Re: [Mito] Use of melatonin in toddlers/children, results??

  • Kris & Matt Kovalcik
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 30, 2004
      Hi there,

      We started our daughter, Ellie, on Melatonin about 2 months ago.  It has really helped her to calm down before bedtime...although we have noticed that if she isn't in bed within about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes of taking it she will have a meltdown and it is as if she hasn't had it at all.  Hope this helps!?!

      KK
      Mom to Ellie, 3 years old, Complex IV

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004

        I remember that Grace and Zoe are very close in age.  We were told to split the pill in half first, to see if that dose worked.  It did not.  Now we use the full pill (I think it is 3mg).  The melatonin does help her fall asleep, but does not maintain sleep.  We also are using 4mg of Periactin at night, wich really seems to help.  Thankfully she only has spells of sleeplessness, so we use the Melatonin as needed.  We use the Periactin for a ton of stuff so that is daily.

        Best wishes, happy dreams

        Carrie

        Rock, jazz, country, soul & more. Find the music you love on MSN Music!
      • Loriann Melby
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
          Suzanne,
          Not sure why. I was told either your kids get it or
          they don't. One of my 12 year old sons, Kyle finally
          outgrew it at 8 yrs. of age. He has many allergies
          especially to antibiotics. Despite his frequent
          occurences he never required care in the ER. His twin
          got croup but not quite as often and had to visit ER
          once. Lucas had it so severe he was hospitalized for
          two days sent home for one night and returned for
          another two days. Fortunately he has not had it for
          over a year and a half so maybe he outgrew it,too.
          All of my children are on allergy medications and Kyle
          and Lucas have been diagnosed with borderline asthma.
          They seem to get hoarse and wheezy at times but
          usually overcome it on their own without treatment.
          HTH, Loriann
          --- Embroidery Journal <suzanne@...>

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/6xSolB/TM

          > Please contact mito-owner@yahoogroups.com with any
          > problems or questions.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12cartv2f/M=296572.5585671.6651487.3001176/D=gr

          phealth/S=1705061498:HM/EXP=1101960022/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12iqklahr/*http:/cl

          k.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1101873622850858>

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12cartv2f/M=296572.5585671.6651487.3001176/D=gr

          phealth/S=1705061498:HM/EXP=1101960022/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12iqklahr/*http:/cl

          <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=11018736

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=296572.5585671.6651487.3001176/D=grphealth
          > /S=:HM/A=2343726/rand=855776547>
          >

          > _____
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          === message truncated ===
        • Stacey Fleming
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2004
            Croup (Was: Re: [Mito] FOR LORIANN)
            Sheldon often gets croup too, especially when he's coming down with something.

            (Hope you don't mind me getting in on this conversation.)

            I have been trying to figure out why my kids get croup ALL THE TIME and none of my other friends kids do- what is the link? Any ideas?

            Suzanne M. Perryman

            The article back in Sept. of 2003 stated that
            "Elevated Melatonin Levels May Worsen Nocturnal
            Asthma".  It said that "melatonin enhances
            inflammation in asthma".  I believe that the most
            recent articles state that melatonin can help with
            sleep for asthmatics. We just monitored Lucas and he
            seemed to do okay with it.  He had had frequent bouts
            of croup in the past prior to melatonin use.  The lack
            of staying asleep and an increased level of discomfort
            (possible abdominal pain) was what caused us to switch
            off of melatonin and on to amitriptyline.  What has
            also been uncovered is that Lucas was diagnosed with a

            --

            ----------
            Stacey Fleming
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 3, 2004
              Stacey,
              How old is Sheldon? Has he outgrown croup yet? Lucas
              must have had it more than a dozen times and was
              actually in ER three times because of it. Once he was
              almost intubated he was struggling to breathe so bad
              and we spent 2 days as an inpatient, went home for one
              night only to return for 2 more days. He acted like a
              child that had swallowed a foreign object. (They
              actually did a bronchoscopy on him only to get a
              diagnosis of croup and asthma). That same ER visit
              they almost sent us home. They asked me if I wanted
              him to have a breathing treatment and then I needed to
              wait 3 hours to see how he did or not have the
              treatment and instead come back if he developed
              further problems. They gave him a treatment and 2 1/2
              hours later he began to have severe breathing
              difficulty and they ended up admitting him. He also
              had croup when we were on vacation at Disney World.
              We think it was triggered by not having a nonsmoking
              room which we requested. My husband and I took turns
              sleeping on a lounge chair holding him outside since
              it was humid enough to help his symptoms (fortunately
              we did not need to find the nearest hospital).
              I believe Lucas hypotonia contributed to his frequent
              episodes of croup. I also believe smoke and allergies
              are a big trigger also.
              Loriann