Re: Indexing Dividing Heads

  • ny_huggybear
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 11, 2010
      Thanks Anthony, John.

      I had been considering this:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390204979900

      Which is actually the BS-0:
      http://www.vertex-tw.com.tw/products/products_list.php?language=_eng&cid=13#pro

      Even though the seller says 25lbs, the site says 20Kgs(44lbs).

      I'm not sure about the negatives of a B&S taper, but if you still think it's to large, then perhaps I should drop the idea anyway.

      Thanks.

      Darren

    • anthrhodes@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 12, 2010
        John,

        Smallest B&S-style dividing head I know of is the Marvin #D-1400 at 2-1/8" center height. Available new in the 1950s, long gone I'm afraid and sell for a fortune now if you find one. In 1955 they were listed at $125, pretty much a fortune back then.

        That's the simple version. The smallest geared version I know of, with spiralling and differential gearing, was made as a one-off by Ivan Law in the UK maybe 7 or 8 years ago, about 2-1/4" (?) center height. Ivan has written extensively on gear cutting in the home shop and is also the primary source for castings for the Quorn tool and cutter grinder as well as a number of other casting sets for model engineers.

        Having said the above, I have to agree with you regarding the non-availability of small tilting dividing heads.

        Anthony
        Berkeley, Calif.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 12, 2010
          Darren,

          The Vertex BS-0 is 4" center height, BS-1 is 5-1/16", and BS-2, with gearing capabilities, is 5-1/4". BS-2 is also much heavier and much more expensive. I see that on their web site the Vertex heads are listed with MT-2, -3, and -4 tapers respectively.

          At a guess I think the Vertex heads are too large for a mini-mill. If usable on your mill the BS-0 would be suitable for bevel gear cutting but not helical, which requires the gearing.

          Finally, if you do decide to get the dividing head you pointed out on Ebay make certain that it comes with all three division plates and the foot stock.

          Anthony
          Berkeley, Calif.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 12, 2010
            My 6" Vertex rotary table's center height is 3.94", and my Vertex tailstock's adjustable center is 3.15" to 4.33". So I assume that a dividing head's center would have to be in that range.

            (For some reason sellers don't seem to like stating the center height).

            --- In Mini-Mills@yahoogroups.com, anthrhodes@... wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > Smallest B&S-style dividing head I know of is the Marvin #D-1400 at 2-1/8"
            > center height. Available new in the 1950s, long gone I'm afraid and sell
            > for a fortune now if you find one. In 1955 they were listed at $125, pretty
            > much a fortune back then.
            >
            > That's the simple version. The smallest geared version I know of, with
            > spiralling and differential gearing, was made as a one-off by Ivan Law in the
            > UK maybe 7 or 8 years ago, about 2-1/4" (?) center height. Ivan has written
            > extensively on gear cutting in the home shop and is also the primary source
            > for castings for the Quorn tool and cutter grinder as well as a number of
            > other casting sets for model engineers.
            >
            > Having said the above, I have to agree with you regarding the
            > non-availability of small tilting dividing heads.
            >
            > Anthony
            > Berkeley, Calif.
            >

            > In a message dated Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:11 am (PDT), John Z. writes:
            >
            > A dividing head that will do the vertical angle adjustment is going to
            > be MASSIVE sitting on a little HF 44991 X2 mini-mill though. I've never
            > seen a small dividing head...(?)

          • ny_huggybear
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 14, 2010
              Ok. What is not possible to do with my rotary table?

              Or can I theoretically/plausibly cut any gear type I want if I find the right way?

              Lastly, what center height would I have to look for in a dividing head in order to conclude it would be acceptable for use with my mill/drll?

              Thanks a lot.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 14, 2010
                Ok, after further research I've concluded that dividing tables aren't made small enough for mini mill/drills.

                Even the one I was considering wasn't small enough:
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390204979900

                So I'll have to concentrate on just what I can do with my mill/drill and purchase bevel and helical gears when I have to.

                Thanks.

                Darren