Man dies in Knott County mine accident

  • USMRA
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26 11:20 AM
      Man dies in Knott County mine accident

      WYMT

      April 26, 2012

      A man is dead after a mining accident in Eastern Kentucky.

      MSHA officials say it happened around 9:00 Wednesday morning at the McCoy Elkhorn coal mine near the Mousie community in Knott County.

      Contract workers were removing a belt line from the mine when one worker fell off a catwalk about 15 feet in the air.

      Officials say he suffered a head injury and died on the way to the hospital.

      "MSHA takes any accidents seriously, and certainly a fatality. What we would initially do generally is order that section of the mine or the entire mine shut down so we can conduct an investigation," said MSHA spokesperson Amy Louviere.

      The man's body was taken to Frankfort for an autopsy. His name has not been released.

      Officials say the mine is active, but in a non-producing status.

      This is the 7th mining death this year.

      U. S. Mine Rescue Association

      http://www.usmra.com