Car routing programs

  • Jeff Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2010

      In my research I find that there are two car routing software’s available on the market.

      Ship It! And RailOp.

      What programs are the members of the list using?

      My issue with both these programs is that they both seem archaic when it comes to the interface.  Neither of these two programs seem to be updated on a regular basis to keep up with the current computer operating systems.

      I have seen the operator side of RailOp but would like to see both programs in use from the input side.

      If you are close to Lakewood, CA and have either one of these programs I would be interested in stopping by and taking a look at how the program is setup and used.

      Jeff Smith

      RailMaster Hobbies

      Lakewood, CA

      www.railmasterhobbies.com

    • bdmorden@sbceo.org
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2010
        Here is another option - JMRI [Java Model Railroad Interface]

        Jeff is asking about computer compatability and JMRI interacts with
        most of the
        current DCC systems. Usually thought of as a DCC decoder aid through its
        Decoder Pro or as a control aid through Panel Pro, JMRI is now developing an
        operations aid. See
        <http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/package/jmri/jmrit/operations/Operations.shtml>

        I am still laying track and while I have thought about options I am not using
        the program so am unfamiliar with how it works but there are some examples at
        the URL above. The program is free, is open code so can be
        modified/customized
        within reason, and has a large (0ver 4800 members) support group on Yahoo! at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jmriusers/

        Just another option.

        Bruce Morden
        Carpinteria, CA
      • lloyd lehrer
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2010
          Jeff, there is a yahoo.group devoted to this and their files section has a set of databases set up to do this for free.

          CarCards · Car Cards Operations Group.
          it may be too time consuming if you want off the shelf, but it is free and you can customize them.

          --
          lloyd 310 951-9097
        • JACK
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2010
            As the old newscaster said.............and that's the way it is.

            For what it is worth I think RailOps is the best. As for updates the only ones that might be needed are minor glitches. The Yahoo Group for RailOps amongst them selves can pretty much solve 95% of the problems and are happy to help. Beware either program have steep learning curves, so bring a lot of patience with you.

            I operate on 7 layouts. 5 RailOps, 1 TT&TO & 1 car tab
          • johnalcyone
            Message 5 of 5 , May 13, 2010
              Hi,

              If you have not commited yet you should check out ProTrak.

              http://www.protrak.cc/

              I have used it for ~3 years now. It is a prototype based shipment router. There are many level of detail that can be used or ignored as desired. The biggest benefit is that since cars are routed to move goods and not by random selection the cars sent to always make sense for each industry and when empty they are routed prototypically back to their "home RR" (staging) or a modeled RR yard.

              A Second great benefit is the author, Jim Moir, is VERY involved with improving and expanding the functions of the program. We also have an active user group which has written an extensive user guide (which is currently being expanded and updated). It is free for download from the ProTrak website.

              Some users are like me on a small layout (12x10) while several are very large (~700' mainlines with 700+ cars). One club in Texas uses it and operates standard, narrow and dual guage trains all in one coordinated operation. ProTrak can handle multiple multiple divisions/branches, railroads and interchange between RRs.

              My biggest regret is not getting ProTrak before finalizing my layout track plan since all the changes I have made so far have been to improve prototype operations and thier need became obvious though using ProTrak.

              Happy railroading,

              John V.
              Freelanced GN Rachel Branch in '68