Track Cleaning with Alcohol

  • Santi
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 3, 2013
      Hi Everyone,

      Question: Which should be used Iso-propyl, denatured alcohol? We have always used denatured but is it to harsh on the rails?

      Thanks!

      Santi
    • Lou
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 3, 2013
        Either is bad for body exposure. Better alternatives are available. Check
        the MSDS.
        http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924412

        Lou

        Question: Which should be used Iso-propyl, denatured alcohol? We have always
        used denatured but is it to harsh on the rails?

        Thanks!

        Santi

        (Yahoo! ID required)
      • John Ford
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 3, 2013
          I amazes me that anyone uses any liquid or abrasive product to clean track. Just use Moleskin, which is available at any drug store, on a weighted "dragger" style track cleaning car and be done with it. We have used this method on the Fresno O scale layout for several years and have ZERO dirty track issues.

          John Ford

          Question: Which should be used Iso-propyl, denatured alcohol? We have always used denatured but is it to harsh on the rails?

          Thanks!

          Santi

        • William Keene
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 3, 2013
            Hello Group,

            Just to broaden this discussion a bit…

            What do those modelers/operators do to clean track that is basically buried in the weeds? It appears to me that the commercial track cleaner cars available would also clean away those weeds between the rails.

            Cheers,
            Bill Keene
            Irvine, CA

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 3, 2013
              Santi:

              There are three types of alcohol readily available.

              1. methyl alcohol  (denatured alcohol) --- a good solvent, but will dissolve some plastics and train paints

              2, ethyl alcohol (  also denatured)  -- a fair solvent and will not dissolve plastics, but will dissolve grease

              3. Iso-propyl alcohol—a very poor solvent and will not dissolve grease very well

              Items 2 and 3 are available at drug stores as rubbing alcohol
              I use item 2 as it will clean tracks and will not harm plastics ( the track roadbed  or trains )

              Bill

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 3, 2013
                Bill,

                With the adhesive-backed Moleskin, the product can be cut into narrow strips to clean the rails and avoid disturbing anything to either side of same.

                John Ford

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 4, 2013
                  I used denatured for a time, and it worked well, but has very harmful vapors and is EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE.
                  Went back to Iso-propyl as it is much safer.  But I still use rubber gloves and get good ventilation.
                  Try making a track cleaning car using a piece of 1/8" Masonite attached to the bottom of an old box car or caboose and you will
                  see a noticeable difference as the car runs along the rails.

                  JP
                • Lindsay smith

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 4, 2013
                      Number 4: I have not test this yet, but I just purchased a bottle of 190 proof Everclear. It is pure grain alcohol and a little water. It is not available in California.

                      Bob Schrempp
                      Free-mo SLO

                      --- In Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hess" wrote:

                      > Santi:
                      >
                      > There are three types of alcohol readily available.
                      >
                      > 1. methyl alcohol (denatured alcohol) --- a good solvent, but will dissolve some plastics and train paints
                      >
                      > 2, ethyl alcohol ( also denatured) -- a fair solvent and will not dissolve plastics, but will dissolve grease
                      >
                      > 3. Iso-propyl alcoholâ€"a very poor solvent and will not dissolve grease very well
                      >
                      > Items 2 and 3 are available at drug stores as rubbing alcohol
                      > I use item 2 as it will clean tracks and will not harm plastics ( the track roadbed or trains )
                      >
                      > Bill

                    • Bill Hess
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 4, 2013
                        kf6yir:
                        #2, the ethyl alcohol is 70% alcohol or 140 proof.� It is denatured so that people do not drink it.
                        ����� Denatured alcohol is poisoned so that it is not drinkable and is then not subject to the tax on drinkable alcohol.
                        ����� 190 proof alcohol is alcohol plus 5% water. 140 proof� alcohol is alcohol plus 30% water.
                        Bill Hess

                        --- In mailto:Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California%40yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hess" wrote:

                        > Santi:
                        >
                        > There are three types
                        of alcohol readily available.

                        > 1. methyl alcohol (denatured
                        alcohol) --- a good solvent, but will dissolve some plastics and train paints

                        > 2, ethyl alcohol ( also denatured) -- a fair solvent and
                        will not dissolve plastics, but will dissolve grease

                        > 3.
                        Iso-propyl alcoholâ€"a very poor solvent and will not dissolve grease very well

                        > Items 2 and 3 are available at drug stores as rubbing
                        alcohol
                        > I use item 2 as it will clean tracks and will not harm plastics
                        ( the track roadbed or trains )

                        > Bill

                        target="_blank" href="mailto:Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California%40yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California] Track Cleaning with
                        Alcohol

                        > Hi Everyone,
                        >
                        > Question: Which
                        should be used Iso-propyl, denatured alcohol? We have always used denatured but is it to harsh on the rails?

                        > Thanks!

                        Santi

                      • Bob Chaparro
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 4, 2013
                          Just a clarification...The term "rubbing alcohol" has become a general non-specific term for either isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) or ethyl alcohol (ethanol) rubbing-alcohol products.

                          Bob Chaparro
                          Moderator

                          --- In Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hess" wrote:

                          > kf6yir:
                          >

                          > #2, the ethyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is 70% alcohol or 140 proof. It is denatured so that people do not drink it.
                          > Denatured alcohol is poisoned so that it is not drinkable and is then not subject to the tax on drinkable alcohol.
                          > 190 proof alcohol is alcohol plus 5% water. 140 proof alcohol is alcohol plus 30% water.
                          >
                          > Bill Hess

                        • kf6yir
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 9, 2013
                            > Denatured alcohol is poisoned so that it is not drinkable and
                            > is then not subject to the tax on drinkable alcohol.
                            Yes, denatured means they have added contaminants to the alcohol. I have no idea what they are, but they can leave residue when the alcohol evaporates.

                            > 190 proof alcohol is alcohol plus 5% water.
                            Alcohol and water equals ZERO residue.

                            Bob Schrempp

                            --- In Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hess" wrote:

                            > kf6yir:
                            >

                            > #2, the ethyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is 70% alcohol or 140 proof. It is denatured so that people do not drink it.
                            > Denatured alcohol is poisoned so that it is not drinkable and is then not subject to the tax on drinkable alcohol.
                            > 190 proof alcohol is alcohol plus 5% water. 140 proof alcohol is alcohol plus 30% water.
                            >
                            > Bill Hess

                          • William Keene
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 10, 2013
                              Hello John and Group,

                              Thanks for the comment and suggestion.

                              It appears that I will be scratch-building a track cleaning car that has a separate pad for each rail without the solid full gauge width design that is utilized on most commercial track cleaning cars. This is going to be a very fun -- and challenging -- project.

                              Cheers and Happy Modeling
                              Bill Keene
                              Irvine, CA

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 10, 2013
                                Bill, MDC has a Track Cleaning Box-Cab kit up into the 90's . It utilized sprung cylinders )front and back) over each rail. If you can find the unit or diagram of it , that may make the project easier.
                              • Andy Jackson
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 10, 2013

                                  Hi Bill
                                  Remember the old MDC track cleaning boxcab? Think Iron Horse in Brea might have actually made it back in '80s. It had 1/2"? rotating pads over each rail. Are you thinking of something like that? Do the Masonite pads wear out? Have seen several but never seen much wear. Really like the bright boy like pads from The Tool Guy at the MR shows. Wonder if there is any way to use those?

                                  Andy Jackson
                                  Bellflower CA

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 10, 2013
                                    Hello James, Andy, and Group,

                                    I had forgotten about the MDC boxcab cleaning unit. Yes, that is somewhat about what would be required. But I believe that the disks -- or whatever pads are used -- should be smaller in diameter. Got to protect those wonderful weeds.

                                    Weeds? Please see the link below for an image of the Santa Fe M.130 with mixed train #80 arriving in Burlington, Kansas, for an example of "weeds". Modeling -- and operating reliably and successfully -- with these is going to be an interesting challenge.

                                    The Gridley Branch -- aka the Burlington District off the Third District of the Eastern Division -- was always a dirt ballasted roller coaster of a railroad. Weeds were a part of what bound the tracks together.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Bill Keene
                                    Irvine, CA

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 16, 2013
                                      You shouldnt get to concerned with alcohols,if it works for you use it!
                                      Just use it in a well ventalated area.If any of you have spray painted you are exposing yourselves to worse chemicals than rubbing alcohol.
                                    • Larry Shepherd
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 17, 2013
                                        I have been cleaning my track for quite awhile now with spray electronics cleaner. It has served me very well.

                                        --

                                        Larry Shepherd
                                        RedRock Management

                                        The information in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by reply E-mail or by telephone at (818) 602-5833, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving them to disk. Thank you.

                                        IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE:
                                        Any Federal tax advice contained herein is not written to be used for, and the recipient and any subsequent reader cannot use such advice for, the purpose of avoiding any penalties asserted under the Internal Revenue Code. If the foregoing contains Federal tax advice and is distributed to a person other than the addressee, each additional and subsequent reader hereof is notified that such advice should be considered to have been written to support the promotion or marketing of the transaction or matter addressed herein. In that event, each such reader should seek advice from an independent tax advisor with respect to the transaction or matter addressed herein based on the reader's particular circumstances.

                                      • Russ Bellinis
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 17, 2013
                                          Rubbing alcohol is not a problem.  If it were dangerous, it would not be sold as "rubbing" alcohol.  The alcohol that is dangerous is denatured alcohol, not isopropel alcohol, especially not 70% isopropel alcohol.  If rubbing alcohol were a problem it would not be used as an almost universal disinfectant/sterilizer in hospitals.
                                          Russ Bellinis