strange bowel movements

  • ikeleclaire
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      I'm so glad I have a place I can talk so openly about poop!:)

      Ellie, my almost 3 year old has always been very regular, but for a
      while now her bowel movements have an acidic quality to them, they
      smell acidic, and can get kind of loose, but not quite diarrhea, now
      for the last couple of weeks she has been passing undigested food and
      has a red tint in her bowel movements, she never strains to pass her
      movements, but has always had an irritated area there, which I have
      kind of chalked up to the acidity. I took her off her vitamins Biotin
      and Thiamine, about a month ago because they seemed to be causing her
      lower abdominal pain, and since I took her off the pain has gone
      away. So, I don't think it's the vitamins doing it. I am looking for
      anyone who may have an idea of what this could be, as I am finding you
      all with your collective experience know more than most doctors and I
      don't want it shrugged off if it is something serious, when I talk to
      the doctor, it has just gotten to the point where it is not correcting
      itself and I think I should address it. You know the feeling, where
      you don't want to find something else wrong!
    • VisibleWorship@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        I know this sounds elementary so you have probably already thought of this...

        I know tomatoes can do that...and they are acidic.  What about strawberries?

        Another thought could it be a food allergy?

        Andrew had different poop issues I had to discuss here...so I understand!

        deb...mom to four fab adopted kiddos...Andrew (07.04.96-05.26.03) with Mitochondrial Encephalomyopathy, Complex I and IV, I+III, II+III...Gaige, 6, with High Functioning Autism, Hypoglycemia and Precocious Puberty...Bliss, 4, with VERY mild Cerebral Palsy...and True (born 01.18.05) with Neuromotor Disorder, Myoclonus, GERD, Food Allergies, Plagiocephaly and Dysphagia, to name a few....Married for 12 years to Fred--one swell guy! www.caringbridge.org/tn/wells/ www.LifeofLoveProject.org
      • iluvdizney2@adelphia.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
          when this was happening to my older son, we had to stop dairy and let his stomach rest. It wasnt that he ate wrong things, it was more the fact he was "dumping" but not in a bad way..wasnt running out of him, but was moving faster than it should. dairy actually caused it to go faster with him, so by backing off dairy, we were able to get things back to normal.....may not be your problem, but it was ours.

          Donna
          mito mom to 5 mito kids.

          ---- VisibleWorship@... wrote:
          > I know this sounds elementary so you have probably already thought of this...
          >
          > I know tomatoes can do that...and they are acidic. What about strawberries?
          >

          > Another thought could it be a food allergy?
          >
          > Andrew had different poop issues I had to discuss here...so I understand!
          >

          > deb...mom to four fab adopted kiddos...Andrew (07.04.96-05.26.03) with
          > Mitochondrial Encephalomyopathy, Complex I and IV, I+III, II+III...Gaige, 6, with
          > High Functioning Autism, Hypoglycemia and Precocious Puberty...Bliss, 4, with
          > VERY mild Cerebral Palsy...and True (born 01.18.05) with Neuromotor
          > Disorder, Myoclonus, GERD, Food Allergies, Plagiocephaly and Dysphagia, to name a
          > few....Married for 12 years to Fred--one swell guy!_
          > www.caringbridge.org/tn/wells/_ (http://www.caringbridge.org/tn/wells/) _ www.LifeofLoveProject.org_
          > (http://www.lifeofloveproject.org/)
        • ikeleclaire
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
            Yes, she hasn't really had those things consistently every day like
            her bowel movements. I just read that swallowing saliva can cause
            acidity in bowel movements, she has been having alot of drooling in
            the last few months and she is always swallowing saliva. I am pretty
            sure that the red I am seeing is blood in her stool, probobly from
            internal bleeding from a hemerhoid or something, she doesn't have any
            externally, because sometimes it is consistently throughout the stool
            but just in parts of it. My oldest daughter had the same kind of
            tint thing when she was a baby and the doc at the time said that's
            what is was from. It just seems strange to me with the acidity and
            the not digesting things, bleeding, all combined.

            --- In Mito@yahoogroups.com, VisibleWorship@a... wrote:
            > I know this sounds elementary so you have probably already thought
            of this...

            > I know tomatoes can do that...and they are acidic. What about
            strawberries?

            > Another thought could it be a food allergy?
            >
            > Andrew had different poop issues I had to discuss here...so I
            understand!

            > deb...mom to four fab adopted kiddos...Andrew (07.04.96-05.26.03)
            with
            > Mitochondrial Encephalomyopathy, Complex I and IV, I+III,
            II+III...Gaige, 6, with
            > High Functioning Autism, Hypoglycemia and Precocious
            Puberty...Bliss, 4, with
            > VERY mild Cerebral Palsy...and True (born 01.18.05) with
            Neuromotor
            > Disorder, Myoclonus, GERD, Food Allergies, Plagiocephaly and
            Dysphagia, to name a
            > few....Married for 12 years to Fred--one swell guy!_
            > www.caringbridge.org/tn/wells/_
            (http://www.caringbridge.org/tn/wells/) _ www.LifeofLoveProject.org_
            > (http://www.lifeofloveproject.org/)
          • Meagan
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
              I've always been told that if there is blood streaked in the stool it can be from a fissure (a tiny tear) at the opening to the rectum or like you said maybe a hemrhoid.  If she's not straining though I can't imagine why she would have either of those so it could be more of an irritation issue.  If it is serious internal bleeding the stool is usually very dark black and tarry.  I know sometimes I will see undigested food in Sophie's bm's and I think it's just that some foods don't really digest well.

              Boy we're not gonna have anything to talk about by the time we get the nursing home when we're old.  We're gonna exhaust our poop conversations at a young age on our kids!

              ikeleclaire <aleclaire@...> wrote:
              Yes, she hasn't really had those things consistently every day like
              her bowel movements. I just read that swallowing saliva can cause
              acidity in bowel movements, she has been having alot of drooling in
              the last few months and she is always swallowing saliva. I am pretty
              sure that the red I am seeing is blood in her stool, probobly from
              internal bleeding from a hemerhoid or something, she doesn't have any
              externally, because sometimes it is consistently throughout the stool
              but just in parts of it. My oldest daughter had the same kind of
              tint thing when she was a baby and the doc at the time said that's
              what is was from. It just seems strange to me with the acidity and
              the not digesting things, bleeding, all combined.

              --- In Mito@yahoogroups.com, VisibleWorship@a... wrote:
              > I know this sounds elementary so you have probably already thought
              of this...

              > I know tomatoes can do that...and they are acidic. What about
              strawberries?

              > Another thought could it be a food allergy?
              >
              > Andrew had different poop issues I had to discuss here...so I
              understand!

              > deb...mom to four fab adopted kiddos...Andrew (07.04.96-05.26.03)
              with
              > Mitochondrial Encephalomyopathy, Complex I and IV, I+III,
              II+III...Gaige, 6, with
              > High Functioning Autism, Hypoglycemia and Precocious
              Puberty...Bliss, 4, with
              > VERY mild Cerebral Palsy...and True (born 01.18.05) with
              Neuromotor
              > Disorder, Myoclonus, GERD, Food Allergies, Plagiocephaly and
              Dysphagia, to name a
              > few....Married for 12 years to Fred--one swell guy!_
              > www.caringbridge.org/tn/wells/_
              (http://www.caringbridge.org/tn/wells/) _ www.LifeofLoveProject.org_
              > (http://www.lifeofloveproject.org/)

              Ever feel sad or cry for no reason at all? Depression. Narrated by Kate Hudson.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/rL1caD/ubOLAA/xGEGAA/6xSolB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Meagan, Mom to Sophia, 16 months, Complex I, III, IV deficiency, hypotonia, GERD, partial g-tube fed, poss seizures, ataxia, migraines, SID, VUR, gross motor skills delays, #1 fan of Winnie the Pooh www.caringbridge.org/ky/sophiesong

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • iluvdizney2@adelphia.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                meagan..thank you for the GIGGLE! That was cute....

                Donna
                mito mom to 5 mito kids

                ---- Meagan <tooge01@...> wrote:
                > I've always been told that if there is blood streaked in the stool it can be from a fissure (a tiny tear) at the opening to the rectum or like you said maybe a hemrhoid. If she's not straining though I can't imagine why she would have either of those so it could be more of an irritation issue. If it is serious internal bleeding the stool is usually very dark black and tarry. I know sometimes I will see undigested food in Sophie's bm's and I think it's just that some foods don't really digest well.
                >
                > Boy we're not gonna have anything to talk about by the time we get the nursing home when we're old. We're gonna exhaust our poop conversations at a young age on our kids!
                >
                > ikeleclaire <aleclaire@...> wrote:
                > Yes, she hasn't really had those things consistently every day like
                > her bowel movements. I just read that swallowing saliva can cause
                > acidity in bowel movements, she has been having alot of drooling in
                > the last few months and she is always swallowing saliva. I am pretty
                > sure that the red I am seeing is blood in her stool, probobly from
                > internal bleeding from a hemerhoid or something, she doesn't have any
                > externally, because sometimes it is consistently throughout the stool
                > but just in parts of it. My oldest daughter had the same kind of
                > tint thing when she was a baby and the doc at the time said that's
                > what is was from. It just seems strange to me with the acidity and
                > the not digesting things, bleeding, all combined.
                >
                > --- In Mito@yahoogroups.com, VisibleWorship@a... wrote:
                > > I know this sounds elementary so you have probably already thought
                > of this...
                > >
                > > I know tomatoes can do that...and they are acidic. What about
                > strawberries?
                > >

                > > Another thought could it be a food allergy?
                > >
                > > Andrew had different poop issues I had to discuss here...so I
                > understand!
                > >

                > > deb...mom to four fab adopted kiddos...Andrew (07.04.96-05.26.03)
                > with
                > > Mitochondrial Encephalomyopathy, Complex I and IV, I+III,
                > II+III...Gaige, 6, with
                > > High Functioning Autism, Hypoglycemia and Precocious
                > Puberty...Bliss, 4, with
                > > VERY mild Cerebral Palsy...and True (born 01.18.05) with
                > Neuromotor
                > > Disorder, Myoclonus, GERD, Food Allergies, Plagiocephaly and
                > Dysphagia, to name a
                > > few....Married for 12 years to Fred--one swell guy!_
                > > www.caringbridge.org/tn/wells/_
                > (http://www.caringbridge.org/tn/wells/) _ www.LifeofLoveProject.org_
                > > (http://www.lifeofloveproject.org/)
                >

                > Please contact mito-owner@yahoogroups.com with any problems or questions.
                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > Meagan, Mom to Sophia, 16 months, Complex I, III, IV deficiency, hypotonia, GERD, partial g-tube fed, poss seizures, ataxia, migraines, SID, VUR, gross motor skills delays, #1 fan of Winnie the Pooh www.caringbridge.org/ky/sophiesong

                > http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Laura
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Ask your pediatrician for a hemacult card. They can test it for blood. Ask them for a hat in
                  which your daughter can go potty. You can spread a small amount of the poop on the card
                  and the office can test it for blood.

                  Laura

                  Mom to the two best kids in the world!
                  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/thomasandkatie
                • Laura
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
                    Red blood in stool can be serious. Black or coffee ground blood in the stool usually indicates
                    blood in the stomach. Dark red or maroon in the stool usually indicates upper colon blood.
                    Bright red (like you'd see from a cut on your arm) usually indicates rectal bleeding. These
                    may or may not be from tears.

                    You can't know if they're serious or not without scoping someone (unless you could feel
                    hemorrhoids in a digital exam and get blood). If there is bleeding, you NEED a colonoscopy.
                    This is a serious thing and you should call the doc IMMEDIATELY.