SAT MAY 13 - The Waconia Run

  • Adam Davila
    Message 1 of 15 , May 5, 2006
      The Waconia Run
      Saturday, May 13, 2006

      Our next ride will be an 82 mile jaunt through some pleasant countryside in the southwest suburbs. It will include lunch in Waconia and will end at a Dairy Queen for a post ride treat.
      Bob C. will be leading this trip and the plan is to meet at the Burger King* at the intersection of Hwy 5 & Eden Prairie Road in Eden Prairie. Departure time is 11:30 AM though folks are welcome to come earlier to socialize, but remember we will be having lunch around 1:00 PM in Waconia.

      In case of poor weather a notice will be posted in our forum by 10:00 AM on Saturday the 13th.  The route map & directions can be found at the link below.

      * The Burger King is located at 16345 West 78th Street in Eden Prairie.

    • RayPPCmn@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 15 , May 5, 2006

        I am confused....as usual. This is an 82 mile ride, yet the route map indicates it is only 37.6 miles from the start to Nancy's Landing. Where is the additional 44.4 miles?
        Ray in Woodbury    :O)

        The Waconia Run
        Saturday, May 13, 2006

        Our next ride will be an 82 mile jaunt through some pleasant countryside in the southwest suburbs. It will include lunch in Waconia and will end at a Dairy Queen for a post ride treat.

        Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
        http://mail.netscape.com
      • Bill Gentry
        Message 3 of 15 , May 6, 2006
          Ray,
          You missed the rest of the pages.  There is also a map showing the route back.
          Don't feel bad, I did the same thing.
          ---Backroads Bill

          Saturday, May 13, 2006

          Our next ride will be an 82 mile jaunt through some pleasant countryside in the southwest suburbs. It will include lunch in Waconia and will end at a Dairy Queen for a post ride treat.

          Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
          http://mail.netscape.com

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • ROBERT COPELAND
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6, 2006
            Jim

            There are two sections to the ride.  You are viewing the
            first half.  Adam emailed both attachments - just open up
            the second attachment and the map and details are there
            for the second half of the ride.

            Bob Copeland

            Message 5 of 15 , May 6, 2006
              Thanks to Bob and Bill. I am planning to ride today to the start of the Waconia Ride from my home in Woodbury in order to familiarize myself with the route there and back. Hope to stay off the Freeways. I got my drivers licence with the endorcement yesterday. Ray in Woodbury :O)

              >Back Roads Bill writes: You missed the rest of the pages.  There is also a map showing the route back. Don't feel bad, I did the same thing.

              >Bob writes: There are two sections to the ride. You are viewing the
              first half.

              >>Ray writes: I am confused....as usual. This is an 82 mile ride, yet the route map indicates it is only 37.6 miles from the start to Nancy's Landing. Where is the additional 44.4 miles?

              Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

              Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

            • ROBERT COPELAND
              Message 6 of 15 , May 6, 2006
                Ray,

                I hope you did well on your ride to the start of the Waconia Run.
                I changed my philosophy about freeways.  I actually think they are
                safer- no one turns left in front of you.  I get in the far right lane and
                drive 45 - 50 mph.  I keep way back from he vehicle in front and
                cruise down the road.  Obviously, do what you feel confortable with.

                From Woodbury there is only one turn on Hwy 5, if you come all
                the way around on Hwy 494.    Good luck and be safe.

                Bob Copeland

                RayPPCmn@... wrote:
                Thanks to Bob and Bill. I am planning to ride today to the start of the Waconia Ride from my home in Woodbury in order to familiarize myself with the route there and back. Hope to stay off the Freeways. I got my drivers licence with the endorcement yesterday. Ray in Woodbury :O)

                >Back Roads Bill writes: You missed the rest of the pages.  There is also a map showing the route back. Don't feel bad, I did the same thing.

                >Bob writes: There are two sections to the ride.  You are viewing the
                first half.

                >>Ray writes: I am confused....as usual. This is an 82 mile ride, yet the route map indicates it is only 37.6 miles from the start to Nancy's Landing. Where is the additional 44.4 miles?

                Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

                Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

              • jpreynolds1946
                Message 7 of 15 , May 6, 2006
                  -Hi Robert
                  From what I have heard it is much safer to travel on the freeways
                  then on 2 lane roads.This was according to some tests that were
                  done ,not just my opinion.So I dont know how true it is.

                  Jim Reynolds

                  http://isp.netscape.com/register

                  > Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                  > Vespa scooters

                  Service.

                  > ---------------------------------
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  call rates.

                • joayn_dana
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 6, 2006
                    --- In Minn-Max@yahoogroups.com, ROBERT COPELAND <rorval48@...> wrote:

                    Bob,
                    Is that true of 35w? I can't seem to relieve the death grip on
                    that highway.
                    JoAyn

                    > Ray,
                    >
                    > I hope you did well on your ride to the start of the Waconia Run.
                    > I changed my philosophy about freeways. I actually think they are
                    > safer- no one turns left in front of you. I get in the far right
                    lane and
                    > drive 45 - 50 mph. I keep way back from he vehicle in front and
                    > cruise down the road. Obviously, do what you feel confortable
                    with.

                    > From Woodbury there is only one turn on Hwy 5, if you come all
                    > the way around on Hwy 494. Good luck and be safe.
                    >
                    > Bob Copeland
                    >
                    > RayPPCmn@... wrote:
                    > Thanks to Bob and Bill. I am planning to ride today to the start
                    of the Waconia Ride from my home in Woodbury in order to familiarize
                    myself with the route there and back. Hope to stay off the Freeways.
                    I got my drivers licence with the endorcement yesterday. Ray in
                    Woodbury :O)

                    > >Back Roads Bill writes: You missed the rest of the pages. There
                    is also a map showing the route back. Don't feel bad, I did the same
                    thing.

                    > >Bob writes: There are two sections to the ride. You are viewing
                    the
                    > first half.
                    >

                    > >>Ray writes: I am confused....as usual. This is an 82 mile ride,
                    yet the route map indicates it is only 37.6 miles from the start to
                    Nancy's Landing. Where is the additional 44.4 miles?

                    > Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
                    http://isp.netscape.com/register

                    > Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                    > Vespa scooters

                    Service.

                    > ---------------------------------
                    >

                    > ---------------------------------
                    call rates.

                  • Bill Gentry
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                      For what it's worth, I been scooting for almost 29,000 miles and
                      have avoided freeways all that time. For me it takes all the fun
                      out of scootin' and, besides, I would have to change my name from
                      Backroads Bill to "Another Idiot on the Freeway" Bill.
                      Love those stress-free backroads.
                      ---Backroads Bill

                      wrote:

                      > Ray,
                      >
                      > I hope you did well on your ride to the start of the Waconia Run.
                      > I changed my philosophy about freeways. I actually think they
                      are
                      > safer- no one turns left in front of you. I get in the far
                      right lane and
                      > drive 45 - 50 mph. I keep way back from he vehicle in front and
                      > cruise down the road. Obviously, do what you feel confortable
                      with.

                      > From Woodbury there is only one turn on Hwy 5, if you come all
                      > the way around on Hwy 494. Good luck and be safe.
                      >
                      > Bob Copeland
                      >
                      > RayPPCmn@... wrote:
                      > Thanks to Bob and Bill. I am planning to ride today to the start
                      of the Waconia Ride from my home in Woodbury in order to familiarize
                      myself with the route there and back. Hope to stay off the Freeways.
                      I got my drivers licence with the endorcement yesterday. Ray in
                      Woodbury :O)

                      > >Back Roads Bill writes: You missed the rest of the pages. There
                      is also a map showing the route back. Don't feel bad, I did the same
                      thing.

                      > >Bob writes: There are two sections to the ride. You are viewing
                      the
                      > first half.
                      >

                      > >>Ray writes: I am confused....as usual. This is an 82 mile ride,
                      yet the route map indicates it is only 37.6 miles from the start to
                      Nancy's Landing. Where is the additional 44.4 miles?

                      > Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
                      http://isp.netscape.com/register

                      > Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                      > Vespa scooters

                      Service.

                    • RayPPCmn@netscape.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                        I agree with you Bill, however I am coming to the conclusion that if I am to get to the majority of the schduled Minn-Max rides from where I live,
                        it will require some if not all freeway travel. To save time, avoid all the stop and go cross traffic and just downright dangerous twists and turns involved in urban travel. The only alternative would be to trailer my Burgman. That involves the problem of finding suitable parking at the ride site and increased fuel usage. Ray in Woodbury. :O)

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                          Ray,
                          I felt the same way when I first started riding with the group back in 2002.
                          However, I now just reqard the trip to the starting point as another adventure and allow time to get there.  I actually enjoy urban riding because of the many things to see along the way.
                          However everyone must do what is best for them.  The main thing is to enjoy each others company on the group rides.
                          Happy scootin',
                          Backroads Bill

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                            Joayn_dana,

                            It is important to do what you feel the most confortable  and
                            safes with.  All of us have a history on 2 wheelers.
                            I am really amazed and give a lot of credit to people who have
                            never riden and take up the hobby of riding.  Of course, we all
                            rode bicycles, with fond memories of zipping down the
                            block with the wind blowing in our hair.

                            My folks, for safety reasons, would never let me buy a motocycle
                            in High School.  When I went in the US Navy, I bought a Honda
                            125cc.  I remember going behind the Honda Dealer, driving for 2
                            hours on residential streets to get up enough courage to ride back
                            to the Navy base.  Later, I went over seas and bought a Ducati
                            350cc combination street/scambler.  I rode for 4 years in the service
                            and did not ride again for 30 years.

                            I really missed riding, my wife was opposed to it.  She does ride
                            2 up with me around the area.  I enjoy slow speeds, 30-45 mph
                            to see the sights and smell the roses.  After all, I only bought a
                            150cc scooter.

                            I would take the back roads to work on the limited times I actually
                            drove to work.  One day I hit the freeway, got to work in half the time.
                            I found that right lane, staying way back taking it easy okay.

                            If I have any choice, I stay of freeways.

                            Bob Copeland

                            joayn_dana <joayn_dana@...> wrote:
                            --- In Minn-Max@yahoogroups.com, ROBERT COPELAND <rorval48@...> wrote:

                            Bob,
                               Is that true of 35w? I can't seem to relieve the death grip on
                            that highway.
                            JoAyn

                            > Ray,
                            >
                            >   I hope you did well on your ride to the start of the Waconia Run.
                            >   I changed my philosophy about freeways.  I actually think they are
                            >   safer- no one turns left in front of you.  I get in the far right
                            lane and
                            >   drive 45 - 50 mph.  I keep way back from he vehicle in front and
                            >   cruise down the road.  Obviously, do what you feel confortable
                            with.

                            >   From Woodbury there is only one turn on Hwy 5, if you come all
                            >   the way around on Hwy 494.    Good luck and be safe.
                            >
                            >   Bob Copeland
                            >
                            > RayPPCmn@... wrote:
                            >   Thanks to Bob and Bill. I am planning to ride today to the start
                            of the Waconia Ride from my home in Woodbury in order to familiarize
                            myself with the route there and back. Hope to stay off the Freeways.
                            I got my drivers licence with the endorcement yesterday. Ray in
                            Woodbury :O)

                            > >Back Roads Bill writes: You missed the rest of the pages.  There
                            is also a map showing the route back. Don't feel bad, I did the same
                            thing.

                            > >Bob writes: There are two sections to the ride.  You are viewing
                            the
                            > first half.
                            >

                            > >>Ray writes: I am confused....as usual. This is an 82 mile ride,
                            yet the route map indicates it is only 37.6 miles from the start to
                            Nancy's Landing. Where is the additional 44.4 miles?

                            > Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
                            http://isp.netscape.com/register

                            > Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                            >         Vespa scooters

                            Service.

                            > ---------------------------------
                            >

                            > ---------------------------------
                            > How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low  PC-to-Phone
                            call rates.

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          • joayn_dana
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 9, 2006
                              --- In Minn-Max@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gentry" <bgentryusa@...>
                              wrote:

                              Bill,
                              My "backroads" to and from work are the Uof M campus... Stress
                              free??? I don't think so.
                              JoAyn

                              http://channels.netscape.com/ns/search/install.jsp

                            • Jeanne.Hall@spps.org
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 9, 2006
                                Hi Joayn,

                                I've lost track of your opinion on freeways.  Are you going on the Sat. ride?  Would you like to find a non-freeway route out to the start?  I think the Helix is just too small on the freeway.  I've done it and it is not fun.

                                Jeanne

                                "joayn_dana" <joayn_dana@...>
                                Sent by: Minn-Max@yahoogroups.com

                                05/09/06 05:12 PM
                                Please respond to Minn-Max

                                        To:        Minn-Max@yahoogroups.com
                                        cc:
                                        Subject:        [Minn-Max] Re: SAT MAY 13 - The Waconia Run

                                wrote:

> [...]

                                > thing.
                                > >
                                > > >Bob writes: There are two sections to the ride.  You
                                are
                                viewing
                                > the
                                > > first half.

                                mile
                                ride,
                                > yet the route map indicates it is only 37.6 miles from the start
                                > Nancy's Landing. Where is the additional 44.4 miles?

                                > > Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
                                > > As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at

                                http://isp.netscape.com/register

                                > > Netscape. Just the Net You Need.
                                > >
                                > > New! Netscape Toolbar for Internet Explorer
                                > > Search from anywhere on the Web and block those annoying pop-ups.
                                > > Download now at

                                http://channels.netscape.com/ns/search/install.jsp

                                > >         Vespa scooters

                                > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                                Terms of
                                > Service.
                                > >

                                > > ---------------------------------
                                > >

                                > > ---------------------------------
                                > > How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low  PC-to-
                                Phone
                                > call rates.

                                Vespa scooters

                                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                              • joayn_dana
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 10, 2006
                                  --- In Minn-Max@yahoogroups.com, Jeanne.Hall@... wrote:

                                  Hi Back!
                                  \ I don't know yet about Saturday. If it looks like a pretty good
                                  chance of rain, I'll probably pass. I don't mind riding in a little
                                  rain but not that far. I'll let you know a little later. I'm only
                                  interested in highways back and forth to work.. I don't perfer them
                                  as a rule. If you know the way, that would be great.
                                  JoAyn

                                  Service.