Re: residual ??

  • Katie
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 27, 2006
      We check residuals every 4 hours and Alex is allowed to have up to
      one hour worth of feeds (he is on continuous feeds 20 hours a day).
      If he has over one hour we hold feeds for 30 minutes and recheck.
      If he continues to have high residuals we decrease the rate. I am
      NICU nurse and we follow the same rules with our babies. If you are
      doing bolus feeds-after 3 hours you should have less than 1/4 of the
      feed as residual. Hope this helps!

      -Katie

      Alexander 3- severe GI motility issues including chronic intestinal
      pseudo-obstruction, migraines, ptosis, hypotonia.--

      - In Mito@yahoogroups.com, Meagan <tooge01@...> wrote:

      > I have a question for anyone who checks
      > residuals.....how much of the feed should have cleared
      > the stomach at 1hr and at 2hrs? Sophies GI doc thinks
      > she may have some motility issues (duh, ya think) and
      > Ive started checking residuals to prove what Ive been
      > saying about this. I am repeatedly surprised at the
      > amounts. Any info on this is appreciated.
      >
      > Meagan, mom to
      Sophia, 2, Complex I, III, & IV deficiencies
      www.caringbridge.org/ky/sophiesong

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Kim Smith
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
        Anne,
          I have absolutely nothing useful to contribute,,cause my boys don't have g-tubes. BUT,,,,I did get a laugh out of your subject line !! I don't know about you,,,but,if someone would have told me,,10 years ago,,that I would be part of an online group,,with subject title's like that,,,I would NEVER have believed them ! I mean,,,I read the title,,,and didn't even bat an eyelash,,,just opened it up,,and read the e-mail ! LOL,,,,I guess it just shows how different my life has become,huh ?
          I hope Asher is doing better,,,and you have figured out what the problem is. BTW,,,,how are you enjoying Ohio ?

        Kim mom to Meaghan 16 ~~Katelyn 13 Bipolar,and OCD ~~ Logan 8 Mitochondrial myopathy Complex II and IV, Autism,and JRA ~~ and Ethan 7,,Severe dyslexia,ADHD,CAPD,neuromuscular scoliosis and mitochondrial myopathy

        http://mail.yahoo.com