Book Characters in real life (Re: Mary Lovell's biography)

  • milztoday
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2002
      Fanny Logan: based upon Wilhelmine ('Billa") Cresswell, who became
      Lady Harrod

      David Warbeck: food and health obsessions based upon Geoffrey Bowles
      (Lady Redesdale's brother)

      Louisa: sarcasm and teases based upon Nancy Mitford. The "King
      Alfred's Jewel" gift from her husband, Lord Fort William, is Pamela
      Mitford's engagement ring which Nancy (and Linda in "Pursuit")
      claim "looked like a chicken's mess"

      Jassy: "running away account" based on Jessica Mitford's own running
      away account. Jassy living in California, again is based upon Jessica.

      The Bolter: based upon Angela 'Trixie' Culme-Seymour, who was a much
      married woman and who ran away with her sister's husband, Derek
      Jackson. Jackson's first wife was Pamela Mitford.

      Fabrice: Gaston Palewski, Nancy's lover.

      Linda: easily reduced to tears based on Deborah Mitford; marriage to
      Tony Kroesig based on Diana Mitford's marriage to Bryan Guinness;
      running off with Christian based on Diana Mitford running off with
      Oswald Mosley; running off specifically with a Communist based upon
      Jessica running off with Esmond Romilly; working in a bookstore based
      on Nancy's time working in a bookstore;

      Lord Merlin: based on Lord Berners who really kept on his estate
      pigeons dyed different colors.

      Chubb fuddling: a real event at the Mitford home, Swinbrook.

      Entrenching tool: Lord Redesdale never had one, but Sir Ian Colquhoun
      supposedly had one hanging above the fireplace.

      The Lamballe woman (one of Fabrice's mistresses): the ONLY real name
      used in the book. Lamballe was a real mistress of Palewski.

      "The little houseless match" poem is an actual poem with which Nancy
      teased Deborah.
    • SUSI Banks
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2002
        Hi there

        This really is an impressive list - I will have to read that Mary Lovell
        bio.

        I thought they were going to be the (bleeding) obvious ones like, Uncle
        Matthew - Farve, Nancy's real father; Aunt Sadie, Muv - Nancy's mother, etc
        etc.

        Thanks.

        SUSI