RE: [Mito] Re: Keppra

  • TARA WYATT
    Message 1 of 44 , Dec 1, 2006
      Laurie -

      My son was put on Keppra as his only seizure med from Oct 2005 to June 2006, when we added Topamax.  We've since tried Lamictal, Prednisone, and Aidan is now on ACTH along witha small dose of Keppra.  We'll be weaning the Keppra over the next few months.  Aidan's Neuro did prescribe B6 with the Keppra since it can sometimes cause mood problems.

      Good Luck,

      Tara & Aidan

      To: Mito@yahoogroups.com
      From: sherylsuml@...
      Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 07:13:01 +0000
      Subject: [Mito] Re: Keppra

      My daughter takes it, I am not sure it has helped at all. She also is
      on Tranxene which we are weaning. The Tranxene we started weaning
      awhile ago, but kept the nighttime dose because she was not sleeping
      good. Once we moved her COQ10 dose up to earlier in the day we have
      not had a problem with sleeping. I don't know of any side affects, my
      daughter too is very low tone and so not sure if this contributing
      too it.
      Sheryl

      --- In Mito@yahoogroups. com, "Laurie" <lauraliew@. ..> wrote:

      > Tuesday Josephine was admitted into the hospital for a Video-EEG,
      MRI,
      > food study, and lab work. Right before being discharged, the
      > neurologist came tell us her preliminary findings from the EEG.
      She
      > said Josephine was having tonic seizures, and prescribed Keppra.
      (At
      > this time) she was not given any other anti-seizure medication.
      Now
      > that I am home and reading more about seizures and Keppra I have
      many
      > more questions for the doctor. (Even though she was having a Video-
      > EEG, I was not prepared to hear that she was having seizures). I
      have
      > read that Keppra is not given/taken by itself--it is in addition
      other
      > anti-seizure medications. Do any of your little ones take Keppra
      by
      > itself? Also, how can I determine if she is experiencing weakness
      (a
      > side effect) when she has hypotonia?
      >
      > I have a follow-up appointment with her neurologist in January and
      > hope to get the actual report in a week or two. Meanwhile I am
      > beginning to formulate more questions. Any advice or infromation
      you
      > can give would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Laurie mom to Josephine 2 years (MELAS)

      Search from any Web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Live Toolbar Today! Try it now!
    • Wgirl86@aol.com
      Message 44 of 44 , Aug 9, 2009
        Our on Sam has been on Keppra since he was 6 months old - he just turned 2 in June.  He never had any side effects from it - he has always been a very docile child, and remained so on Keppra (he has also been on B6 since before he was started on Keppra, so that may have helped.).  He had Infantile Spasms, and the Keppra stopped the seizures from the first dose.  At the beginning of July we started weaning him from the Keppra since he has been seizure free for 18 months now - so far so good, and we are seeing some increased attention to things around him since we started the wean.

        Margie, mom to Sam