46944Re: [mh] Automatically reconnect after USB Insteon PLM disconnected?

  • Kevin Robert Keegan
    Mar 6, 2014
      This sounds like a very low level problem, likely down in the serial connection.

      You might want to play around with the routine serial_startup in lib/Insteon_PLM.pm.  Simply calling this routine again may fix your problem.  Or maybe you need to delve into the routine serial_port_create in the mh binary.

      If you can figure it out, you can add a watchdog process that polls the PLM at some frequency and then calls your restart routine when it doesn't respond.  Or better yet have it monitor dmesg.

      Kevin

      On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Jeff Siddall <news@...> wrote:
      I have a strange and annoying problem where the USB bus on my
      misterhouse system resets every few hours to days.  This causes all the
      USB devices to disconnect and reconnect and after that misterhouse
      cannot communicate with the PLM anymore.

      I thought this was because the device name also changed (typically
      alternating between ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1) on the reconnect but I wrote a
      udev rule that forces the name to insteon_plm and although that is
      working (the /dev/insteon_plm device is used both before and after the
      bus reset) misterhouse still cannot communicate with the PLM anymore
      after the reconnect.

      I suspect anyone could reproduce this simply by disconnecting and
      reconnecting the USB PLM.

      Does anyone have some suggestions of what can I do to get misterhouse to
      reopen the connection to the PLM if it ever loses it?

      Thanks,

      Jeff