wierd blood sugars

  • VisibleWorship@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hey there

      I know Gaige isn't a mito kid but some of you guys who are dealing with this can help me I think.  Actually he's being tested for MCAD and some FOD's that fall under the Mito umbrella...wouldn't that be weird to have two unrelated kids in the umbrella?  freaks me out a little, to be honest...

      On May 12th, Gaige got up to go to the bathroom and was found laying on the floor...we couldn't get him up.  This kids is NEVER still, so even though at first I thought he was faking, it turned out he wasn't.  Because of his autism, he doesn't have great body awareness and so I couldn't get anything out of him.  We decided to call an ambulance and all his vitals were fine.  When we got on the bus, they checked his sugar and it was 45!!!  I never had a clue he was having any problems.

      They admitted him...we called our geneticist from the ER and told her about it...she has been trying to figure him out for two years...but I thought sugar and autism might be a big clue, so she ordered a slew of labs including the FODs, Glycogen Storage disorders and Carnitine profiles...oh yeah, and Organic and Amino Acids.  We already had an appt for this Friday so we are hoping all the testing will be in by then.

      It was the worst admission we have ever had...we go to a teaching hospital so you are assigned a residents team...ours was beyond clueless and wanted to wait for the geneticist to make all the calls, but never called to tell her he was admitted!  Our four month old was visiting Gaige (who is 6) and were laying in bed together.  The Senior resident on our case came in and started examining the baby...that's pretty much how the whole thing went.

      They kept Gaige on D5 until about 18 hours before we were discharged and then finally started checking his sugar again.  He got in the 70s at first but in the middle of the night had a 181, which I asked about but was told by the resident not to worry about.  I had to insist on a home accucheck b/c Gaige can't tell me when he feels bad (it will take a lot of training with social stories before he can FEEL it) and I had no idea if it was happening a lot of not.

      Sorry this is so long...Anyway, it only went really low one other time...a couple days after we got home it was 45 and then I checked again b/c he was bouncing off the walls and I thought something must be off and it was 36.

      I started studying it and then True (the baby) had to have emergency surgery so I am just now studying it again.  Several times in the past few days, he has had high numbers after sleeping and fasting all night...like 149, 161  and 216!!!!  They diagnosed him with Hypoglycemia which means it should be low in the mornings.  After he eats it goes down to the 70s, which I know is normal but on the low side.  Its like it goes up at night and then when we feed him it stabilizes and he is pretty good at maintaining it during the day, but he eats like a horse.  (He is extremely hyper and has lost 5-10 pounds in the past year, despite advancing in height.)

      So anyone have any ideas?  I called the on-call pedi last night b/c I left a msg yesterday morning and no one ever called back.  She is going to insist Endocrine fit us in sooner (we only have One pedi endoc in town...a town the size of memphis) bc she didn't know why it would be doing that either.  I feel like they just totally left us out to dry with no information,  Help????

      mom to Andrew (07.04.96-05.26.03) with Mitochondrial disease, complex I and IV....Gaige, 6, with High Functioning Autism, possibly Neurofibromatosis 1...Bliss, 4, with very very mild cerebral palsy ...True, born 01.18.05, with GERD, Plagiocephaly and Neuromotor Disorder... married to one swell man!
      www.caringbridge.org/tn/wells

    • Angels4hailee@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
        hailee doesss that with her sugars also, she can run at 20 and still bounce off the walls.. she has endocrine issues that result to her sugar issues.. sometimes it can be symptoms of diabities..(sp) to tired to type sorry..

        Melissa
      • ilikemonstertrucks
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
          Brandon and I both do that with our sugars... Brandon has been as
          low as 42 and as high as 220 inside the same 3 hours...
          all I know about hypoglycemia is there are 2 types, fasting, and
          reactive... fasting means low numbers in the morning after not
          eating... its the worse kind...
          reactive means after you eat your levels plummet... basically your
          body reacts to the sugar you eat, and releases too much insulin all
          at once, resulting in temporary low sugar... this is really more
          common than we realise, and generally harmless...
          gaige doesnt sound like he fits comfortably into either... (starting
          to get used to not fitting into a ny molds?) so i dont know what to
          tell you....
          the only thing that keeps BRandon stable is to snack all day, and
          keep a sippy cup of milk in bed at night... we can hear him get up
          and drink through the night...
          hope the endo can tell you more! sounds like a nerve racking week!
          Keely

          (http://www.caringbridge.org/tn/wells)
        • Meagan Ochsner
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
            I don't have any real advice about the blood sugar.  I can just draw from a good friend of mine who is insulin dependent diabetic.  Her sugar would drop real low with lots of activity or stress and of course would get better with some juice, peanut butter etc.  She has an insulin pump and she told me that if her pump runs out of insulin in the night and she doesn't hear it alarm when she gets up in the morning her sugars will be 400- 500.  Will they be checking him for diabetes or have they already ruled that out?  It's just a thought.

            How is True?  What type of surgery did he have to have?

            VisibleWorship@... wrote:
[...]

            Please contact mito-owner@yahoogroups.com with any problems or questions.

            Meagan, Mom to Sophia, 13 months, Complex I, III, IV deficiency, hypotonia, GERD, partial g-tube fed, simple partial seizures, ataxia, migraines, developmental delays, #1 fan of Winnie the Pooh (aka bear-bear)

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • karen brubaker
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
              Hi Deb,
              Did they check his liver and pancreas function too?  Probably, the reason I ask is that when Justin started having the episodes of hypoglycemia his liver enzymes would be through the roof but after a while they came back to normal.  Do they have you check for ketones?  Justin would develop the ketones like a diabetic before he would crash, they would make him ill and then he wouldn't eat and then hiss sugars would drop pretty low.  First time he was seen for it his sugars were at 3. They never got that low again but they would go down into the 30-50 range.  He has not had much of a problem for the last couple of years.  I hope you can get him in to the endocrine doc soon.  Maybe it can be managed through diet.

              I'll be praying for Gaige and your family,

              Karen
              P.S. I have some thing I wanted to ask you but not something I am ready to share with everyone else yet can I e mail you personally?

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
                In a message dated 6/1/2005 11:36:13 A.M. Central Standard Time, tooge01@... writes:
                How is True?  What type of surgery did he have to have?
                they didn't even do a HgbA1c...how hard is that?  arrgghh~!

                True had a birth defect we found on accident, but I will claim it as a miracle!  Usually isn't found until there is an obstruction and at that point the intestines start to die and sometimes the kids do too.  Its called a malrotation of the short bowel.  He has to have a fundoplication this month too...poor guy!

                With the malrotation surgery...they took out his appendics, moved his colon to the opposite side, then took the intestines out and put them back in...crazy!  He's doing well with it.  He got C-diff while we were in and I think that has been harder on him.

                He has surgery on the 20th and has a fever today with no symptoms...am hoping he didn't aspirate...

                deb...mom to four great kids and wife to one amazing guy!
                www.caringbridge.org/tn/wells/ www.LifeofLoveProject.org
                www.debwells.com
              • Meagan Ochsner
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
                  Deb,

                  What a tough surgery for a baby!  I hope the fever goes away and he continues to heal quickly from such a big operation.  I will continue to pray for him and hope that the fundoplication goes well also.

                  VisibleWorship@... wrote:
[...]

                  Discover Yahoo!

                • lennieismine
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
                    Hi, I have 2 Diabetic kids and can explain some of this. With
                    Hypoglycemia your pancreas usually overreacts to carb intake and
                    your blood sugars swing wildly. When he eats, the pancreas over
                    reacts and produces too much insulin and then the blood sugar goes
                    too low. When your blood sugar gets too low, your liver will dump
                    its stored glucose to protect you and then it gets too high. Then
                    the pancreas will produce more insulin and the cycle continues. My
                    best guess is that he is actually going low during the night with no
                    food intake and his liver is dumping glucose as a reaction and that
                    is why his numbers are high in the morning. These kids do best with
                    smaller meals and small snacks in between and when protein is eaten
                    with the carbohydrates to slow the absorption. Then the blood sugar
                    doesn't swing so much. You might want to check his sugar during the
                    night a couple of times to see what it is doing. A snack in the
                    night might be needed or one of the special snack bars for diabetics
                    that have cornstarch in them might be good at bedtime because they
                    are digested slowly during the night. The hospital should have had
                    an Endocrinologist see him before discharge. They also have special
                    watches that kids can wear that will alarm when blood sugars get out
                    of the ranges that you set it for. They are expensive but it would
                    make your life alot easier if he will wear it. Otherwise my I
                    notice that my kids look paler when their blood sugar is low.
                    Sometimes I see it before they feel it. You can email me if you
                    need more info. Leslie