excessive exercise with mito

  • Rebecca
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
       I have a problem with one of my kids. His coach doesn't understand he has limitations. He sees that my son can do exercises sometimes, and then other times he's so weak he can hardly walk, so I can understand how it seems like he's faking to get out of doing the "not-so-fun" exercise stuff while he's going full-force for the sport itself, because his coach doesn't understand mito. My kid is really hard-headed and he won't stop even when he's in pain. I have tried to explain this to the coach, but he doesn't get it. My son doesn't want to quit, he loves it more than anything, but it's getting to the point where he is even ridiculed when he cries, which after hours- and I mean literally hours- of exercise he starts crying from muscle pain, and he is told to "suck it up". Last week they excercised for five hours without any breaks, and my son collapsed. I wasn't there to stop this, I had dropped him off for practice, and I didn't know that this was going on until I went to pick him up. It was so bad that there was two healthy kids that had thrown up from this excessive workout. I want him to stop, and I'm really worried about what this is doing to his health, but he would be crushed if I made him quit. Is there anything published online or anywhere that I could print out that describes how excessive exercise is dangerous for mito kids? If I had something to give his coach, I'm sure that he would excuse my kid from this excessive exercising that's making him so sick, I think he believes that I'm just trying to help my kid get out of doing exercises that the other kids have to do, he thinks we use his mito as an excuse for special treatment. If he only knew.
       Becca

      Yahoo! Sports
    • Becca Loscar
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
        I know I am new here but I can be mouthy when it comes to my kid so I will tell you what I have already done re: people like this.  I printed out the Facts about MM article from the MDA website and gave it to Jennifers teacher at school and I told her that the next time I had heard that she had not followed my instructions re J. activities at school that I would call her that evening and let her listen to J screaming and crying from the pain that came as a result of her neglect to care for my child properly.  Then if it happened a second time that charges would be considered for child endangerment and neglect re the care of my child.  I havent had a problem since. I tell people , "You can mess with me all you want but you mess with my kid and there's gonna be trouble!!!".
        Becca
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
          First of all that coach should not have a job working with kids, if he
          has that type of workout ethic. No child, ever, should be worked out
          until they vomit. Extreme excercise on a growing body can cause more
          harm than good. Obviously I'm not stating that a child should not
          exercise, but the body has it's limitations.
          I believe there is some info about exercise and mito on the umdf
          website. Also you could meet with your childs doctor. Your son, you
          and the doctor can come together to make an exercise plan you all can
          be happy with. Then the doctor could put this in writing, that the
          coach must follow. Another option (if financially able) would be to
          not use the schools equiptment and exercise regimine and go to a gym,
          with a personal trainer. Explain to the coach, that he is indeed
          working out, but with a personal trainer that can better fit his needs
          and goals.
          Best wishes
          Carrie
        • Rebecca
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
            That wouldn't help with our situation. My kid is not a child, he's an adult. I actually pay a very hefty fee for this "torture", and there's nothing legally I could do for the excessive exercise forced on him besides making him quit. This is a professional coach, he's not mean, he's tough, and he's just doing his job of making professional athletes out of these kids. My kids are all grown, and I am raising my infant grandson with my oldest daughter. We all have mito, and my daughter also has cancer. My son wants a career in this, and it would break his heart if he had to stop. He's been working so hard at it for a year now and he's really good, but the exercising for hours is killing him.
             Becca

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
                I am not sure if this will work, but we gave the school for my 12 yr old son just info on mito in general.  I cannot remember where we got the info or what specifically we gave them but I know I made sure it said exercise intolerance.

                You might want to also send a letter from his doctor and have a talk with his coach about the consequences of lactic acid build up--ie seizures and other problems.  My son when he was in 4th grade (2 yrs ago) was playing volleyball in gym when the other kids told the teacher something was wrong with him.  He was taken to the office and the police liason officer said his tongue was swellon.  He drank much water before I arrived--the emt's were called but then he started to be better.  When I arrived he drank 20 oz bottles of gatorade we had in the car on the way up to the emergency clinic 1/2 hr away.

                Anyway, the doc who saw him talked with our mito doc in Milwaukee and it was determined that he had metabolic metadosis--probably high lactic acid.

                My son also has a problem with running and the new school district we started in September they run around the gym every other day.  I had to call the gym teacher up and talk to her about if he wants to walk he should be able to.  Like your son, he will not stop on his own--fortunately the gym teacher told me she had to tell him to walk a couple of times when she noticed him having a hard time trying to run and trying to breath.  Of course I learned this thru her, not my son.

                Good luck with the coach--when I read your problem I just want to go and tell that coach off.  My husband is always telling my son to "tough it out" when it comes to doing stuff outside in hot weather and stuff.  That is until the episode at school.

                Good luck

                Janet Sample