the bass ... uncle william's music

  • butalongcamebill
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2003
      hallo ...

      i am new to this group and have joined you all here because i'm
      looking for help and information...

      perhaps somebody knows ...

      i need to find out two things:

      in 'pursuit of love' music is very important to lord alconleigh and
      one of his fixations is 'basses' ... well, mitford quotes just one
      aria or song from his basses period, "Fearful the death of the diver
      must be, Walking alone in the depths of the sea" and the same piece
      of music is listened too by alan bates in the television adaptation
      (where i think it's actually "sleeping" rather than "walking") ....
      i'm very keen to find out what the song is (title author etc and if
      it's a one off song or comes from song cycle of an opera) and also
      who the singer was in the adaptation

      if anyone can help i'd be most grateful

      thank you

      chris

      PS
      the soprano listened to by alan bates in the adaptation was almost
      certainly maria callas; (i say "almost certainly" because the voice
      is so very individual and identifiable but if it is) it is a terrible
      anachronism ..... but then lord merlin arrives at fanny and linda's
      ball and excitedly tells sadie that he has seen nijinsky (presumably
      recently) which is also a bad anachronism because nijinsky danced for
      the last time in 1917 ...
      it's an invention for the adaptation that doesn't appear in the
      book ... perhaps it's meant to mean that merlin is his friend and has
      visited him at home or in hospital (the character of merlin being
      based on the arts parton lord berners this'd make sense) - but i
      doubt it - i think it's more likely a weak moment in the writing

      anyway ...
      if anyone can be a terrific hon and help with the identity of the
      song or the bass i'd be really happy :-)

      thanks again

    • Helene Remer
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2003

        The soprano mentioned in the book was Amelita Galli-Curci, a coloratura. Her dates were 1889-1963, but she was most popular in the '20's. She was unattractive to look at, hence Farve's abandoning her records and going for the male bass voice. I can't identify the song for you, as I am not acquainted with it, but one of Galli-Curci's most famous records was the aria "Cara Nome" from Rigoletto. Helene Remer

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Chris Channing
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2003
          hallo there, helene

          thanks for writing

          i thought it was odd that they didn't use a recording of galli-curci for the telly adaptation ..... but if i ever find out what that bass song is, and more important who sings it, i'll be very happy

          if i keep it in the back of my mind perhaps one day i'll hear something somewhere that'll put it all together for me

          happy reading

          chris

          The soprano mentioned in the book was Amelita Galli-Curci, a coloratura. Her dates were 1889-1963, but she was most popular in the '20's. She was unattractive to look at, hence Farve's abandoning her records and going for the male bass voice. I can't identify the song for you, as I am not acquainted with it, but one of Galli-Curci's most famous records was the aria "Cara Nome" from Rigoletto. Helene Remer

          Do you Yahoo!?

          Community email addresses:
            Post message: MitfordNancy@onelist.com
            Subscribe:    MitfordNancy-subscribe@onelist.com