Re: School Wowes & Jacob update

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 1999
      Laurie, they have special tested him and he is labeled learning disabled and
      he is in special classes, BUT I feel there must be other tests and more
      special help he could be given. Perhaps I need to ask for another IEP
      meeting and go over his IEP and have things added like special help for his
      CAPD as in speakers, etc. Thanks for your input. I'm thinking, thinking,
      thinking. Linda S.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 1999
        Linda-

        The law says that a school district must evaluate a student for a suspected disability if the parent
        requests it. In our school district, and they all do things a little differently, our psychologists
        usually start with the WISC-R to evaluate ability and the Woodcock Johnson to evaluate acedemic skills.
        If the student meets the criteria as a special education student (mentally impaired, learning disabled,
        etc.) then the student is certified or labeled for special education services. Once the testing is
        completed, an IEP is called. If testing has been done, you should receive a copy of the report. Our
        psychologists give other tests depending on what the first two tests show and what they are trained to
        give. Some psychologists prefer certain tests over others. School districts in this area are unable to
        give neuropsych testing or CAPD testing, but can suggest that their might be a need for more extensive
        evaluations. In certain circumstances, the school district has to pay for these tests, but not all the
        time. In our district, a student with confirmed CAPD is labeled as learning diabled and given the most
        appropriate services for that specific student.

        Laurie

        > Laurie, What kind of testing are you talking about? When I told the school
        > that the Montessori school suggested I ask for cognitive testing they said
        > they have done this test and that and it is all the tests they have and have
        > helped him all they can. Does anyone have any specific tests I can go back
        > and ask for/demand they do?
      • Laurie
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 1999
          Linda-

          Asking for another IEP is the way to go. They can only give him what is written in the IEP. Speakers
          might help if he has CAPD. He also needs to know that he will not make a years gain in a year in all
          areas - especially in the area he is certified in. If it is a processing disorder and reading is a
          problem, ask them about the Orton Gillingham method of teaching reading. Since a teacher should not be
          using this without training, you might want to ask that someone be trained if no one is.

          Good luck,
          Laurie