45965Re: [mh] Is anyone running Perl Version 5.8.9?

  • H Plato
    Nov 1, 2013
      I run 5.8.8 on an old FC5 box.Everything seems to be working though…

      On Nov 1, 2013, at 5:19 PM, Kevin Robert Keegan <kevin@...> wrote:

      Interesting, well I am glad I gave up on version 5.8.9 then.  I am willing to make some effort to do backwards compatibility testing.  I am with you though, delving that deeply into an old version of perl is not my idea of a fun hobby.

      I seem to be able to quickly switch to 5.10.1 using perlbrew.  Hopefully, not too many users who run the current version of MH use perl versions older than this.

      On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Carl McGrath <cmcgrath5035@...> wrote:
      Kevin
      At the botom of this is a messaged I posted back in Late August.
      I still have the unit (an RT-N16 high end router running DD-WRT/Optware) sitting on the shelf and could run some tests, but as you can see I ran into some problems myself on that Perl 5.8.8 unit that I chose not to pursue.
      For this, and other reasons, I decided to make my upgrade target a QNAP File server, running Debian 7 and it runs the latest PERL.

      Let me know, this might be older than you want to target anyway.

      Old Post

      The genesis of this is my recent download of the new Misterhouse 3.0
      from git.
      My target platform is an RT-N16 router (MIPS architecture) running
      dd-wrt (Kernel 2.6.24.111)+ Optware.
      The Perl available with Optware is Perl 5.8.8, rather dated.
      I built this combination a year ago and ran the then current SVN version
      of MH successfully with a couple Insteon test lights.

      I'll skip some details and workarounds (email me if you want to try
      this) and say that MH 3.0 initializes normally and serves up the web
      interface.
      I can navigate some of the web interface, but when I attempt to toggle
      my test items, mh crashes with the following error message on the cli
      console:
      perl: can't resolve symbol 'PerlIO_findFILE'

      I am no Perl monk, but most of us using mh have developed some Perl
      understanding and hacking skills.
      After Googling about, I find that PerlIO_findFILE is part of "perlapio -
      perl's IO abstraction interface".
      I can’t find any specifics on when perlapio was created or introduced
      (e.g. in what version does it appear).
      I am able to run CPAN from the platform.
      A search for perlIO says that it is part of the Perl 'core' and wants to
      download, make and install Perl 5.18.
      That is a big task for a 15W cpu with a usb HDD! and I doubt the
      additional Optware Perl packages would be compatible anyway.

      I am making a quick assumption that some reworked code in the web
      interface uses PerlIO.
      In parallel with my digging into the code, I pose these questions for
      those who might have current knowledge:

      Q1: Is there a minimum level of Perl core that is assumed by mh code
      developers?
      Q2 Has anyone running mh on similar embedded platforms attempted to run
      MH3.0? If successful, what Perl do you have?
      Q3. Any other thoughts?

      Thanks!

      On 11/01/2013 06:20 PM, Kevin Robert Keegan wrote:
      I was never able to get perlbrew to run MisterHouse using perl 5.8.9.  I have successfully been able to get perl 5.10.1 to work though.  So I should be able to test my coding changes for backward compatibility at least to perl 5.10.1.

      On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 5:36 AM, Steve Switzer <steve@...> wrote:
      Nope, using the same as you:

      This is perl 5, version 14, subversion 2 (v5.14.2) built for x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi

      Best regards,
      Steve Switzer

      ---
      Get world-class business I.T. services and a phone system with awesome features that won't challenge your budget!
      http://www.SwitzerBusinessSolutions.com
      On 10/25/2013 07:51 PM, Kevin Robert Keegan wrote:
      In order to test to see if my coding is backwards compatible, I installed perlbrew and perl 5.8.9 (according to wikipedia perl 5.8 is still the most common version)

      I dealt with a lot of perlbrew hijinx.  But now I get the following error and I am stumped.  If I switch back to perl 5.14.2 everything works.

      Error in user code file /usr/local/mh/data/mh_temp.user_code

        25/10/2013 16:49:05 : Can't locate object method "new" via package "Insteon::BaseDevice" at /usr/local/mh/source/bin/../lib/Insteon/Lighting.pm line 34.
       at mh line 31
              main::__ANON__('Can\'t locate object method "new" via package "Insteon::BaseD...') called at /usr/local/mh/source/bin/../lib/Insteon/Lighting.pm line 34
              Insteon::BaseLight::new('Insteon::BaseLight', '0E.2A.3E:01', undef) called at /usr/local/mh/source/bin/../lib/Insteon/Lighting.pm line 269
              Insteon::DimmableLight::new('Insteon::DimmableLight', '0E.2A.3E:01', undef) called at /usr/local/mh/source/bin/../lib/Insteon/Lighting.pm line 948
              Insteon::KeyPadLinc::new('Insteon::KeyPadLinc', '0E.2A.3E:01') called at (eval 757) line 95
      Line 90:
      Line 91:  # List of File_Item objects
      Line 92:  use vars qw($f_weather_conditions $f_weather_forecast);
      Line 93:
      Line 94:  $PLM                                 =  new Insteon_PLM('Insteon_PLM',);
      Line 95:  $f_kt_pantry_lt_ma                   =  new Insteon::KeyPadLinc('0E.2A.3E:01', );
      Line 96:  $All_Lights                          =  new Group;
      Line 97:  $All_Lights                          -> add($f_kt_pantry_lt_ma);
      Line 98:  $Mon_Main                            =  new Group;
      Line 99:  $Mon_Main                            -> add($f_kt_pantry_lt_ma);
      Line 100:  $Mon_Downstairs                      =  new Group;
      mh rc=1
      mh exited normally

      October Webinars: Code for Performance

      Android apps secure.