Re: [Mito] degeneration of tooth roots...

  • michsull@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
      In a message dated 02/01/2001 1:42:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      ivpusher@... writes:

      << I have a question for all of you mito parents...has anyone had any
      problems with their mito kids' teeth? Specifically, "pathologic
      degeneration of the roots >>
      Laurie:
      I find this rather interesting as my children's teeth issues are odd. My 6
      year old (limited verbal) son's teeth have shrunk in size from grinding so
      much. His gums bleed easily now but his teeth are not loose. My 5 year old
      who is verbal tells me now that her teeth are tired when she is tired. I am
      still trying to figure that one out. I know my son's mouth is showing
      myopathy and I am wondering if my daughter's will as well.
      Michele
    • Ingvild Roald
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
        Well,
        I am not a Mito parent, but an 'oldie' with mito.
        Ever since I was little, the dentists (we moved about, hence the plural)
        said that something was wrong with my teeth, that the pores in them was too
        large, and that I probably had not gotten enough vitamin D as a foetus or as
        a baby (racitis symptoms). This could not be, as I was born during the war,
        when milk and such things were rationed in Norway, and my mother used all
        her coupons to get the neccessary milk for herself and then for me, as well
        as the cod liver oil, that was easy to get.

        A few years ago, about the same time as my mito symptoms begqn to get
        severe, one of my teeth losend, and then two others. The roots just were
        resorbed, the dentist said, puzzeled.

        I've always had many cavities, due to the large pores in the teeth.

        I don't know if this is a well known problem,

        Ingvild

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
          I too find this quite interesting. My daughter has the strangest teeth I
          have ever seen. They seem almost transparent and look very weak. In fact,
          she has already chipped one of her front teeth and it looks like another one
          is getting ready to break off. She has a big white spot on the end of the
          tooth. And she too grinds her teeth terribly. The teeth grinding concerns
          me most because it is like she has no control over it. I try to get her to
          stop and she won't or can't. She mostly does it when she is very tired and
          of course, sleeping.

          cathy b
        • Kass
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
            Hi Laurie  :-)

            We don't have the same issues, but have had problems to one extent or another with both of mine that are suspected of mito.  Chance's (7 1/2) teeth decayed when he was younger and we had to remove the top four front teeth entirely and crown almost all of the molars when he was just shy of 4....one of his main front teeth are actually coming in already, earlier than the dentists had expected it.  Madison(4) has not had problems with decay, but did have two of her teeth that took a very long time to come in (two little teeth on either side of the main front teeth)....we knew they were there from xrays, and that there was a space for them to come in, but they did not till long after they were supposed to have.  I personally have always had major problems with my teeth, since I was a child.

            BIG hugs,
            Kass

            Laurie Getskow wrote:

            Hi!

            I have a question for all of you mito parents...has anyone had any
            problems with their mito kids' teeth?  Specifically, "pathologic
            degeneration of the roots"...my son received this diagnosis today,
            and his front teeth are falling out from this.  He is only 3 years
            old (undiagnosed mito disorder...complex I deficiency) and his
            permanent teeth will not come in until permanent front teeth normally
            come in, at about 6 or 7 years old.  I am hoping someone has
            experienced something similar.  The dentist (who is outstanding, by
            the way:))  said it could be due to trauma to the front teeth, but
            I'm just curious if this is a common finding with our kids.  Any
            advice, ideas, questions are welcome!  Thanks!
            Laurie Georgeson
            Mom to Mason, 3, (novel mitochondrial disorder) and
            Riley, 6 1/2 (healthy as far as we know...)

          • Judith and Bryan Turner
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
              All of my kids do grind their teeth to some extent, but none have ever
              had a cavity or loss. Sarah (9) is most affected by the mito (complex
              III) and has great teeth. The permanent ones do not seem to be wearing
              down the way the baby teeth did, thank goodness! I think the only reason
              she didn't grind the baby teeth into total oblivion is that she slept
              with a pacifier until age 7 plus. Way cheaper than a bite plate, and
              more child friendly. <g>
              Judith
            • Brian Sorensen
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
                This is interesting about the teeth. Leah has just started to grind her teeth. She was doing it a lot,
                but now has stopped doing it as often. I notice she does it when she is working hard at something or may
                be something to do with sensory stuff. When she was early childhood play group she had not been grinding
                her teeth until we were singing and a little boy was crying and carrying on and instead of crying (like
                Leah use to do with stuff like that) she started to grind her teeth. Her dentist isn't worried right now
                and won't see her for it because her mouth is too small for a guard and he says she will outgrow it, even
                though I mentioned she is special needs and I've heard from other parents of her disability has done this
                too. Leah doesn't grind her teeth at night. So I'm also associating this with getting new teeth in as I
                believe she is getting her two year old molars. I know this topic has been discussed before. But it is
                interesting to read and learn.

                Lisa mom to Leah 2 1/2