Re: [Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California] Pink or blue foam board

  • carldw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2007
      In a message dated 4/30/2007 11:18:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, jdklein21@... writes:
      as if I could buy the pink foam board in Orange
      County or in Kern County
      Can't get it in Kern County ! I had to drive to Home Depot in Fresno to get mine.

      Doug Wagner
      Bakersfield, California

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • stillcv@juno.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2007
        I too have wondered about where blue or pink foam might be available.
        In Torrance, the Home Depot and Lowes carry only white insulation
        construction foam, which seems to be formed from small irregular closed
        cell units making it difficult to shape using a saw. The closed cells
        tend to break out as units leaving an irregular surface. I would
        expect a hot wire might be able to do a better job on this type of
        foam, but it appears, as I have see in an article in Model Railroader
        (Landscaping with Foam, April 2004, P46-49), that the pink foam does
        not have the closed cell structure and can be accurately shaped with
        just a razor saw. I hope others have more knowledge about this.

        Don H.
        Torrance
      • grobbiedobbie
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2007
          --- In Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com,
          "jdklein21" <jdklein21@...> wrote:

          > Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me where a good place to
          > buy either the blue or pink foam board might be? <snip>

          Hi,

          You can buy Dow (blue) Square Edge (2' wide) or Square Edge Wide (4'
          wide) at Foam Sales and Marketing, in Burbank, in several thicknesses.
          See http://www.foamsalesmarketing.com/ The last time I bought some,
          a couple of years ago, 1 inch thick 4x8' sheets were about $27 each.
          I'd call first, and as I recall, they take cash or possibly checks.
          No cards (then).

          I've special ordered Foamular (Owens-Corning, pink) from Dixieline
          Home Centers in the past, but it's hard to order less than a pallet
          (72 sheets). I don't know if there's a Dixieline outside San Diego
          County, but a good lumber yard ought to be able to order this stuff
          for you.

          Good luck.

          Gary Robinson
          San Diego, CA
        • mancosbob@verizon.net
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2007
            I'm glad I'm finding this out before I needed the stuff; I'm sticking to stapled cardboard strips, rock castings and plaster cast ctoth for the base; the environment will be better off. !Did I just say that!?!

            John Huey

            Message 5 of 11 , May 1, 2007
              In Orange County, Southwestern Insulation & Sheet Metal [12851 Nelson St, Garden Grove, CA 92840,(714)530-2980] sells blue foam board in 2'x8' sheets in thicknesses of 3/4", 1", 1.5" and 2". A 1" sheet runs about $16.

              Jim Lancaster

              >> Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me where a good place to
              >> buy either the blue or pink foam board might be? <snip>
              >>
              >Hi,
              >
              >You can buy Dow (blue) Square Edge (2' wide) or Square Edge Wide (4'
              >wide) at Foam Sales and Marketing, in Burbank, in several thicknesses.
              > See http://www.foamsalesmarketing.com/ The last time I bought some,
              >a couple of years ago, 1 inch thick 4x8' sheets were about $27 each.
              >I'd call first, and as I recall, they take cash or possibly checks.
              >No cards (then).
              >
              >I've special ordered Foamular (Owens-Corning, pink) from Dixieline
              >Home Centers in the past, but it's hard to order less than a pallet
              >(72 sheets). I don't know if there's a Dixieline outside San Diego
              >County, but a good lumber yard ought to be able to order this stuff
              >for you.
              >
              >Good luck.
              >
              >Gary Robinson
              >San Diego, CA
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Elson Trinidad
              Message 6 of 11 , May 1, 2007
                At 07:48 AM 5/1/2007, grobbiedobbie wrote:

                You can buy Dow (blue) Square Edge (2' wide) or Square Edge Wide (4'
                wide) at Foam Sales and Marketing, in Burbank, in several thicknesses.
                See http://www.foamsalesmarketing.com/ The last time I bought some,
                a couple of years ago, 1 inch thick 4x8' sheets were about $27 each.
                I'd call first, and as I recall, they take cash or possibly checks.
                No cards (then).

                I bought some 2" foam from them last November and paid with a credit card.
                Most of their clients are movie studios that fashion sets and props from the foam, so they would have to take plastic.

                Elson Trinidad • Los Angeles, California, USA
                e l s o n @ e l s o n g s . c o m
                The new shade of soul: www.elsongs.com

              • Michael Collins
                Message 7 of 11 , May 1, 2007
                  Actually, if anyone has located any in West LA, or for that matter, anywhere in Los Angeles, I would love to know where. Last bunch I bought was in Salinas.
                • Elson Trinidad
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 1, 2007
                    Enjoy...

                    At 12:48 PM 5/1/2007, Michael Collins wrote:

                    Actually, if anyone has located any in West LA, or for that matter, anywhere in Los Angeles, I would love to know where. Last bunch I bought was in Salinas.

                    http://www.eset.com

                    Elson Trinidad • Los Angeles, California, USA

                  • Sean Martin
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 1, 2007
                      You can get dense foam in North San Diego County (Vista) at Star Foram (Pro Foam):

                      This not blue or pink foam but the dense white foam like Woodland Snenics uses.

                      Sean

                      At 12:48 PM 5/1/2007, Michael Collins wrote:

                      Actually, if anyone has located any in West LA, or for that matter, anywhere in Los Angeles, I would love to know where. Last bunch I bought was in Salinas.

                      http://www.eset. com

                      Elson Trinidad • Los Angeles, California, USA

                      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                    • wretchedrichard
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 2, 2007
                        <jdklein21@...> wrote:

                        > Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me where a good place to
                        > buy either the blue or pink foam board might be? >
                        ++++++++++++++++++++++
                        Temple City Toys and Trains has blue foam sometimes. Smart business
                        practice, too. As long as you're in the store getting the foam, may as
                        well pick up some roadbed, track, and rolling stock....

                        ===============
                        Moderator's Note:

                        More on the store-

                        Temple City Toys and Trains