Re: [Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California] Eucalyptus trees

  • Bob Schrempp
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 31, 2008
      They are everywhere still. Just ride the train from LA to SLO. They are
      all through the Santa Barbara and SLO alone the right of way. They are
      all over the Santa Cruz branch between Watsonville and Daven Port.

      Bob Schrempp
      Free-Mo SLO

      --
      Bob Schrempp
      mailto:bschrempp@...
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 31, 2008
        G'Day All

        I would surgest looking up an ussie Modelling magazine called ,
        Australian Model Railway Magazine It's on Line just don't have the
        website handy now.

        Also as a Note The Head of UP visited australia many many years ago
        and bought back seadlings of Aussie Gum Tree's / Eucalytus trees
        which in Aussie speak are the same as an Aussie I had them in my yard
        of my house back there and now live in nth California and still have
        them in my yard and street here too which brings back fond memories
        of my home land.

        The Gum Trees that he bought back where the wrong type to use as
        cross ties as they where the softer gum and also split to easy, in
        Australia they used Iron Bark and Redgum as the cross ties as both
        where very hard and termite resistant and would last almost 40 years.
        as they could be fliped over and used a second time, Also Aussie
        cross ties are wider than those used here they measure 12" x 6" and
        are appox the same length as the US versions.

        The Gum/ Eucalytus trees here are white Gum which is also know as
        Ghost gum as in drough times they will drop branches with out warning
        and have killed unsuspecting campers.

        Anyway Look up AMRM on line in the Aussie websites and hopefully you
        may find info about modeling Eucalytus Trees

        Regards Malcolm The Aussie Up Over in Nth Cal

        --- In
        Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com, "Richard
        Stern" <rstern1@...> wrote:

        > Eucalytus was originally brought to Southern California by the SP
        and ATSF
        > for use as ties and poles, but it didn't work out. Afterwards, it
        was very
        > commonly used in Southern California for wind breaks, and then
        seemed to be
        > used as decorative trees in all sorts of places. I recall long
        rows of
        > these trees planted along roads and railroads and orchards, and
        many as
        > "street trees" when I was growing up there. I suspect they are a
        bit less
        > common now, but for anyone modeling the 1950's, these trees were
        very
        > characteristic.
        >

        > Rs
        >

        > I was just wondering why you need eucalyptus trees anyway.
        Planning to have
        > a lot of Koala Bears around? Australian logging railway?
        >

        > (By the way...the Aussie Narrow Guage Magazine is GREAT!)
        >

        > .
        >

        > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?
        s=97359714/grpId=16488271/grpspId=1705063576/msgI
        > d=2571/stime=1230707417/nc1=3848621/nc2=4025373/nc3=5191955>

      • Richard Stern
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 2009
          <Bob Schrempp wrote>
          > They are everywhere still. Just ride the train from LA to SLO. They are
          > all through the Santa Barbara and SLO alone the right of way. They are
          > all over the Santa Cruz branch between Watsonville and Daven Port.

          Bob, you're right of course. I meant that I didn't know they were commonly
          used for windbreaks any more.
          Rick
        • John J Quinn
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 3, 2009
            Joseph,
            Pricey. Club member brought a bag od sagewood back from his place in
            Montana. Great stuff. Real knarly but in my opinion not suitage for
            eucalyptus. Great for oaks, etc.
            Thanks though.
            John Q

            --- In Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com, Joseph
            Karkusiewicz <igoregor007@...> wrote:

            > Try www.FSMtrees.com he has a lot of tree armatures. His posts are
            sometime on Yahoo's treemaking yahoogroup.
          • Joseph Karkusiewicz
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 3, 2009
              That's fine. I have purchased from him previously and the main reason I also gave this suggestion  (FSM Trees) is because because I am a member of over 60 different Yahoogroups and one of them is treemaking. I have heard good comments on the items he sells from group members on this particular yahoogroup, although I usually end up making my own tree armatures from scratch due to my wanting to recycle items my own way, such as reclaiming used copper wires inside of automotive battery cables. My N-Trak club asked me to be one of three members giving a clinic on tree-making later this month due to the vast amount of pine trees I have made as donations for club and member modules in 2008. The other reason I gave a suggestion of FSM Trees is because someone else had suggested JTT Trees. I saw their trees for the first time at iHobby in Rosemont, IL in 2007. While a few of the trees looked great, the majority looked terrible, such as the weeping willow tree they offered. The picture they had did in their catalog not do justice to an actual N-scale model. My opinion is they should have had a lot more pages to their catalog and larger pictures available.

              And you are welcome.

              Joseph Karkusiewicz
            • Dan D Sparks
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 7, 2009
                There is a Yahoo group about modeling trees:
                A quick search there yielded results

                Dandy
                http://dan-d-sparks.blogspot.com
              • Bruce Morden
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 8, 2009
                  Not sure anyone has mentioned Bruce Petty's page on Eucalyptus Trees
                  http://www.geocities.com/duncan2train/eucalyptus.html

                  There are some good prototype photos and some modeling tips. I think Bruce
                  uses just a bit too much foliage. Many eucalyptus trees are light and airy
                  on the leaves.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Bruce Morden
                  Carpinteria, CA