrusbelt@...
        Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 19:19:27 +0000

        Here is a question for group members:

        How do you organize your bottled hobby paints?

        I know some modelers organize their paints by manufacturer, or color, or railroad, or type (acrylics, solvent-based, etc.) but I'm sure there are other good ways to organize paints.

        Tell us what you do.

        Bob Chaparro

        Moderator

      • Bob Olds
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 4 2:33 PM
          Basically have a cabinet drawer divided up by three shoe box tops.  One is solvent based, another is acrylics, and the third for miscellaneous stuff in bottles (decal solutions, India ink, bottled glues, etc.).  The first two are somewhat organized, essentially going from basic colors, (darker to lighter: engine black - -  box car red - - reefer white), to other RR colors (roof brown - - depot yellow, etc.), stains, and finally solvents.     Bob Olds
        • Roman
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 4 4:15 PM
            Great question.
            As a professional artist working in the field( film ,miniatures ) I am constantly keen eyed on seeking new ways, and thus always interested on being studio shots of fellow artisans.
          • Michael
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 4 4:46 PM
              Bob;
              I normally use a Lazy Susan style bottle holder and sort by color, using a "color wheel" I printed from a website as a template. Since the withdrawal of Railroad Colors from the market, I stock up each time I visit my LHS and am storing the extras in boxes.

              Mac in SoCal, N Scale ATSF, SP, UP, Transition Era, Barstow Area

              --- In Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Chaparro" <thecitrusbelt@...> wrote:

              > Here is a question for group members:
              >

              > How do you organize your bottled hobby paints?
              >

              > I know some modelers organize their paints by manufacturer, or color, or
              > railroad, or type (acrylics, solvent-based, etc.) but I'm sure there
              > are other good ways to organize paints.
              >

              > Tell us what you do.
              >

              > Bob Chaparro
              >
              > Moderator

            • JohnH
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 5 9:02 AM
                These days, I only need two colors, SP Scarlet and SP Lark Dark Gray. Then there are the "detail" colors like Bright Silver, black and white. Everything else goes in the "weathering" category, which is stuffed in an old Accurail box top. Since all my paints are either Floquil or Polly S, they stack neatly in two box tops....

                That's as close to organized as I can get! lol

                John Huey

                --- In Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Chaparro" <thecitrusbelt@...> wrote:

                > Here is a question for group members:
                >

                > How do you organize your bottled hobby paints?
                >

                > I know some modelers organize their paints by manufacturer, or color, or
                > railroad, or type (acrylics, solvent-based, etc.) but I'm sure there
                > are other good ways to organize paints.
                >

                > Tell us what you do.
                >

                > Bob Chaparro
                >
                > Moderator

              • Lancaster James
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 5 9:16 AM

                  On Sep 4, 2013, at 12:19 PM, Bob Chaparro wrote:

                  Here is a question for group members:

                  How do you organize your bottled hobby paints?

                  I don't!

                  JL

                • Bill Hess
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 5 9:39 AM
                    I put the bottles in small boxes which hold 15 or so bottles.  One thing I do is put 5 or 6 BB’s in each bottle.
                    When I shake the bottle to mix the paint up,  the BB’s really help to mix the paint.  The BB’s start “clicking”
                    when the paint is all stirred up.  The BB’s really work good for mixing the paint.

                    BH

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 5 11:36 AM
                          --- In Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com, lloyd lehrer <lloydlehrer@...> wrote:

                          > I have a multi level wall mounted set of shelves divided into four columns. One bottle deep. I organize by roygbiv spectrum from top to bottom and just set similar shades next to each other. Rattle cans are kept in the garage.

                          ++++
                          In the light spectrum, there are seven main or "primary" colors: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet. Although the spectrum isn't necessarily limited to those particular colors, it just so happens that those are the ones you see. In case you did not realize, they are the colors of the rainbow. The acronym for the seven primary colors is ROYGBIV.

                          Did I know this when Lloyd mentioned it? No. I had to look it up. Every day I learn something new!

                          Thanks, Lloyd.

                          Bob Chaparro
                          Moderator
                        • psteinmetz
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 5 11:51 AM
                            I go by brand. Star Brand, Vallejo, AK Interactive, Mig Productions, Floquil, and Poly S.

                            I keep them in clear plastic containers from IKEA. Each container has a label. I stack them on a shelf for easy access.

                            I keep Poly S and Floquil on the bottom, because I use them the least.

                            Thanks to Testors/Floquil/RPM for forcing us modelers to find other paint brands which turn out to be of better quality.

                            Pete Steinmetz

                            --- In Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Chaparro" <thecitrusbelt@...> wrote:

                            > Here is a question for group members:
                            >

                            > How do you organize your bottled hobby paints?
                            >

                            > I know some modelers organize their paints by manufacturer, or color, or
                            > railroad, or type (acrylics, solvent-based, etc.) but I'm sure there
                            > are other good ways to organize paints.
                            >

                            > Tell us what you do.
                            >

                            > Bob Chaparro
                            >
                            > Moderator

                          • Morrie Fleishman
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 5 8:07 PM
                              I keep 3 drawers;
                              1 drawer for all my enamels which are sub sorted by flat and gloss.  I also put BBs in paint bottles to help stir the paint prior to use.
                              The second drawer is for the acrylics in squeezable bottles.
                              The third drawer is for overflow and spray can paints.

                              Morrie

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 6 7:14 AM
                                Since I stopped using petroleum based paints, I sort my paints by road colors. All ATSF paints in 1 row, SP colors in a second, weathering paints in a third, and much larger, row. Other weathering supplies, chalks, flat sprays, ect. have a prominent place on my paint shelf. Decaling supplies seem to find their way to a box next to my decal sheets.

                                Louis Ward

                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 7 10:55 AM
                                  Before I sold my indoor layout, I had all my paints on a shelf in a work closet on narrow rows of tiered shelves I made with hard cardboard.  That way I could read the colors on each row
                                  at about eye height.  But they were not assembled in any one way and I just kinda knew where to look for a specific color.
                                  Early on I used to shake new bottles to mix them, but later got in the habit of stirring them carefully before using so the caps would not stick and be hard to open.
                                  At the moment, all my railroad items and paints are in a garage in boxes.

                                  John Parrish
                                  Upland, CA