47357Re: [mh] presence/occupancy: what person is home

  • Lieven Hollevoet
    Aug 18 2:20 PM
      Hey Jim,

      do I understand you correctly that you have the occupancy item working with only motion sensors and no door sensors? Are you then having only motion sensors pointed to the central part of the room, or do you have door-sensor-replacing-motion-sensors that only look at a small area (where the door would be located).

      I’m just trying to understand your setup to see what it would mean hardware-wise to make a comparable working motion-detector based setup in my house.

      Best regards,
       Lieven.

      Op 16-aug.-2014, om 23:15 heeft Jim Duda <jim@...> het volgende geschreven:

      Personally, I find the Occupancy/Monitor feature of Misterhouse the best feature of all!
      It takes a while to get it working properly, but once you do, it's awesome.

      In my house, the lights go on/off as you walk through the house.
      As you approach different rooms, the light go on before you get there.
      It feels as though lights are on everywhere, but they aren't.

      The tick, IMHO, is taking the time to properly position the motion sensors.

      I have found that the big ugly X10 White Motion Sensors work the best.
      I have 1 insteon sensor which works well too.

      Don't give up on it.

      The only real problem I had was with lights getting stuck on.
      This issue drove me nuts for a long.... time.
      I finally resolved it by simply adding a watch-dog timer to the Light_Item, which fixed it for good.

      Regards,

      Jim

      On 07/25/2014 02:16 PM, Kevin Robert Keegan wrote:
      So the Presence_Monitor Occupancy_Monitor modules:

      http://misterhouse.wikispaces.com/Presence_Monitor

      Do some of the code work.  I do find them rather complicated and don't use them, but apparently you can get them to work for you.

      On the hardware side I have thought about a lot of things.

      Bluetooth - seems to make sense since most people in the house carry their phone with them everywhere.  I figure I would need a couple receivers, in theory at least 4 to triangulate where people are based on the signal strengths at each of the receivers.  But due to the oddities of wireless and walls, I figure I might need more.  Obviously this gets expensive, so I was thinking about raspberry pi's, but that is still rather expensive.  I also worry about battery drain on the phone.

      Microphones - Wink/Quirky has a presence detection device that uses, among other things, a microphone to calculate a loudness over time.  It seems cheaper, less complicated, and less battery intensive.  Although I suspect it is far less accurate.

      Thermal - Cost and programming aside, this seems like the best solution.  It would actually "see" people in a room.  But we are talking something like $50 just for a thermal sensor. http://www.digikey.com/product-highlights/us/en/omron-d6t-thermal-sensor/2745 Although it does look cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2m4PmZRx-U

      Kevin

      On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Timothy Spaulding <spaulding@... <mailto:spaulding@...>> wrote:

         Hi All,____

         __ __