Re: clubs that allow youth members

  • psteinmetz
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2013
      Lloyd:

      Short Track Railroad in Vista allows members of any age. If they are younger, usually a parent is around. The parent does not need to be a member. There is no maximum number of young members.

      We don't actually call them "Junior" members. They are just members.

      We don't require them to be N Scale. Many of our members model in other scales.

      We only have one active right now. We are always looking for more.

      We give them responsibility without restrictions.

      Our youngest member, who is about 11, recently redesigned our very popular treasure hunt. Young guests are given a sheet of paper with items on the layout to identify. When they have found the items they are given a choice of prizes plus they can take home recent issues of Model Railroader. It is a very popular promotion.

      Pete Steinmetz
      Short Track Railroad
      Located at the Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum
      Vista, CA
      Open Saturdays 9AM - 1PM.
      www.shorttrackrr.org

      --- In Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com, lloyd lehrer <lloydlehrer@...> wrote:

      > Can those of you that belong to clubs in the southern Cal area, please tell
      > me if your clubs allow youth membership and if so, the minimum age and any
      > special reqts. IF you are not sure, please give me a contact for your club
      > so I can find out. Thanks in advance for that info.
      >
      > --
      > lloyd 310 951-9097

    • george hohon3
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2013
        You might be interested in this side-bar of information on youth membership.  Way back when, the San Luis Obispo Model Railroad Club had a youth membership category.  I don't recall the minimum age (if there even was such a requirement at all ????), but it did have a requirement that the youth had to have a active adult member sponsor and mentor them.

        One of those kids just happened to be the "founder" of HO scale Free-Mo in the United States, and is now currently employed in a hobby industry with one of the largest, if not the largest, decal companies in the US.

        His youthful ideas and goals converted the SLOMRC into a Free-Mo based organization and the first club to actually present a Free-Mo layout at a NMRA regional and national convention.  He is still actively involved with the national Free-Mo experience.

        Another one of our youth members is now the lead/senior conductor on Amtrak's Coast Starlight . . . a train related outcome of a healthy, youthful experience with model trains???  Who knows?

        My point . . . if you're looking for rules to restrict youth membership, don't.  Create rules to encourage their involvement.  Offer them a sponsorship and have the rules apply to the sponsor.  Give the kids a chance, just provide some supervision.  And who knows, you just might be helping the kid become a notable figure in our modeling hobby.

        George
        in SLO, CA

        To: Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com
        From: bdmorden@...
        Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 15:40:11 -0700
        Subject: Re: [Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California] clubs that allow youth members

        Lloyd -

        Here is an excerpt from the constitution/bylaws of the South Coast Society of
        Model Engineers [Santa Barbara].

        Junior member:
        (1) Any person 12 to 18 years old applied and accepted after June 27, 1966.
        (2) The quantity of Junior members shall be limited to five (5), or
        additional
        when parent is a Senior member in good standing.

        We do not currently have any as out most recent one just turned 18. We
        have had
        a long history of Junior members in the club starting with Jon Cure. I
        will not
        tell you how many years ago that was.

        Bruce Morden
        Carpinteria, CA