World-class education in Ontario means more opportunity for students

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2011

      Ontario public students rank among the world's elite

      Progress continues in Ontario schools, as test scores continue to rise, and Ontario students now rank among the best in the world. Results released from the independent Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO) show that 69 per cent of Grade 3 and 6 students are mastering reading, writing and math skills -- a 15 percentage point increase since 2003.

      Students are reaching higher because Ontario invested in smaller classes, fixed school buildings, hired more teachers and students didn't lose one day to teacher strikes. To reach the Province's next goal of 75 per cent, we're moving forward with bold new initiatives like full-day kindergarten.

      The Harris-Hudak PCs closed schools, fired teachers and lost 26 million teaching days to strikes -- and only 54 per cent of students were meeting the provincial standard when they left office. The PCs have a $14 billion hole in their platform which means they're planning unnamed cuts to education that will bring cuts, chaos and confrontation back to classrooms.

      Far fewer kids in the Peel District and Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Boards are learning in portables today. There are two new high schools in western Misissauga, and four new elementary schools. Our existing schools have all been upgraded to 21st century standards since 2003.

      Only the Ontario Liberals have a plan for moving forward in education so that our children get the best possible start and so our economy has the most highly educated workforce in the world.