Layout Progress

  • Jeff Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009

      I have made a lot of progress on my layout (Santa Fe Second District).  Last night I started the wall between peninsula sections. In the photos (see below for link) Cucamonga is on the left and unnamed area is on the right.  I am still trying to figure out what to name this area.  It needs to be a location between Pasadena and Cucamonga.

      The track in Pasadena was completed last week.  So far progress has been great.  The next step will be to get the turnouts in the staging (Los Angeles) powered and working. I am hoping to have the upper peninsula tracks done this summer with a couple of through tracks in the yard (San Bernardino) so that I can run and switch trains around the layout.

      Photos of the progress of the layout can be seen at www.dashwire.com/upjeff

      Comments are welcomed.

      Jeff Smith

    • Mike O'Neill
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
        Thanks for sharing the pictures. I grew up in that area and thanks for the memories.

        Lots of options for towns along the way. Pomona comes to mind first. Some switching available, team track at the station, piggy back ramp, a few sidings. La Verne water plant could be a spur near by. PE crossing, depending on the time period you're modeling. Or at least the SP in later years. Could even model a small interchange. I don't think SF and SP ever interchanged there in real life, but it's your model.

        San Dimas has the Lumber yard for years and furniture warehouse. That and another siding or two. I'm sure others will have more details.

        Glendora had a few industries near downtown there. Not sure about a station. I know San Dimas and Pomona had stations.

        Azusa had a station and I think a PE connection. So I'm sure there would be other industries near by.

        The brewery at Irwindale obvously. That and another SP crossing. But that industry would depend on time frame again. That and several other industries working into Pasadena. More so before the freeway opened up for sure.

        Not sure if that helped much, but good times.

        Mike

        On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Jeff Smith <jeff@...> wrote:

        I have made a lot of progress on my layout (Santa Fe Second District).  Last night I started the wall between peninsula sections. In the photos (see below for link) Cucamonga is on the left and unnamed area is on the right.  I am still trying to figure out what to name this area.  It needs to be a location between Pasadena and Cucamonga.

        The track in Pasadena was completed last week.  So far progress has been great.  The next step will be to get the turnouts in the staging (Los Angeles) powered and working. I am hoping to have the upper peninsula tracks done this summer with a couple of through tracks in the yard (San Bernardino) so that I can run and switch trains around the layout.

        Photos of the progress of the layout can be seen at www.dashwire.com/upjeff

        Comments are welcomed.

        Jeff Smith

      • W. Lindsay Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009
          How about Mud Springs?
          AT&SF joined with the SGV&LA to get to the Pacific. A Historic event that created the Second District.
          Lindsay Smith, Curator of the Pacific Railroad Museum in San Dimas.
          --- In Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Smith" <jeff@...> wrote:

          > I have made a lot of progress on my layout (Santa Fe Second District). Last
          > night I started the wall between peninsula sections. In the photos (see
          > below for link) Cucamonga is on the left and unnamed area is on the right.
          > I am still trying to figure out what to name this area. It needs to be a
          > location between Pasadena and Cucamonga.
          >

          > The track in Pasadena was completed last week. So far progress has been
          > great. The next step will be to get the turnouts in the staging (Los
          > Angeles) powered and working. I am hoping to have the upper peninsula tracks
          > done this summer with a couple of through tracks in the yard (San
          > Bernardino) so that I can run and switch trains around the layout.
          >

          > Photos of the progress of the layout can be seen at www.dashwire.com/upjeff
          >
          > Comments are welcomed.
          >

          > Jeff Smith
          >
          > RailMaster Hobbies
          >
          > Lakewood, CA
          >
          > www.railmasterhobbies.com

        • Don DeLay
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2009
            Upland had a lot of citrus industry business and a PE spur was crossed
            at Euclid Ave. I remember at least a small 4 track yard on ATSF and the
            parallel PE (SP) main had a spur dropping down to almost the ATSF
            tracks to serve a shipper. The ATSF depot is still there (a wine
            tasting establishment). Could make for an interesting model scene.

            Don DeLay
            Upland, CA
          • Jeff Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 18, 2009

              My layout is moving along very well.  I ran out of track again.  Let’s see that is 300+ feet and I ordered another 90 feet of track.  I have some curved turnouts on order for the east end of San Bernardino yard.  After that my next big purchase will be the DCC system. OK it is nice to be able to not have to wire blocks and such but $1000 for a DCC (wireless) 3 cab system is going to set me back a bit.

              Enjoy the photos, I also added some photos of the room how it looked right after starting this project.

              www.dashwire.com/upjeff

              Jeff Smith

              RailMaster Hobbies

              Lakewood, CA

              www.railmasterhobbies.com

            • THOMAS FRANK
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 19, 2009
                Jeff, thanks for the update. Looks like you will have a nice layout to operate when you are finished laying tracks. Hopefully I will be able to find the time to come down for a visit this coming winter season. I have finished laying all the track to just short of the upper level and have wired all of it. I cannot do the upper level till I do all the backdrops upper and lower . This because I do not want to have to work trying to paint backdrops bending over and under benchwork. Thats for younger guys. I can have some operation with what I have so far. I will keep you posted and later hope to be able to send some photos of my progress. Tom Frank