7505Re: [Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California] That Gap Between Buildings

  • Russ Bellinis
    Jul 28, 2014
      Bill, you might not even need color photos.  The Fullerton Railway Plaza Association has one cut away model of a packing house on the front of a module that they show with the Orange County Module Railroaders that has an interior shot in black and white.  You have to look at it for a while before you realize that the photo is in black and white.

      Also if you are careful about what is in the alley photo-ie no modern cars, no people in modern fashions, in other words nothing that could not have been there in 1954, you could go out and take a picture of an alley today in color that would look fine in your model railroad.

      Russ Bellinis

      On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM, William Keene wakeene@... [Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California] <Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Bob,

      Nice!  And you can get two view filling truck vans out of one old Athearn trailer. Thanks for sharing this idea.

      I also like the idea of using alley photos. This is something that I have not tried but might do so in the future. All I need to do is find color alley images from before 1954.

      Cheers,
      Bill Keene
      Irvine, CA

      On Jul 28, 2014, at 11:41 AM, thecitrusbelt@... [Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California] <Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from thecitrusbelt@... [Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California] included below]

      As many of you do, I use shallow relief buildings along the walls of my layout room to hide those walls.  But there always is the problem of the gaps between the buildings which expose the walls I’m trying to conceal.

      Over the years I have used photographs, trees, roads with emerging vehicles and even a short section of track with a freight car (or partial freight car) to fill the gaps.

      I had this come up again on the current layout so I decided to make the gap into an alley and place a truck trailer in the alley.  This was a reasonable fix.  And then this past week while I was in Fresno for the Santa Fe Railway Historical & Modeling Society’s convention I discovered a prototype for the fix.

      The model and prototype images are attached.

      Group, what fixes have you used for this problem?

      Bob Chaparro

      Moderator

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic