Re: hmmRe: [Mito] Growth Hormone Question

  • Brian Kenney
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009
      Thanks  for the info!! Grace was doing PT but now has stopped becasue they don't feel she need it anymore.  She still has weakness in her left leg and her right leg is turning inward. We don't want to do the drugs because of long term effects, but her Pediatrician said it was not fair to Grace to make a descion for her that would affect her long term, in other words, she will be extremely small.  We are ok with her being little, she has a BIG personality, very strong, outgoing.  Im sure you know as a parent you want to fix everything on your child and make it better. She will be fine in explaining herself when she goes to school.  I just don't want her to be made fun of when she goes to school.

      From: Brian Kenney <cle17g9@sbcglobal. net>
      To: Mito@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 7:47 PM

      Thanks for the info , to answer your questions her hair just started to grow her nails grow slow.  She just got on the growing charts for weight and height she is doing ok with weight  but not with height.

      From: Kelli <mommie2angels@ bellsouth. net>
      Subject: Re: [Mito] Growth Hormone Question
      To: "Mito" <Mito@yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 7:29 AM

      Pia, two of our children do not produce growth hormone. We gave our 16 year old growth hormone injection for about 3 years. We did this mainly to help with lung growth. She isn't able to sit up or walk and we didn't want her to get so big we couldn't take her places with us. Once her lungs got to capacity and she was breathing better we stopped.

      Our 17 month old has been getting growth hormone injections since he was born.

      Kelli
      http://nomatterwhat happens-kelli. blogspot. com/

      From: "gpk8905"
      Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:42:09 -0000
      To: <Mito@yahoogroups. com>
      Subject: [Mito] Growth Hormone Question

      Hi,

      We took Grace to see Dr. Rodgers @ clinic last week he said that her body may not be making the growth hormone, and would like to do a test on her, and if possitive start shots. We do want to start this but I had to take here in for skin infection to her ped and he was kinda of upset that we would not do this for her. So I was hoping for some help from all of you on what to do. She will be 4 in a week and is the size of a 18-24 month old. We are used to her being so tiny, but she will be starting school and I don't want her to be made fun of. Thanks ahead of time for any info.

      Pia

    • A Chapman
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009
        does she wear afo's?  that might help with the leg turning in.
        when she starts school - demand APE 3-5 days per week start with 30 minutes then in a year or so 55 minutes.  that way, they can work on strength building in her leg.

        From: "gpk8905"
        Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:42:09 -0000
        To: <Mito@yahoogroups. com>

        Hi,

        We took Grace to see Dr. Rodgers @ clinic last week he said that her body may not be making the growth hormone, and would like to do a test on her, and if possitive start shots. We do want to start this but I had to take here in for skin infection to her ped and he was kinda of upset that we would not do this for her. So I was hoping for some help from all of you on what to do. She will be 4 in a week and is the size of a 18-24 month old. We are used to her being so tiny, but she will be starting school and I don't want her to be made fun of. Thanks ahead of time for any info.

        Pia

      • Lisa Swenson
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009
          Growth hormone does a lot more than just help a child grow.  It also strengthens their muscles and helps stabilize blood sugar etc.  If your child doesn't produce enough growth hormone they need to have it replaced.  It's no different then a diabetic needing to take insulin.  There's a great website www.magicfoundation.org that has information on growth hormone and what it does and why it's needed other than just growth.
          Lisa

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
            What are afo's? The endurance of pt is alot for her she sweats and gets tired fast.
            Thanks Pia

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
              afo stands for - ankle foot othosis. they are similar in design to a ski boot.  they fit the child's foot and up to the ankle sometimes all the way up to just below the knee.

              the afo keeps the knee, ankle and foot aligned.

              you can check with the pediatrician or pt to see if it might be helpful.  an orthotics company will help you get one or both feet fitted.  in our case, insurance covered it.
              this sight is not where i got my son's afo's from... just googled afo and this site shows great pictures of the various options.

              From: "gpk8905"
              Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:42:09 -0000
              To: <Mito@yahoogroups. com>