Re: New to Group

  • Sean Durity
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 15, 2013
      In my opinion, Dr. Shoffner is much more into research than patient care. He seems to fuel that with expensive and possibly unnecessary muscle biopsy testing. It is very hard to get any follow-up appointments about basic care after diagnosis. He used to work with Dr. Kendall, but there was a falling out between them. For our money, Dr. Kendall is much more concerned with the actual patients (and parents) and not just the science of it all. For example, if some testing would not lead to a change in treatment plan, she won't push it.

      We live here in Atlanta, and we won't go see Dr. Shoffner. Just one family's opinion.

      --
      Sean Durity
      Latest blog entry: "Daddy Gotcha!"
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 15, 2013
        I agree with Sean wholeheartedly.  We had a bad experience with Shoffner as well and he is really expensive, showed us that only cares about his research and will do needless testing on your child in order to get more info for his research.  This is MY opinion. I know others who really like him.  But I would check out all your options before going forward.  There are many blood tests and buccal swab tests that are not or very slightly invasive and can give a better diagnosis than a muscle biopsy, and much cheaper.  In addition, I have been told that Children's Hopsital in Atlanta will no longer allow Shoffner to take samples or procedures with them.  I do not know why.

        Lisa

        On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Sean Durity <seandurity@...> wrote:

        In my opinion, Dr. Shoffner is much more into research than patient care. He seems to fuel that with expensive and possibly unnecessary muscle biopsy testing. It is very hard to get any follow-up appointments about basic care after diagnosis. He used to work with Dr. Kendall, but there was a falling out between them. For our money, Dr. Kendall is much more concerned with the actual patients (and parents) and not just the science of it all. For example, if some testing would not lead to a change in treatment plan, she won't push it.

        We live here in Atlanta, and we won't go see Dr. Shoffner. Just one family's opinion.

        --
        Sean Durity
        Latest blog entry: "Daddy Gotcha!"
        "We are writing these things so that our joy may be complete." 1 John 1:4

        --
        Lisa N. Higgins
        Executive Director