Re: Re: AFOs

  • Anne K Juhlmann
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2005
      It has seemed to me that different parts of the country refer to these braces with dfferent acronyms. We have always been told that:
      Hotdogs or something similar are the shoe inserts
      SMO's are the braces that just go to the ankle
      AFO's are the braces that go to just below the knee (can be hinged or not)
      DAFOs are the braces that go up further than the knee

      Who knows?  Z and S have braces that go to below the knee which we call AFOs

      Funny how different terms are used by different orthotists and physical therapists.

      Anne J
    • bridgmanco
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2005
        Kristine,
        Billy had AFOs for a while. They were supposed to help support his
        ankles and basically make the foot/leg into one unit. (Couldn't wear
        them for long as his feet kept turning in anyway and they caused wear
        spots and sores. They adjusted as much as they could and then said he
        would have to have surgery)
        You can buy a shoe usually from the same place you get the AFO's that
        don't have a left or right orientation. This was the easiest to put
        on. Otherwise a slightly larger shoe which opens up very wide. We
        also used knee high socks that we got from the mountain man/black
        powder get togethers. If you use a regular cotton crew sock the AFO
        fits too tight. When they make the cast for the foot that the AFO is
        made from you can get a look at how thick the "sock" is. You can't go
        much thicker than that.
        Good luck with it.
        Twana

        --- In Mito@yahoogroups.com, "Kristine" <mama4jesus@c...> wrote:
        AFOs
        > Also, will I need to buy him a pair of shoes that is one size larger
        than normal?
      • Laura
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2005
          > DAFOs are the braces that go up further than the knee

          DAFO is a brand name=Dynamic Ankle Foot Orthotic

          Laura
        • Darla Klein
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 2, 2005
            Sorry I caused confusion there. I seem to remember Asenath's being called
            DAFO's, but they only went up to the knee so I guess I was either
            misinformed or not hearing correctly for two years. They must have been
            AFO's before and she must have SMO's now. ???!

            See www.caringbridge.org/ia/mitomomof9 and this link to see a real look into
            Mito using a photo collage of my girls at www.heartbeatsformito.org
            Darla: mommy to
            Asenath (4) Mito, CNS Vasculitis, strokes, migraines, seizures, G-tube,
            hypotonicity, disautonomy, SID, dev. delays, asthma, cyclic vomiting...
            Zipporrah (12 months) Mito, strokes, neuro-motor planning dysfunction, SID,
            GERD, 100% G-tube fed, asthma, trach issues, aberrant subclavian artery,
            disautonomy, hypo & hypertonicity, migraines, possible seizures, dumping
            syndrome, iron deficiency...
            Luke (16), Leah (14), Rachael (12), Isaac (10), Tirzah (8), Kezia (3), &
            Marquis (2) (some with Mito symptoms)

            > > DAFOs are the braces that go up further than the knee
            >
            > DAFO is a brand name=Dynamic Ankle Foot Orthotic
            >
            > Laura
            >

            > Please contact mito-owner@yahoogroups.com with any problems or questions.
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • AM L
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 2, 2005
              Hi there Darla,
              Joe uses DAFO's (which go to just below his knees)  and
              SMO's (which only go just above the ankles)  these
              are the cascade brand.  I don't know if different brand
              brace makers call them something different.  I think you
              were correct if that is what you are using on your kids.
              Hope this helps.
              AnnMarie L. - Complex IV
              Married to my best friend Rick,
              Mom of Keith (15), Brian (12), Cassandra (6) and
              Joe (5) - complex IV, lactic acidosis, CP,
              tethered chord syndrome, dysautonomia, and
              a smile that never quits :-)

              Mito using a photo collage of my girls at www.heartbeatsformito.org
              Darla

              > > DAFOs are the braces that go up further than the knee
              >
              > DAFO is a brand name=Dynamic Ankle Foot Orthotic
              >
              > Laura

            • Brian Sorensen
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 2, 2005
                Hi Kristine:

                My daughter, Leah, uses AFO's.  They go up around the back of her leg.  It is a hard piece of plastic and it supports her ankles so they don't turn out.  She doesn't walk at all, but we use them at school to support her legs better and ankles so she doesn't have to work to much in standing.  Yes, you take the AFO's with you to try on shoes.  They suggest a wider shoe and also bigger shoe.  Because you take out the insole so the AFO fits better.  And we use knee socks with Leah's AFO's so they can turn down at the top and offer a little more comfort for her legs.  We find they help her a lot even though she doesn't walk.

                Lisa Nerenhausen
                mom to Leah

                Kristine wrote:
                Could someone please give me a brief explanation about how AFOs work? My 6yr old son will get his next week. I have heard of them as being a "muscle on the outside" of the leg to give them a little extra support.
                Also, will I need to buy him a pair of shoes that is one size larger than normal?
                Thanks for your help.
                Kristine *Ü*

                Please contact mito-owner@yahoogroups.com with any problems or questions.

                This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm

              • Kimberley Kretzmer
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 3, 2005
                  Hi,
                  I wanted to add here.. that DAFO is a name brand...
                  and they have all different kinds.. we still use DAFOs
                  but they come only to the ankle on our son. Although
                  his last DAFO came to the knee. So they do have all
                  different kinds. Here is their web site
                  http://www.dafo.com/
                  I know our friends have MAFOs and not DAFOS and the
                  only difference we see in the two are that the DAFOs
                  seem to wrap around the foot more and are made from a
                  cast her MAFOs are made right there while she waits.
                  Kimberley

                  http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com