80's adaptation of LICC

  • heartcoronet
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2003
      Hello everyone,

      I have just joined the group and am deliriously happy that it exists.
      I have to admit that being German and born in the mid-seventies I
      hadn't heard about Nancy Mitford until I watched the recent film
      adaptation of 'Love in a Cold Climate'. Now it's become one of my
      favourite things, and as I am a student of English literature I've
      decided to write my final thesis on Nancy Mitford.
      Over the last couple of weeks I've tried to obtain as many things
      as possible connected to her and the Mitford family. Everyday a new
      book arrives - the Internet has proven to be an indispensable tool -
      is like Christmas, Easter, birtday and New Year's in one day.
      However, a few things seem to be impossible to get. 'Wigs on the
      Green' seems to be one of them. (As I read, some of you have had the
      same experience.) For my thesis it would be crucial to analyse the
      1980's adaptation of 'Love in a Cold Climate' (starring Dame Judi
      Dench). However, this seems unobtainable as well.
      If anyone should have an idea how I could lay my fingers on both
      or either of the two things I should be extremely happy and thankful.

      Cheerio,
      David.
    • Helene Remer
      Message 2 of 6 , May 14, 2003
        So happy that a member of the younger generation has found Nancy Mitford. I have "Pidgeon Pie" and "Christmas Pudding" but have never found "Wigs on the Green".
        There was a movie based on "The Blessing"-called something else in the 50's or 60's. I have to try to find the title for you. It was perfectly awful, but since you are doing a thesis, you have to have all the info. Cheers-Helene Remer-helenekr@...

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Helene Remer
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14, 2003
          The movie based on "The Blessing" was called "Count Your Blessings" and was made in 1959, with Deborah Kerr and Rossano Brazzi, playing the French Marquis. It really was awful-like a '50's sitcom.

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • SUSI Banks
          Message 4 of 6 , May 15, 2003

            Hi David

            Re that adaptation  in the 1970s with Judy Dench, it was filmed on videotape and is not all that good (in my humble opinion).  But what about trying the BBC in London and other such places?  It must exist somewhere because it was aired here (in Australia) a few years ago on TV.

            The books leave the adaptations for dead as far as I'm concerned!  There is an excellent biography of Nancy Mitford by Selina Hastings.  And the Letters of Nancy Mitford, edited by Charlotte Mosley, is also fantastic.  (For many years Nancy Mitford wrote a letter to Evelyn Waugh every single day) I'm sure they both would still be in print.

            Assume you have tried the likes of Amazon.com for "Wigs on the Green"?  What about Foyles bookshop in London?

            Also you are a very brave German being a Nancy Mitford fan - as Nancy gave Germany such a serve via her character Uncle Matthew!

            Good luck,

            SUSI

            Sydney, Australia

            >From: "heartcoronet"
            >To: MitfordNancy@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [MitfordNancy] 80's adaptation of LICC
            >Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 18:33:30 -0000
            >
            >Hello everyone,
            >
            >I have just joined the group and am deliriously happy that it exists.
            >I have to admit that being German and born in the mid-seventies I
            >hadn't heard about Nancy Mitford until I watched the recent film
            >adaptation of 'Love in a Cold Climate'. Now it's become one of my
            >favourite things, and as I am a student of English literature I've
            >decided to write my final thesis on Nancy Mitford.
            > Over the last couple of weeks I've tried to obtain as many things
            >as possible connected to her and the Mitford family. Everyday a new
            >book arrives - the Internet has proven to be an indispensable tool -
            >is like Christmas, Easter, birtday and New Year's in one day.
            > However, a few things seem to be impossible to get. 'Wigs on the
            >Green' seems to be one of them. (As I read, some of you have had the
            >same experience.) For my thesis it would be crucial to analyse the
            >1980's adaptation of 'Love in a Cold Climate' (starring Dame Judi
            >Dench). However, this seems unobtainable as well.
            > If anyone should have an idea how I could lay my fingers on both
            >or either of the two things I should be extremely happy and thankful.
            >
            >Cheerio,
            >David.

            ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. 30MB of storage on ninemsn Groups - great for sharing photos and documents. Sign up now.
          • bonnie
            Message 5 of 6 , May 17, 2003
              Hi David,
              I have a copy of a book by Jessica Miyford and it
              is called "Poison Penmanship" The Gentle Art Of
              Muckraking. Also this year on Masterpeice Theatre
              they did an adaptation of Nancy Mitford's Love In a
              cold Climate.
              Bonnie

              =====

              Bonnie from Louisiana

              The Bibliophile

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • bonnie
              Message 6 of 6 , May 17, 2003
                Hi David,
                Go to PBS.org and in Feb. of 2002 they did an
                adatation of Love In A cold Climate.
                Bonnie

                =====

                Bonnie from Louisiana